Author Topic: Bally MPU-35 Obsolete Oscillator Chip Replacement PCB  (Read 396 times)

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
Bally MPU-35 Obsolete Oscillator Chip Replacement PCB
« on: December 21, 2010, 08:23:55 PM »
Well during the course of making the replacement Bally MPU board I bought a few 'dead' boards from a Fleabay seller in the USA for comparisons and checking. When they arrived I was very impressed with the condition of them all and I was astounded that someone would even write these boards off....very little battery corrosion at all.

Most were missing some or all of the plug in chips but after getting the two 'best ones' going I decided to have a look at the third. It had no plug in chips and the obsolete clock chip was also gone and there was a socket in its place.

I am now far more familier with these boards and exactly what makes them tick than I have ever been (maybe TOO familier....hahaha). I had a closer look at this part of the circuit and thought that surely it can't be too hard to provide a clock pulse at around 500Khz??? It was then the penny dropped - this board (more specifically this chip along with its mate next to it) actually generate TWO clock pulses that are inverted from each other. OK, that still can't be too hard...so I lashed up a breadboard circuit using a bog standard 74LS00 and a few caps and resistors chosen pretty much by guestimation. Stuck the CRO on it and BINGO - I had two clock signals, one an inversion of the other - so far so good.

Here are some pics of my test setup:

Plugged into the socket on the MPU board:

Switched on and VOILA! I was met with the flashing green LED thanks to Leons test ROM. That was all good so as I was running a batch of PCB's I though I would whip up a couple and make it 'properly' - here are some pics:

Assembled and plugged into the socket in place of the original chip - no soldering, flyleads or any mods at all to the original board!

And here the CRO shows the two clock signals being generated - the frequency is a little low as you can observe on the CRO but that will just be the juggling of a capacitor value on the board - enough for today - that deserves a beer I think - even if I do say so myself - Hic.....…

This is actually so simple and so inexpensive I don't know why it hasn't been done before??? Probably $5 of parts plus the PCB but Veroboard (perfboard) would work just as well.

Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Re: Bally MPU-35 Obsolete Oscillator Chip Replacement PCB
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 08:28:40 PM »
That's awsome Mike so when do these bad boys hit the market???   

You really are one clever bloke that's for sure

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 10:44:40 PM »

Clever Mike. I stocked up on 9602 a while ago, but they have gone up in price. Your solution is cheaper !

@@*
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 11:37:38 PM »
Love your work Mike... awesome stuff.
 My guess is that soon all these boards will have many piggy back circuits to keep them going.

I also have another project for you.... PM coming soon

Offline bossgp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 08:21:33 AM »
Fantastic work as usual Mike, well done #*#

Offline FirePower

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 08:46:24 AM »
Another great bit of innovation - do you have a web site with all these boards and ideas you've created?  There'd be lots of pinheads interested in these clever solutions you've been coming up with.

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 09:05:03 AM »
Another great bit of innovation - do you have a web site with all these boards and ideas you've created?  There'd be lots of pinheads interested in these clever solutions you've been coming up with.

the website is in tatters - I will clean it all up when we get the first batch of Bally MPUs happening though.

www.homepin.com

Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals