Author Topic: Wizard Of OZ Pinball  (Read 57132 times)

Offline 4_amusement_only

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Wizard Of OZ Pinball
« Reply #1635 on: July 18, 2013, 03:39:16 PM »
I see that a thread was started about this development later this morning. Disregard  #@#

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #1636 on: July 18, 2013, 04:52:28 PM »
Don't stress WOZ are still coming its all upto jack.   Bumper are taking a hit by bringing them over a few at a time as jack builds them as waiting for a container would take forever.

Offline Noodlebox

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #1637 on: July 20, 2013, 01:20:01 AM »
Therein is the entire problem with WOZ - the concept of it was flawed right from the very start.

Maybe those other systems ran a cr*p OS.

The WOZ runs Linux on a military spec Intel MB with SSD.

If this format is so unstable, how come the prototype at Bumper is still running well?

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
« Reply #1638 on: July 20, 2013, 09:46:03 AM »

Pinchroma also offered the following information as to why JJP decided to use a PC-based system in the game:

"The PC based decision was actually an easy one.  We selected a military grade motherboard."

Nothing but marketing BS!

!!@  !!@  !!@  !!@

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/SABERTOOTH_P67/
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
« Reply #1639 on: July 20, 2013, 09:48:51 AM »
Therein is the entire problem with WOZ - the concept of it was flawed right from the very start.

Maybe those other systems ran a cr*p OS.

The WOZ runs Linux on a military spec Intel MB with SSD.

If this format is so unstable, how come the prototype at Bumper is still running well?

If you believe the marketing crap about "military spec motherboad" then I have a bridge for sale......

I never suggested the format was unstable for a second - just a nightmare to repair, particularly when the "military grade" motherboard carks it!

But let's leave time to be the judge of this.
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline Zarnet

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #1640 on: July 22, 2013, 07:05:52 PM »

Yes, time will be the problem.  IMO, PC parts are not made to last, they have an effective life of around 5 years and are not really meant to be repaired, simply replaced.

I would imagine finding a 10 year old motherboard, ram, cards may not be easy.

Offline solar value

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #1641 on: July 31, 2013, 03:34:27 PM »
I thought this post from Jersey Jack was worth re-posting here. I lifted it from Pinside but it was apparently originally posted on the private JJP forum last Saturday. It seems that they are attempting to ramp up production significantly next month and that there is still a lot more planned for WOZ that hasn't been seen yet. Also a link to a patent for some kind of integrated pinball redemption machine (a little difficult to decipher) and some claims of sabotage thrown in.

From JJP forum (unedited):

On Saturday, July 27, 2013 10:24:12 AM UTC-4, Jersey Jack wrote:

Every day I'm amazed at the creativity and ideas of our customer base.......

I also posted this on another thread here but in case you missed it:

I'm living more in reality now that months ago. That means that I can see what is happening daily and weekly and what's going in boxes and leaving.

The stack of 250 new pallets only has 38 pallets on it now....so we shipped all those games since April 29th and 30 more in Final Test at the moment as I write this. Alex was here yesterday and he took some pictures. His head was spinning.

We have 200 games on the matrix for August with 182 being ECLEWOZ and 18 being WOZ

We built and shipped WOZ as I said we would. You see them more than the LE's because the people getting LE games are quietly putting them in their homes not looking for drama.

Our parts suppliers are keeping up for the most part, harnesses, power supplies, mother boards, board sets, etc....the OTD parts, still we have over $3.3 million here in parts as we ordered thousands of parts to do the first 1,500 games. We have made some minor changes to enable us to make the game easier to assemble.

We did not announce the hiring of an iconic industry production expert who joined us in June. That made a huge difference. He ran production at several pinball factories and most recently Namco. I moved him and his family from Illinois to beautiful New Jersey. He has an employment contract for five years with an option. After we hired him, another pinball maker called him (twice) offering him a job. Not because they wanted him there really but because they knew if he was here we would increase our production momentum......I need to write a book one day.

Action still speaks volumes, keep our heads down and build and ship games.....that shuts everyone up...let the games do the talking, not me. I'm tired of hearing me. Things go easier as we train, learn and improve and as the people on the line go from being individuals to being part of a Team. You don't go to the gym and bench press 300 pounds on the first day. You train and work up to it over time.

I remember a day a year ago or so that it took us two months to assemble one game and it looked like we were building Frankenstein. It took us ten days of all of us working to build 8 games for IAAPA. That's funny now.

Now I go a few feet from here and all of these people are hopping and clopping and making games, I wish you could all be here to see it because your heads would spin. Pictures do not do it justice. We had visitors this week here from two major amusement manufacturers. They were amazed and they are in the business 40+ years each.

