Author Topic: KISS, my holy grail pin is here!!  (Read 25884 times)

Offline Bayview

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Hervey Bay. Qld.
Re: KISS, my holy grail pin is here!!
« Reply #60 on: December 20, 2010, 09:46:39 AM »

Shellite (White Spirits) is also called Naptha in the USA.
Well I didn't know they were all the same thing.  ^^^ Thanks for that info Nino.
Ya just gotta luv an EM.

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #61 on: December 20, 2010, 10:10:21 AM »
Well done this machine looks nice and will come up a treat-Bet your spewing work got in the way when your on a roll ^&(.

Peter

Offline SPURR

• Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #62 on: December 20, 2010, 01:11:15 PM »
Mitch, I use wax and grease remover from Supercheap. What is the chemical name for this? is it shellite.

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #63 on: December 20, 2010, 02:46:33 PM »
Wax and grease remover is SHELLITE

NAPTHA is SHELLITE

WHITE SPIRIT is NOT SHELLITE

... Just thought id clear that up

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #64 on: December 20, 2010, 02:51:25 PM »

NAPTHA is SHELLITE

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naphtha

"Shellite (Australia), also known as white gas (North America), white spirit (outside the UK) or Coleman fuel, is a white liquid with a hydrocarbon odour."
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #65 on: December 20, 2010, 02:58:34 PM »
Mitch, I use wax and grease remover from Supercheap. What is the chemical name for this? is it shellite.

Thats what im using, wax & grease remover from Supercheap. Prepsol is just another brand name i think for the same stuff so thats what i refer to it as. So the Supercheap wax & grease remover IS Prepsol far as im concerned.. its the same stuff as the "Prepsol" brand i used years ago when working with my brother spraypainting/panelbeating cars.

Anyway... back on topic, update coming tonight *%*
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 03:00:42 PM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #66 on: December 20, 2010, 03:13:47 PM »

NAPTHA is SHELLITE

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naphtha

"Shellite (Australia), also known as white gas (North America), white spirit (outside the UK) or Coleman fuel, is a white liquid with a hydrocarbon odour."

Interesting.... but the two have distinctly different smells and also behave differently in situations. Yes the two may well come from the same source but its a bit like saying deisel and petrol are the same substance

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #67 on: December 20, 2010, 10:31:37 PM »
HI guys here is a bit of an update as promised...

Ok, after the mylar glue clean up, i started on the lower section with the Magic Eraser and isopropyl alcohol on the areas of ball swirl, followed by a scrub with Prepsol and rag. After the mylar and glue removal, plus this work its starting to look better already with nice n bright colours!

First pic is of the right hand side just above the right flipper area, before cleaning, the rest are of the areas already cleaned up, didnt get before pics of the left side and outhole area  @.@
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 10:34:05 PM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #68 on: December 20, 2010, 10:49:07 PM »
and now some pics of the bonus inserts area that i started on yesterday.

first couple of pics show what i had to deal with. Some of this happened with the mylar removal  ^&^
With this PF, im using white primer instead of the grey i have used in the past, so it should be much easier getting good paint coverage. In the 1st pic you can see i was starting to apply the primer around one of the inserts when the pic was taken. The primer was sanded with 400 grit wet&dry and windex, then wiped down with Prepsol prior to spraying any colour on.  

To paint this area im using.. once again automotive spray can acrylics, only with this section i decided to use the airbrush with the chosen colour, its called bahama beige, and is a pretty decent match for the yellowed white in this area, plus using the air brush allowed me to blend the colour into the original colour, making any difference less noticeable, plus allowing me to still see the text underneath so i could reproduce it later.

I also used this colour to fill in a few cracks, just brushing it into the cracks, leaving it slightly raised above the pf surface then block sanding it level with 400 grit wet&dry and windex and a cork sanding block cut down in size for doing small areas. In the 3rd pic you can see where i have filled in some small divots in the surface of the PF. last pic is after a couple of light coats with the airbrush, plus some more filling having been done, yet to be sanded back smooth when the pic was taken.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 09:52:59 PM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #69 on: December 20, 2010, 10:59:57 PM »
And here is what i have done this afternoon..

I got home and block sanded the paint back level, ready for a couple more light coats with the airbrush. In the 1st pic i am re-doing the '1000' and '3000' text, and reinked the 'bonus' lettering.

And 2nd pic with the rest of the text done, i ended up using laser printer waterslide decals for these, made form pics taken of the area before hand, and cleaned up and resized in photoshop. I may end up redoing the 'bonus' text in the same way... This laser waterslide decal paper is MUCH better than the inkjet paper, as you dont have to clearcoat the decal before using, so it ends up a lot thinner and a LOT less noticeable on the end product, in fact most people would never know they are decals unless they are pointed out!

next i will remove the rest of the inserts and re-level and refit them to the PF, then i will move onto the next section to repair!!
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 11:02:50 PM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline FirePower

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #70 on: December 21, 2010, 09:40:51 AM »
Looks great - thanks for the pics.

Offline howzat

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #71 on: December 21, 2010, 04:26:03 PM »
Hi Mitch

Its looking good and its good of Martin to help you with it   It must of been good to get it striped down and   into the p/f jig  I will catch up with you at xmas    Howzat

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #72 on: January 03, 2011, 11:32:00 PM »
Quick update:

For the last few days, i've been busy leveling inserts. For the arrow inserts i decided to try something different, instead of sanding them flat. When i did the inserts on Travel time, i found that with the clock arrow inserts, sanding the inserts weakened them, making it a real ordeal getting them level with the pf surface. So with this pf, after i had glued the arrow inserts in, i decided to try leveling them by spraying clear acrylic lacquer over the inserts then sanding the clear level with the pf surface. I knew this would be time consuming to do, requiring multiple coats and sanding between coats to get the the clear level, but i thought it was worth trying.

First thing i did was to cut out a cardboard stencil of the inserts shape for spraying the clear on, When glueing the inserts i actually deliberately allowed the insert to sit very slightly below the pf surface (since i use PVA woodglue for the inserts, it would be fairly easy for me to remove them if this idea didnt work).

I tried it on just one insert first before committing to doing them all. The 1st pic here shows the stencil and the clear being sprayed on (i sanded the inserts lightly with 400 grit prior to installing them and spraying). 2nd pic shows one of the inserts with the clear sprayed on and drying. When dry, i sanded the clear with 600 grit wet&dry and Windex, until level with the pf. of course i had to do this several times (spray more clear and sand) before i had it level. This actually worked well, well enough that i did the rest of the arrow inserts this way.

3rd pic shows the white, yellow and green arrow inserts leveled. after i had the four left hand side arrows levelled, i lightly sanded them and the surrounding PF surface with 800 grit wet&dry & Windex, and followed that with 1200 grit. Ideally a polish with some Novus would've been the next step, but i didnt have any on hand so i used some "Re-po Paint Doctor" car paint fine scratch removing polish, they came up a treat after this step (not yet done in these pics) and because this stuff contains wax, i followed this with a wipe over with Prepsol and cloth, so i wouldnt have any problems when doing the black around the inserts. Incidentally, when i sanded the inserts i made sure not to remove the black from the inserts, so as to make it easier later on to re-do the black around them.

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #73 on: January 03, 2011, 11:35:18 PM »
More pics; this time the lower orange inserts. I was still doing the inserts one at a time at this stage> When i came to the right hand side arrows i made a stencil to do the four at once, saving me a bit of time :D

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #74 on: January 03, 2011, 11:48:37 PM »
After i had all of the arrow inserts done, i started re-doing the black around them. I had already glued the K-I-S-S inserts a week ago before i had started on the arrow inserts. In the 1st pic i am just starting to repaint the insert black circles, painting them by hand, using the original black which was still visible under the airbrushed white.

And a pic of how its looking so far. In this pic i still have a half of the round inserts to do, all of the arrow inserts have had the black redone.

Last pic for now, i started reinstalling the lower PF inserts, the 2X insert has been filled with clear same as the arrow inserts, allowing me to save the text on the insert, rather than making a decal as i have done in the past. The other three inserts i sanded them flat before installing.