Author Topic: KISS, my holy grail pin is here!!  (Read 24702 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: KISS, my holy grail pin is here!!
« Reply #75 on: January 04, 2011, 11:00:48 AM »

Impressive results !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #76 on: January 04, 2011, 07:26:38 PM »
Top work Mitch I love the way your not afraid to try new ideas I mean it's only your holy Grail kiss machine let try something completely different lol

Great work

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #77 on: January 05, 2011, 10:32:23 PM »
Thanks guys  ^^^

a few more pics, marking out the circles for the inserts, so i could hand paint them.. these ones the black was too hard to see, or sanded off so i had to mark out where i had to paint to with a sharp pencil and a math-o-mat. there was still a little bit of tidying up of the black to be done when the last pic was taken, where i had gone outside of the lines slightly. This cleaned up nicely with just a bit of scraping with a scalpel.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 10:34:41 PM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #78 on: January 05, 2011, 10:40:04 PM »
1st pic, some of the damage done when the mylar rings around the bumpers were removed  ^&^
2nd pic same area but showing the "dragon", and the paint that lifted. this afternoon i hand painted all of the missing paint back in, using a downloaded pic of this area as a guide to recreate the missing detail as best as i could.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 10:02:49 PM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #79 on: January 05, 2011, 10:47:58 PM »
1st pic... here are the results, after about 2 hours or so of painting!! yes that was just to redo the just the damage done from removing the bumper mylar rings  ^&^
time taken up just matching the green colour which took several attempts to do, and to repaint in by hand the black detail lines, which was tricky to do and get neat, its still not perfect, there are a couple of bits that i will redo and tidy up a bit more, before moving on to the next section to be repaired. And all i had to go off was a picture downloaded from IPDB.

And finally a couple of pics giving an overview of what has been done so far.

Offline tonyt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #80 on: January 05, 2011, 11:29:24 PM »
Great work Mitch, coming along really nicely.

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #81 on: January 07, 2011, 12:54:41 PM »
Looking great Mitch  ^^^ Thanks for all the detailed tips re your insert work too.
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #82 on: January 08, 2011, 10:05:19 PM »
Today i did some work on the bumper area, which was pretty hammered. 1st pic shows what i was dealing with..

I started with the flames around the cauldron, rather than paint by hand i decided to mask off and spray paint the colours back in. In the 2nd pic im tracing the orange flames so i can redo them back in later. First i had filled the wear spots and areas of missing paint with primer and block sanded the whole area including the black which i also wanted to redo, with 400 grit wet&dry and Windex, followed by a wipe down with Prepsol. Next i masked off the area to be sprayed yellow, using clear contact, as per usual  :D and cut out the areas to be painted with a scalpel. Once again im using acrylic spraycans for most of this.. the colour is called yellow glow.

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #83 on: January 08, 2011, 10:14:34 PM »
Next i placed another piece of contact onto the yellow when it had dried ready to do the orange. Then i taped down the tracing i had done earlier for the orange flames, back onto the pf, lined it up with alignment marks i had made on it and placed some carbon paper underneath and traced the flames back onto the contact, in the 2nd pic you can see the tracings ready to be cut out.

The orange used was called Venus orange, and is the same colour i have used on both Wildfyre and Dracula, and is an almost exact match!

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #84 on: January 08, 2011, 10:28:59 PM »
the other area i worked on which was pretty bad was the catman and spaceman's faces, which came up pretty good just with a scrub with isopropyl alcohol and Magic eraser. also i redid the areas just below their faces, by masking off and spraying new colour. Notice in the 1st pic, i have sprayed in the off white below Ace's face.. before i sprayed the colour on, i traced over the black detail markings first with a sharpie pen, and allowed this to bleed back thru the paint after it was sprayed on. This trick allows me to draw or paint the lines/markings back in later after the white has dried!! Its a trick i stumbled across by accident on an earlier resto, when i had to repaint a section that had sharpie ink, and it kept bleeding back thru the paint i was laying down  ^&^

well now i have learned to exploit this to my advantage  #*#

Last couple of pics, a bit of a before and after  :D i still have a bit of work to sharpen up the detail a bit, but i was keen to post some progress pics!!

Also i still have to redo the black around the top bumper area and in the cauldron.. will be done tomorrow.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 10:38:40 PM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #85 on: January 09, 2011, 10:17:27 AM »
You always make it sound so simple Mitch .. tks for the update
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #86 on: January 10, 2011, 04:49:30 PM »
Some more progress pics;

I've been able to get heaps done, being on holidays from work. i've been just repainting sections of the pf one at a time,
pics; repainting the orange around the cauldron and the black around the top bumper.

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #87 on: January 10, 2011, 04:53:12 PM »
more pics, this time redoing the white above the bumpers and around the top rollover lanes..
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 04:55:33 PM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #88 on: January 10, 2011, 05:00:00 PM »
but wait there's more!  :D

not much to do now, still have a few inserts to level, and i plan on redoing all of the white under the plastics areas (pic of slings area done, pic below) and just a few small areas to touch up and i'm done!!  #*#

Offline OLPINZ

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #89 on: January 10, 2011, 05:57:26 PM »
Hey mate im new on here but have a suggestion for your backglass.
I have always used playfield ( 3m brand ) mylar for any flaky glasses and have neveraad a drama other than the occaisional air bubble if its not applied correctly.
I can see why you want to stick the paint to the glass initially and that sounds like a good idea but i would seal it with mylar if it were mine.
I always would worry that the TT may crack at some stage and crack the paint as well.
this cant happen with mylar.