Author Topic: Wizard Of OZ Pinball  (Read 57133 times)

Offline RottyGuy

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Forum Posts:
  • QLD
Re: Wizard Of OZ Pinball
« Reply #1305 on: April 09, 2013, 09:11:04 AM »
I am not busting JJP's balls

Really??

Someone should be

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #1306 on: April 09, 2013, 10:05:37 AM »
I think the WOZ pin will be great, but the extra long wait may rub some of the shine off of it. ?

I still think they are a few months away from starting the production line. These boards are still in design and testing, and redesign and retesting stages. Its going to take quite a few weeks, perhaps a few months ? to make 1,000 board sets, once the board design and testing gets finished.

As long as they are here by Xmas, Santa will be v happy.
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #1307 on: April 09, 2013, 11:04:38 AM »
I think the WOZ pin will be great, but the extra long wait may rub some of the shine off of it. ?

I still think they are a few months away from starting the production line. These boards are still in design and testing, and redesign and retesting stages. Its going to take quite a few weeks, perhaps a few months ? to make 1,000 board sets, once the board design and testing gets finished.

Yes - it will rub the shine off it for buyers that were there in the beginning. Having said that, this is JJP's first pinball machine. Not everything would run exactly on time. There's always a measure of delays for the first product as they learn the process. I look at it from this point of view - This platform is different from it's competitor's (mass producer of pinball) because it is using modern technology and there are innovations that the industry has not seen since the last innovation around the time of P2K. So there's a huge leap in technology and standards. Now JJP's competitors will be playing "catch up" and complacency is a thing of the past.

As a prospective NIB buyer, I would rather own a pinball with the right theme, rock solid reliability, availability of parts, completed code, real artwork (not Photoshopped rubbish), LEDs that don't fall out, clearcoat that is at least 3 layers with an even finish and most importantly - I want a game that does not have problems straight out the box.

I can wait for JJP, because their competitor has had years to sort out it's problems and has done nothing to address the myriad of problems with their builds.

So if I had paid a deposit for WOZ, I'd be frustrated. It is only natural. Since I have not, I am more understanding of the delays, and the desire for JJP to get it right from "game one".
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Cursed

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Tasmania
« Reply #1308 on: April 09, 2013, 11:29:46 AM »
I believe Jack has done the right thing by standing his ground and not releasing it until it is right, yes he is copping it now but i fully believe that all this will be nothing but a distant memory not too long after release. Provided he has learned from this and he releases Hobbit on time this will all be forgotten and the game is what will be remembered, not the delay.

I just hope it lives up to everyones expectations after such a long wait, which i think it will.

Offline noj472

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat, Victoria
« Reply #1309 on: April 09, 2013, 01:59:36 PM »

Yes - it will rub the shine off it for buyers that were there in the beginning. Having said that, this is JJP's first pinball machine. Not everything would run exactly on time. There's always a measure of delays for the first product as they learn the process. I look at it from this point of view - This platform is different from it's competitor's (mass producer of pinball) because it is using modern technology and there are innovations that the industry has not seen since the last innovation around the time of P2K. So there's a huge leap in technology and standards. Now JJP's competitors will be playing "catch up" and complacency is a thing of the past.

As a prospective NIB buyer, I would rather own a pinball with the right theme, rock solid reliability, availability of parts, completed code, real artwork (not Photoshopped rubbish), LEDs that don't fall out, clearcoat that is at least 3 layers with an even finish and most importantly - I want a game that does not have problems straight out the box.

I can wait for JJP, because their competitor has had years to sort out it's problems and has done nothing to address the myriad of problems with their builds.

So if I had paid a deposit for WOZ, I'd be frustrated. It is only natural. Since I have not, I am more understanding of the delays, and the desire for JJP to get it right from "game one".

Well said......totally agree *%*

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #1310 on: April 09, 2013, 04:49:02 PM »
Today is the new deadline for all the computerboards to turn up to JJP after the computer board deadline got missed a week or more ago.

Does anyone know or have heard IF the computer boards have all turned up, and if that being the final hurdle. has mow ?? been sorted, the production line is now starting up or not ??  !@#

I can answer my own question since I asked Jack from JJP the question etc.
Here is the response I got.

We we told it would be this week.

Boards have come in as ten of each sample production boards for
approval. As with anything that's a sample, it has to be examined and
tested. It's a process. We are not rushing this now to make a mistake
and have xxxxx many boards wrong.

I don't need more pressure put on top of this. We have enough pressure
on ourselves.

Nobody wants to ship games more than me.

If you need more information, call or e mail me.

So it appears another major date provided is likely to come n go. I am not busting JJP's balls, but they are the ones who provided the dates.

I wonder over the next few days or week or more if JJP buyers will get upset with production not starting, or if they will just roll with it as usual.??

As your are a self-professed wannabe one day Stern dealer, it is difficult not to see your recent line of JPP commentary as being anti-JPP. I'm sure it's not, but that's how it seems.

“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Cursed

• Forum Posts:
  • Tasmania
« Reply #1311 on: April 09, 2013, 06:07:24 PM »
Thanks to the David's at Bumper i got to have a few games today.

