Author Topic: Gorgar: Can someone please help with the location of a broken wire?  (Read 832 times)

Offline JD

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Maitland NSW
  • There's no law against having fun, just yet!
Just changed the top drop target solenoid on my Gorgar, the orange wire to the switch on these drop targets broke and I cannot see where it went on the back of the drop target set. If someone could have a look at theirs and point me in the right direction, it would be great!

J.D.
There is no law against having fun just yet (but I am sure they are busy are drafting one!)

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
I'll check tomorrow arvo when I get back from holidays if no one else replies before then

Offline deadlydave

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast
Here you go JD

Offline JD

• Forum Posts:
  • Maitland NSW
Here you go JD

Thanks heaps Deadly Dave.
Hopefully we will be operational again today.

Thanks Daniel also.

J.D.
There is no law against having fun just yet (but I am sure they are busy are drafting one!)

Offline JD

• Forum Posts:
  • Maitland NSW
What a challenge.

Bought a new replacement coil and new diode and installed again in machine.

Also got boards repaired and tested as "GOR" target coil had burnt transistor and chip. Ken Skybeau repaired and tested on his gig so all was good.

Drop targets would still not go up. All targets made sounds when manually dropped and switch behind also makes sound so working.
Volt meter showed 32v power to coil so I grounded the transistor controlling the coil and I got a spark and no action.
I then disconnected grey (earth trigger) wire from solenoid and when this pin is was grounded got a spark and no action again.
Removed new coil and checked new diode. I had no real resistance either ways so tossed over my shoulder and replaced with a new one.
Installed red wire and grounded other side of the coil and targets manually re-set. (progress)

Then double checked the broken wire connection (above) and all good as per Peter's photo.
I took the boards back to Ken for testing and all was perfect still.

Does anyone know how I can find what tells the transistor to fire the coil to re-set the top targets?
I am truly stumped here and would greatly appreciate some advice from the gurus if possible?

When I ground the transistor, the coil fires and all connections on the solenoid board are in good condition. Sockets were all re-pinned recently by Ken also.

Help please!

J.D.

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
First you need to determine what not reading what.

When the drop targets are hit.. does the game give a score?

If so then switch input on this at the board is probably working Ok.
If not, the there is a fault at where inputs go to board, be it a connector or data fault.

If it does give a score then you have a problem from CPU output to driver.
Once again, could be connector or data fault.

Make sure ALL switches are reading closed when all drops are down... if one is out then CPU will not reset them. Do this at the switch input at the board and the switch itself ( one lead on switch.. other at input  board connector) this will tell you if signal is getting to the board

Also check at coin door test... and see if all solenoids fire during test mode

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
What a challenge.

Also got boards repaired and tested as "GOR" target coil had burnt transistor and chip. Ken Skybeau repaired and tested on his gig so all was good.

Drop targets would still not go up. All targets made sounds when manually dropped and switch behind also makes sound so working.
Volt meter showed 32v power to coil so I grounded the transistor controlling the coil and I got a spark and no action.
I then disconnected grey (earth trigger) wire from solenoid and when this pin is was grounded got a spark and no action again.
Removed new coil and checked new diode. I had no real resistance either ways so tossed over my shoulder and replaced with a new one.
Installed red wire and grounded other side of the coil and targets manually re-set. (progress)

Then double checked the broken wire connection (above) and all good as per Peter's photo.

Does anyone know how I can find what tells the transistor to fire the coil to re-set the top targets?
I am truly stumped here and would greatly appreciate some advice from the gurus if possible?

When I ground the transistor, the coil fires and all connections on the solenoid board are in good condition. Sockets were all re-pinned recently by Ken also.

Help please!

J.D.

If the drop targets are registering that they have dropped and grounding the transistor resets them, then it could be the pre-driver transistor or IC6 the 7408 chip gone, or IC8 7402 chip.
Check these with your multimeter as per the pinrepair guide although the chips can test ok (on the board) even if they are no good.
If in doubt just change them over, this is relatively easy and parts are readily available from Jaycar.
I think for the pre-driver chip you may have to get an equivalent for it, which Jaycar do stock.
I have attached the part schematic showing the solenoid ground path. From what I can find the "GOR" reset is solenoid 4.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 02:43:06 PM by Boots »

Offline JD

• Forum Posts:
  • Maitland NSW
First you need to determine what not reading what.

When the drop targets are hit.. does the game give a score?

If so then switch input on this at the board is probably working Ok.
If not, the there is a fault at where inputs go to board, be it a connector or data fault.

If it does give a score then you have a problem from CPU output to driver.
Once again, could be connector or data fault.

Make sure ALL switches are reading closed when all drops are down... if one is out then CPU will not reset them. Do this at the switch input at the board and the switch itself ( one lead on switch.. other at input  board connector) this will tell you if signal is getting to the board

Also check at coin door test... and see if all solenoids fire during test mode

Thanks Gavin,

Yes, when each card is dropped, the score goes up AND when the last card goes down, the score goes up more as if it knows all three are down but does not reset.
I cannot get the coin door test to work. I have game over mode, manual down switch and depress advance. Nothing happens.

J.D.

Offline JD

• Forum Posts:
  • Maitland NSW
What a challenge.

Help please!

J.D.