All I can say is that when people get the game, they love it. The game is earning money off the charts for pinball. I heard that Gary Stern threatened locations if they install WOZ next to his game - he will take out what he lent them - in Chicago - this told to me by several area operators there. When you have a game making more than all the other pinball machines combined, Including Metallica, you have a hit game - and by the way - it's not finished yet.

In the last month we have added more than 140 unpaid orders for WOZ which we need to filter into the line starting in Mid- September - when operators want games for their routes again. At that point we will be up to 15 games a day. 10 a day ECLEWOZ and 5 a day WOZ in September. The shifts get two hours longer and we will work every Saturday. We have one theater operator who says he is placing an order for 60 WOZ that he needs by 10/15

There are almost 60 people working here. We have two huge parking lots and our neighbors complained that we took all the spots (they are our spots, not theirs) as we have a 42,000 sq ft building and all of theirs are smaller.

A year ago the haters wrote we would never build a game, it would never ship, that our parking lot is empty, we would be out of business, etc...etc....I guess not. Now that we are building and shipping, it's not fast enough...I agree....but we are getting there.

We still want to under-promise and over-deliver and we will. You all ain't seen this game do anything yet....none of you found it so here is what was Published in May much of it we are already making reality now:

http://www.google.com/patents/US20130113161

People asking about The Hobbit - like Gabe- OK - I'll release more of the playfield layout in a week or so. We are almost sold out of the game with distributors asking to up their allocations which I have resisted. There will be a MAP price increase announced shortly as of a certain date and that's to reward those who are in early and paid money on their Hobbit.

The mind set in creating WOZ was the "Best Game Ever" The mindset of the Team in creating The Hobbit is that we want Wizard of Oz to be the worst game we ever build....we always want to be better and reward our loyal JJP customers who helped build the company.

Remember, this has taken a "long time" but we are just getting started in doing what we set out to do when we had less than nothing on 1/1/11

Thanks again to all of you for your trust and belief and for defending JJP in the face of the haters and doubters. I always thought that more pinball would be a good thing, apparently there are those who post on "Wrongside" otherwise. They too will be playing JJP games. We have seen some past haters even buy and operate WOZ so I guess that's amazing by itself.

A good game comes around once in a while....a great game is even more rare. We have an amazing opportunity to have a great game, followed by a great game, followed by a great game.....It took longer to get here, yes....shipping this game a year ago would have given you a crappy game. You can already buy one if you wanted that. The extra time and money spent was well worth it.

I can see building thousands of WOZ games. The whole Earth is our marketplace.

You all had faith, those who already got games see the result of what we promised. Those who are still waiting, be a bit more patient with us....nobody wants to ship your game more than I do!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 03:36:04 PM by solar value »

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #1642 on: July 31, 2013, 04:23:02 PM »

"We still want to under-promise and over-deliver and we will."

?? still ??

I think this should have been better expressed as

"Now that we have been bent over like a pretzel due to our regular BS delivery promises,
we now plan to stop making up dates, let people believe never, and that will mean any delivery date will be over-delivery".
  :tumble:

But it does look like they are getting on top of this project, and that is great to hear.

Love the industrial espionage claims!!  #*#
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #1643 on: July 31, 2013, 04:29:02 PM »

....... You all ain't seen this game do anything yet....none of you found it so here is what was Published in May much of it we are already making reality now:

OMG, of all the unholy abominations created by man, this frankenpinball idea sucks the hardest.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline ktm450

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #1644 on: August 01, 2013, 02:28:00 PM »
Give me a pizza if I play well  *%* I want one for my room, I was wondering how they would fit an oven into a pinball cabinet, but just realised it only prints out a ticket  @.@  not so excited anymore  *)*

Who wants a SALAD  ::) maybe that's the consolation prize  *)*

« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 02:29:41 PM by ktm450 »

Offline coon82

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #1645 on: August 03, 2013, 11:20:53 AM »
I think the idea will catch on for where it matters - making money on location, right next to the many redemption games.
Wanted:   Black Hole (1981Gottlieb)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #1646 on: August 03, 2013, 08:15:30 PM »

....... You all ain't seen this game do anything yet....none of you found it so here is what was Published in May much of it we are already making reality now:

OMG, of all the unholy abominations created by man, this frankenpinball idea sucks the hardest.

Don't be too concerned, Nick. It won't be released until 2069.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #1647 on: August 03, 2013, 08:25:10 PM »

Don't be too concerned, Nick. It won't be released until 2069.

Never been more happy to know I won't survive that long.....

Offline greatwichjohn

• Forum Posts:
  • Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
  • New Stern Dealer
    • greatpinball.com
« Reply #1648 on: August 20, 2013, 01:20:27 AM »
Got mine, well worth the wait. #466
World leader in small production of pinball products using modern commercial uv inkjet technology.

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #1649 on: August 20, 2013, 09:45:10 PM »
is there any reviews on this game with the current software. is it a good game?
Still loving my Metallica Premium