I will be the first to say the theme i personally do not care one way or the other, but i have to say WOW!

The Led's, ramps, toys, screen and build quality are amazing, the flipper strength issue is not an issue at all! It is perfectly balanced from my playtime, i had times where i hit the ramp 5 times in a row and others where it came screaming back at me and that was because it was not a 'clean' hit or shot. The leds are the best thing i have ever seen! EVER! It's not that they just change colour, it is that they are so vivid and strong with colour. As you can tell i was blown away by the Leds. I did not get to really start anything because i suck and it was on 2 ball but it felt like a well balanced machine, i had ball times that seemed to last a couple of minutes or more and others that lasted seconds!

The left upper playfield was fun and i enjoyed it, i did not get a go at the right upper playfield but i think that would be fun as well as rewarding. I can definately see the comparisons with TZ and to be honest it is a fair comparison, I would say it is TZ updated to todays tech with more flow! Both orbits i struggled to hit but when i did it felt great. The music......I know in my mind it was repetitive but i do know while i was playing i did not notice! Watching this and playing this i feel are 2 very different things, like any pinball really i guess. But for me the music was nowhere near as annoying as i was expecting and this is on unfinshed code!

It felt very solid and when the ball travelled on ramps, vuks or anywhere for that matter it felt smooth and nothing moved on the playfield. It was solid as a rock! All of the plastics and toys look top quality and made to last, the whole machine really does 'ooze' quality! As i said i did not get anything really started so i cant comment on modes or multiball, but looking at the playfield i can see where the modes will come into it. I am not a JJP fanboy or hater ,did not start any real modes or multiball, am not a fan of the theme, expected to walk away thinking 'meh' and i have to say i walked away thinking this will be an awesome pin to play when it is done.

I will be honest it is out of my price range and i doubt i will buy one for at least a few years, but i can tell you i WILL play this onsite and i could easily see it being in my collection at some point. And i NEVER thought i would say that about WOZ! I knew i would play it, but not consider owning it! I also know that my missus will love this machine and i feel that will be the same for alot of women out there. I even remember involuntarily laughing at a couple of the call outs and i have not seen the movie!

To everyone that has bought one i honestly believe it will be worth the wait! And us snipers waiting for buyers to sell due to being underwhelmed i don't think will happen much like AC/DC. To the haters i say stop hating and wait till you have played it, i was not a hater but i certainly did not care for it and i walked away writing all this!!

To JJP, yes you have taken to long! But after today, i have to say if i had invested in this machine i would be over the moon and would be very happy that you have stuck to your guns. I will pay more attention to JJP now, not because of him, his past, his themes, his popularity or his methods. But because of his GAME! The quality and care is just so obvious! Well done to the JJP team.

The future of pinball is looking great indeed!

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #1312 on: April 09, 2013, 06:11:53 PM »

I will be the first to say the theme i personally do not care one way or the other, but i have to say WOW!

The Led's, ramps, toys, screen and build quality are amazing, the flipper strength issue is not an issue at all! It is perfectly balanced from my playtime, i had times where i hit the ramp 5 times in a row and others where it came screaming back at me and that was because it was not a 'clean' hit or shot. The leds are the best thing i have ever seen! EVER! It's not that they just change colour, it is that they are so vivid and strong with colour. As you can tell i was blown away by the Leds. I did not get to really start anything because i suck and it was on 2 ball but it felt like a well balanced machine, i had ball times that seemed to last a couple of minutes or more and others that lasted seconds!

The left upper playfield was fun and i enjoyed it, i did not get a go at the right upper playfield but i think that would be fun as well as rewarding. I can definately see the comparisons with TZ and to be honest it is a fair comparison, I would say it is TZ updated to todays tech with more flow! Both orbits i struggled to hit but when i did it felt great. The music......I know in my mind it was repetitive but i do know while i was playing i did not notice! Watching this and playing this i feel are 2 very different things, like any pinball really i guess. But for me the music was nowhere near as annoying as i was expecting and this is on unfinshed code!

It felt very solid and when the ball travelled on ramps, vuks or anywhere for that matter it felt smooth and nothing moved on the playfield. It was solid as a rock! All of the plastics and toys look top quality and made to last, the whole machine really does 'ooze' quality! As i said i did not get anything really started so i cant comment on modes or multiball, but looking at the playfield i can see where the modes will come into it. I am not a JJP fanboy or hater ,did not start any real modes or multiball, am not a fan of the theme, expected to walk away thinking 'meh' and i have to say i walked away thinking this will be an awesome pin to play when it is done.

I will be honest it is out of my price range and i doubt i will buy one for at least a few years, but i can tell you i WILL play this onsite and i could easily see it being in my collection at some point. And i NEVER thought i would say that about WOZ! I knew i would play it, but not consider owning it! I also know that my missus will love this machine and i feel that will be the same for alot of women out there. I even remember involuntarily laughing at a couple of the call outs and i have not seen the movie!