If the drop targets are registering that they have dropped and grounding the transistor resets them, then it could be the pre-driver transistor or IC6 the 7408 chip gone, or IC8 7402 chip.
Check these with your multimeter as per the pinrepair guide although the chips can test ok (on the board) even if they are no good.
If in doubt just change them over, this is relatively easy and parts are readily available from Jaycar.
I think for the pre-driver chip you may have to get an equivalent for it, which Jaycar do stock.
I have attached the part schematic showing the solenoid ground path. From what I can find the "GOR" reset is solenoid 4.

Thanks Boots.

The boards were both tested yesterday MPU and solenoid driver. All worked fine on Ken Skybeu's tester. Many thanks for the diagram. Is there any point in going further with the chips if both boards were tested and functioned fine?

J.D.

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
Gday JD .
I assume your drop targets have the copper horseshoe contacts on the back of them?
If so, then there are 2 contacts that need to be made, one registers the points and the other tells the game that the target is down.
Could be as simple as one of the targets is not making proper contact to register it is down .. if all targets don't register as being down then game will not reset them all. The drop target contacts do tend to need regular maintenance to make sure they are making good contact between the horseshoe and the small PCB that is screwed onto each target assembly . (I am relating this to my Trizone though .. I haven't seen a drop target assembly for a Gorgar)

Cheers
Dave

I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
I had a similar problem with mine and as others have said I cleaned the target assembly concentrating on the  contacts and now they all pop up properly-now I'm doing the same on my Time warp as I had similar problems and now they all work properly.

Peter

Offline JD

• Forum Posts:
  • Maitland NSW
Gday JD .
I assume your drop targets have the copper horseshoe contacts on the back of them?
If so, then there are 2 contacts that need to be made, one registers the points and the other tells the game that the target is down.
Could be as simple as one of the targets is not making proper contact to register it is down .. if all targets don't register as being down then game will not reset them all. The drop target contacts do tend to need regular maintenance to make sure they are making good contact between the horseshoe and the small PCB that is screwed onto each target assembly . (I am relating this to my Trizone though .. I haven't seen a drop target assembly for a Gorgar)

Cheers
Dave

Thanks Gents,
Each target is working, each target contacts checked with voltmeter up and down, disassembled each target back / contacts etc. and checked and looks fine.
Also wriggled these around whilst all cards are down in game play but no signs here either.

Really weird. I am thinking some more damage must have been done from the burnt coil as I have not touched anything else?

J.D.

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide

Thanks Boots.

The boards were both tested yesterday MPU and solenoid driver. All worked fine on Ken Skybeu's tester. Many thanks for the diagram. Is there any point in going further with the chips if both boards were tested and functioned fine?

J.D.

Hmmm definately something hiding there.
The connectors must be ok of the coil fires when you earth the driver transistor.
Are the IC's I mentioned socketed?
If so you could do a quick swap out to 100% eliminate them.
Perhaps something got zapped when you were testing before you changed the coil diode.
It wont hurt to check the chips with a multimeter, that will only take 5-10 minutes.
If the switch signals getting to the boards, I would definately change the chips, like I said cheap and easy and if its not necessary at least the new chips will be socketed for any future problems.

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
Im still leaning towards a switch in put issue here.

Could be the female connector thats at fault as then boards would be OK, but not read one of 2 switch closures.

Game scores when drop is down... OK.. that side works OK.

But game either does not read all are down or cannot do anything about it.

The fact that your coin door switches are doing nothing also suggests to me that maybe the 3 drops down is not being read at CPU.

The coin door switches have nothing to do with the driver.. it is straight into CPU, then either out to displays or down interconnector to driver board.

If this were me..  would be following the switch closures to the CPU and then to the first chip inline which im assuming would be some sort of buffer like a 7407. Any voltage spike to this chip would take it out... thats what its designed to do. Had the coil diode been put in the wrong way round.. i would be looking at this buffer chip... maybe coin door switches share same chip?

look at your schematics for GORGAR and see if the coin door test switch AND 3 drop switches are on the same female connector and also  a common IC

Boards tested fine on Williams board tester by Skybeau... we know that these are good then

Offline JD

• Forum Posts:
  • Maitland NSW
Im still leaning towards a switch in put issue here.

Could be the female connector thats at fault as then boards would be OK, but not read one of 2 switch closures.

Game scores when drop is down... OK.. that side works OK.

But game either does not read all are down or cannot do anything about it.

The fact that your coin door switches are doing nothing also suggests to me that maybe the 3 drops down is not being read at CPU.

The coin door switches have nothing to do with the driver.. it is straight into CPU, then either out to displays or down interconnector to driver board.

If this were me..  would be following the switch closures to the CPU and then to the first chip inline which im assuming would be some sort of buffer like a 7407. Any voltage spike to this chip would take it out... thats what its designed to do. Had the coil diode been put in the wrong way round.. i would be looking at this buffer chip... maybe coin door switches share same chip?

look at your schematics for GORGAR and see if the coin door test switch AND 3 drop switches are on the same female connector and also  a common IC

Boards tested fine on Williams board tester by Skybeau... we know that these are good then

OK a little progress. I hope.

Found a bad connection at the MPU board harness plug where the switches controlling the test switches go.
Once this was sorted, I am able to go into test mode and do the solenoid test. All work except 4 which is the GOR targets. my problem one.

So, test confirms solenoid does not fire when in test. (all others good in test).
Multimeter shows no earth on solenoid during test sequence.
Shorting transistor activates solenoid.

Looking at the inputs to the MPU board in the manual, there are special switch inputs, switch columns and switch but all are on the driver board only.

????

J.D.