Author Topic: Wizard Of OZ Pinball  (Read 57131 times)

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
Re: Wizard Of OZ Pinball
« Reply #1680 on: September 19, 2013, 09:49:53 PM »
Yep all in one place a WOZLE and a new Stern Star Trek  #*# #*# #*#
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline Cow Corner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #1681 on: September 19, 2013, 10:07:47 PM »
Yep all in one place a WOZLE and a new Stern Star Trek  #*# #*# #*#

If I was excited  I would be doing  #*# too but it's only pinball!
 :tumble:
" It's not the right time to be sober, now the idiots are taking over"

Offline solar value

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #1682 on: September 19, 2013, 11:01:11 PM »
Yep all in one place a WOZLE and a new Stern Star Trek  #*# #*# #*#

Great, if it has the new code (1.21), please take some video if you can.

Thanks.

Anyone know if any of these have been sited in Melbourne yet?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 11:02:56 PM by solar value »

Offline solar value

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #1683 on: September 21, 2013, 11:12:38 AM »

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
« Reply #1684 on: September 22, 2013, 07:33:39 PM »
Played it - I fail to see what all of the hero worship is about?

Can't see the ball on the playfield in the pub location where I played it - other issues as well. Monitor is distracting to a player, probably OK for observers.

Light show is impressive but it doesn't add to the gameplay.....
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline pinoffski

• Forum Posts:
  • Wollongong NSW
« Reply #1685 on: September 22, 2013, 07:56:39 PM »
It is a big thing in the USA they absolutely love it...

When I was in the USA with Wotto I was not game to say anything against it .....

Thank GOD Wotto broke it ..... %.%

Offline solar value

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #1686 on: September 22, 2013, 08:23:17 PM »
Hi All,

Here's another really well-made video of the latest software revision (1.21). This is done by the same guy who made the one I posted yesterday, I believe his name is Daniel. This new video has really clear audio because he took it directly from the game’s line level output. He also uses two different cameras to show the game from different angles which is cool.

For those who missed the earlier video here it is embedded:

Daniel has a blog at pinplay.com and is putting out some nice information and videos about some of the newer games. He has provided a lot of information about how to fine-tune various features of the WOZ machine.

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #1687 on: September 23, 2013, 03:32:46 PM »
Just throwing out there a hypothetical. Does anyone know if there is much in the way of spare parts and whether there are suppliers stocking such parts if jjp say disappear from the scene? Or are most parts b/w style parts. I for one would be looking at stocking some parts just in case supply is uncertain. Be interested to hear opinions
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline Lazy Barry

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #1688 on: September 23, 2013, 03:42:51 PM »
Just throwing out there a hypothetical. Does anyone know if there is much in the way of spare parts and whether there are suppliers stocking such parts if jjp say disappear from the scene? Or are most parts b/w style parts. I for one would be looking at stocking some parts just in case supply is uncertain. Be interested to hear opinions

Good question

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
« Reply #1689 on: September 23, 2013, 04:35:01 PM »
I'm told they use WMS assemblies/coils and pretty standard PC 'stuff' such as mainboard, monitor, power supply etc.

Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline DSB

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast
    • OMNI Electrical & Data
« Reply #1690 on: September 23, 2013, 05:56:07 PM »
Is the LCD screen susceptible to burn in? When I first saw the machine I wondered this as I have replaced a few LCD TVs in clubs and pubs that have had keno on them for how knows how long and are pretty badly burnt in. 

Offline Sunfox

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #1691 on: September 23, 2013, 06:32:13 PM »
Is the LCD screen susceptible to burn in? When I first saw the machine I wondered this as I have replaced a few LCD TVs in clubs and pubs that have had keno on them for how knows how long and are pretty badly burnt in.  

LCD screens aren't exactly subject to "burn-in" like CRT or plasma (the result of uneven phosphor wear), so much as they are "image retention", which is when the crystals become polarized after displaying the same image for so long and can't "relax" back to their normal state, resulting in a ghost image. But unlike phosphor burn-in, image retention is almost always reversible over time simply by changing the image (displaying a black screen for prolonged periods is typically recommended).

With that said, I don't see how image retention will be a problem on WOZ, as there are no interface elements kept on the screen at all times - full-screen videos play during gameplay, and attract mode is always changing what's being shown.

If JJP were to go belly up tomorrow and never produce another part again, I think the only items that would be of real concern are the driver board and the lighting boards. Most pinball-y parts are Bally/Williams or modified versions, the PC parts will be simple to buy for quite a few years, and custom plastics and metal assemblies can always have runs sourced. As much as I have disagreed with Homepin's stance on PCs in the past, I do think someone like him with circuit board replication/design experience could easily replicate the driver/lighting boards if eventually necessary.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 06:38:51 PM by Sunfox »

Offline DSB

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast
    • OMNI Electrical & Data
« Reply #1692 on: September 23, 2013, 07:26:29 PM »
LCD screens aren't exactly subject to "burn-in" like CRT or plasma (the result of uneven phosphor wear), so much as they are "image retention", which is when the crystals become polarized after displaying the same image for so long and can't "relax" back to their normal state, resulting in a ghost image. But unlike phosphor burn-in, image retention is almost always reversible over time simply by changing the image (displaying a black screen for prolonged periods is typically recommended).
Thanks, Great explanation! ^^^ I haven't seen the screen in attract mode but hopefully there is enough movement across the hole screen to avoid retention. I guess time will tell. Didn't know that a black image could improve this. I will have to try it sometime.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 07:32:05 PM by DSB »

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #1693 on: September 23, 2013, 07:48:39 PM »
I went into town this afternoon to try out the sited WOZ LE and first impression looking at it was wow - looks smart, but within a minute of playing it, the inserts are just so dam bright and the GI is almost non existent so in a dull lit area I personally was not wowed by the machine. Funny thing was I put in $2 for one game and there was still 2 credits up from someone else - whether that be from people not knowing there was a credit or people expecting to play a few games but walked away ?????

The quality looked amazing and the cabinet finish is incredible - felt like a matt finish cleared playfield - just beautiful but the playfield just goes into random funky / hippie colour patterns of lights that it just is a bit over the top. I did enjoy one mod which was "lights off" mode which everything went off apart from a few targets flashing to be hit = was calming to the eyes.....

Overall was much more attracted to the new Star Trek Pro next to it.... but if only JJP could improve the GI and keep the colour of the inserts for a mode and not go crazy then it would not be so contrast as the playfield is almost black and then a hundred inserts blinking at you OR have the lights on and the games lighting would not be as much of an issue.

Also I don't think the LE comes with mirror blades but this one had them which actually looked like Bally / WMS ones with a slightly modified elongated hinge hole.

https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #1694 on: October 12, 2013, 12:03:53 PM »
I've read there's a GI mod available to light up the PF, thanks for review swinks :-)

Peter