To everyone that has bought one i honestly believe it will be worth the wait! And us snipers waiting for buyers to sell due to being underwhelmed i don't think will happen much like AC/DC. To the haters i say stop hating and wait till you have played it, i was not a hater but i certainly did not care for it and i walked away writing all this!!

To JJP, yes you have taken to long! But after today, i have to say if i had invested in this machine i would be over the moon and would be very happy that you have stuck to your guns. I will pay more attention to JJP now, not because of him, his past, his themes, his popularity or his methods. But because of his GAME! The quality and care is just so obvious! Well done to the JJP team.

Great report and thanks for sharing  ^^^
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline Freiherr

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
« Reply #1313 on: April 09, 2013, 07:08:10 PM »

I will be the first to say the theme i personally do not care one way or the other, but i have to say WOW

Thanks mate for a good unbiased review. I knew from other reports that quality would be A1 but from what you say it is better than A1.

My only nightmare is that my wife and 3 daughters will want one as the theme is right up their yellow brick road.
If you don't remember the 70s then you were on drugs.
If you remember playing pinball in the 70s you were having a good time.
If you don't remember anything,  then read about it here,

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #1314 on: April 09, 2013, 07:22:15 PM »
Reports from USA regarding the limited code WOZ's that have been sited is that it way out performs any other pinball for many years. whether this is due to sheer curiosity or that the game genuinely attracts people who just want to play it because it screams PLAY ME is yet to be proven... delays or not, this machine does point a new way forward and the fact that there is so much discussion about it proves just how much it is keenly anticipated.. im sure if Playmatic were to reopen the factory doors there would be nowhere near as much heated debate.

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #1315 on: April 09, 2013, 07:36:09 PM »
At the home show it was like a magnet just kept pulling people towards it.    Biggest difference between this and other pins is it was the husbands dragging the wives away half the time

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #1316 on: April 09, 2013, 07:56:30 PM »
Reports from USA regarding the limited code WOZ's that have been sited is that it way out performs any other pinball for many years. whether this is due to sheer curiosity or that the game genuinely attracts people who just want to play it because it screams PLAY ME is yet to be proven... delays or not, this machine does point a new way forward and the fact that there is so much discussion about it proves just how much it is keenly anticipated.. im sure if Playmatic were to reopen the factory doors there would be nowhere near as much heated debate.

That's great news for pinball that people are still putting coin into the slot, more money more pinballs hopefully :-)

Peter

Offline Sunfox

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #1317 on: April 09, 2013, 08:31:36 PM »
That hasnt happened multiple times now, and we find out that the truth is that boards are still in testing and design phase, not even ready for mass production. People were led to believe, according to my enquiries, that boards in finished mass numbers were arriving 8th April, and then the line could start...it has not.

The boards are not even ready to go to full production, and the line cannot start because of it.

The boards are designed. They are ready to go into production. The blanks have been received from China. What's happening right now is the board production company has sent off 10 of each board (there are at least a dozen of them) that they require the final okay on before beginning final mass production. Like the last proofreading of a novel, Jack doesn't want to have 1000 produced of something only to find a critical flaw that could've been caught and fixed before production. My guess is that the proofing is complete, and the final sets are supposed to begin arriving this week. Prior posts indicate that he has received mass quantities of individual boards, but not all of the boards yet.

And yes, I too was expecting everything on the 8th, not the week of the 8th.

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
« Reply #1318 on: April 09, 2013, 08:40:27 PM »
Jacks own words were (to the effect) "this is what we can expect of manufacturing in the USA" - now we find out the boards are actually made in China......

I have no problem with that - they will probably be better than USA made ones BUT where is the truth???

I'm glad it looks like we might actually be close to seeing finished machines but really, if Stern carried on like this imagine the kerfuffle......

I also fully understand that it is the first machine but JJP put themselves in a sticky position by taking peoples money upfront - YEARS upfront.....and then to take money on a second title - please, that's close to fraudulent IMO.

That hasnt happened multiple times now, and we find out that the truth is that boards are still in testing and design phase, not even ready for mass production. People were led to believe, according to my enquiries, that boards in finished mass numbers were arriving 8th April, and then the line could start...it has not.

The boards are not even ready to go to full production, and the line cannot start because of it.

The boards are designed. They are ready to go into production. The blanks have been received from China. What's happening right now is the board production company has sent off 10 of each board (there are at least a dozen of them) that they require the final okay on before beginning final mass production. Like the last proofreading of a novel, Jack doesn't want to have 1000 produced of something only to find a critical flaw that could've been caught and fixed before production. My guess is that the proofing is complete, and the final sets are supposed to begin arriving this week. Prior posts indicate that he has received mass quantities of individual boards, but not all of the boards yet.

And yes, I too was expecting everything on the 8th, not the week of the 8th.
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline Sunfox

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #1319 on: April 09, 2013, 08:59:05 PM »
Jacks own words were (to the effect) "this is what we can expect of manufacturing in the USA" - now we find out the boards are actually made in China......

No, no. The board *blanks* were made in China. Unpopulated. The boards are being populated with components, wave soldered, etc, in the USA. They would be allowed to bear "made in USA".
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 09:00:43 PM by Sunfox »