Author Topic: Gottlieb Buccaneer Restoration  (Read 6136 times)

Offline billxixix

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Gottlieb Buccaneer Restoration
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2011, 11:25:24 PM »
Looking Good

cheers

Bill

Offline Steve2010

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2011, 02:22:25 AM »
I hadn't looked into the Restorations area of the forum for a few weeks (I know, shame on me), and low and behold there are two machines that have popped up that have caught my eye - this one of course, and Paragon.

Nino, wonderful machine.  Played this one umpteen times on weekends back around the 1977-1981 years at a Bowling alley.  Sad thing is I haven't touched a Buccaneer for about 30 years now.  Didn't care much for bowling, but loved the pins (also remember a Mata Hari next to it which I played alot as well).  I had a love-hate feeling for this game.  Loved the challenge time and time again, but hated how much effort it took for me to just get the special lit, then trying desperately to get the pop!  Hit it up through the spinner, and hope the the ball comes down the rollover that's lit (and hope the special light doesn't alternate too much between the two rollovers while the ball is bouncing around).

Now that's a story for the pickup ... you don't see many of these, so that also makes it special as well.

I'm SLOWLY removing the residue from the playfield. I'm using shellite and some old rags.

I have read on this forum the use of Shellite mainly for cleaning the PF rubbers, and also for removing wax if needed.  Is Nifti usually sufficient for removing grime, and if not, is Shellite the next step for the grime removal?

I will regrain the side rails, and install new nails.

I take it that the side rails and lockdown bar are always to be regrained, never to be polished, correct?  What is the process for regraining?  You did mention scotchbrite, but do you use any agent with this?

Here's the RHS with the regrained siderail.
Looks great, and really does make a difference between deciding to just "leave it as is" versus bringing it back to its glory days.

OK, OK, I had better pay attention to the resto section more often.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2011, 01:15:50 PM »
I hadn't looked into the Restorations area of the forum for a few weeks (I know, shame on me), and low and behold there are two machines that have popped up that have caught my eye - this one of course, and Paragon.

Nino, wonderful machine.  Played this one umpteen times on weekends back around the 1977-1981 years at a Bowling alley.  Sad thing is I haven't touched a Buccaneer for about 30 years now.  Didn't care much for bowling, but loved the pins (also remember a Mata Hari next to it which I played alot as well).  I had a love-hate feeling for this game.  Loved the challenge time and time again, but hated how much effort it took for me to just get the special lit, then trying desperately to get the pop!  Hit it up through the spinner, and hope the the ball comes down the rollover that's lit (and hope the special light doesn't alternate too much between the two rollovers while the ball is bouncing around).

Now that's a story for the pickup ... you don't see many of these, so that also makes it special as well.

I'm SLOWLY removing the residue from the playfield. I'm using shellite and some old rags.

I have read on this forum the use of Shellite mainly for cleaning the PF rubbers, and also for removing wax if needed.  Is Nifti usually sufficient for removing grime, and if not, is Shellite the next step for the grime removal?

I will regrain the side rails, and install new nails.

I take it that the side rails and lockdown bar are always to be regrained, never to be polished, correct?  What is the process for regraining?  You did mention scotchbrite, but do you use any agent with this?

Here's the RHS with the regrained siderail.
Looks great, and really does make a difference between deciding to just "leave it as is" versus bringing it back to its glory days.

OK, OK, I had better pay attention to the resto section more often.

I use Shellite to remove the sticky residue left over from the contact removal. Tedious job that used 90% of the bottle !

From factory - All doors, siderails and lock down bars are grained. Only the machines with the smaller door (Pro Football / Drop-A-Card etc) have chromed or polished doors. PBR repro doors are chromed and highly polished. I used to use 180 grit wet/dry, then 360 wet/dry sandpaper with Windix. I now use RED scotchbrite pads and windex. The RED scotchbrite pads are available from auto supply shops. I regrain the parts, never polishing or buffing.

Enjoy the thread Steve  #@#

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2011, 11:34:54 PM »

More Cabinet work

Most of the hardware is simply washed and tossed into the tumbler with some flitz. The door is regrained on the outside and polished on the inside. The coin lock out assemblies are missing, but are not required on home games, so I plan on leaving this "as is". The new ball shooter assembly is installed, and with the polished legs, it is starting to look very nice !

New flipper buttons (and the door) and of course new flipper switch contacts. No stone unturned !

The lock down bar assembly needed the old plating removed and some time spent cleaning up and polishing. took a while, but it looks great.

Tilt Mech - just prior to install. A light sand and re assembly into the cabinet

Moving on to the head

I've removed the backglass. It is stored in a safe place until I seal it and touch up some of the areas around the main sail. Here's some "before pictures" - This is where I'm at as of this evening !

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2011, 09:36:25 AM »
Coming along very nicely mate  ^^^

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2011, 10:41:18 AM »
Looking great so far Nino  ^^^
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2011, 11:47:27 PM »

The headboard is removed from the headbox. Time to rebuild the steppers, relays and scorereels. Thankfully, it is a wedgehead and there is only one set of scorereels to be rebuilt !

Here is the headboard removed

Fast forward to the first Stepper rebuild. I use machine oil (3 in 1) on the bakerlite and on the shaft. Prior to rebuilding it, it was sluggish - operational - but only just !

Rebuilt credit unit. Was also a bit sluggish, but it works 100% now !

I removed the scorereel housing as it had some surface corrosion - enough to annoy me ! I cleaned it with Ranex, windex and some brasso. Looks heaps better !

Steppers rebuilt, all the jones connectors have been cleaned (with ranex as there was some surface corrosion) and the relays have been rebuilt - including the contacts cleaned and adjusted. All that is left to do are the scorereels.

Here's the first scorereel completed !

&&

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2011, 11:54:18 PM »
Nice work mate, what do you clean your score reel with, the actual plastic with the numbers? I was unsure if the ink could handle cleaning  !@#

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2011, 09:46:05 AM »
Looking great Nino  ^^^
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2011, 10:19:31 AM »
Love all those shiny bits!  ^^^
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2011, 11:50:20 AM »
Nice work mate, what do you clean your score reel with, the actual plastic with the numbers? I was unsure if the ink could handle cleaning  !@#

If the paint is peeling - be VERY careful. Rarely the case, but it can peel further.

I soak the reel in water, when I use a soft toothbrush with nifti. Spray on the toothbrush, then gently scrub the reel. Rinse in water.

I don't use Novus 2, as it is too aggressive and removes paint.

Offline Steve2010

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2011, 01:54:39 PM »
Nino, looking very, very nice.  Another query on the scorereel.  If the black in the digits is weak and/or some bits missing, what would be recommended for "filling the voids" in with?  I have an EM (Bally DQ) that has patchy digits on the scorereels due to wear/age, and thinking about touching them up.

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2011, 07:54:09 PM »
Nino, looking very, very nice.  Another query on the scorereel.  If the black in the digits is weak and/or some bits missing, what would be recommended for "filling the voids" in with?  I have an EM (Bally DQ) that has patchy digits on the scorereels due to wear/age, and thinking about touching them up.

I use a sharpie pen ! Difficult to spot when you are bust flipping !

Offline deadlydave

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2011, 10:34:00 PM »
Great work Nino  ^^^

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2011, 11:35:54 PM »

The headbox is cleaned and placed back on the body. I remove the instruction cards and relaminte them. I also place "beer seal" on the two brackets which hold the backglass in place. These are screwed into the top of the head and are always overlooked. Polish the channel as well Looking good !

Install the head board after rebuilding all the mechs etc

The bottom baseboard. Much the same - everything is rebuilt. All contacts cleaned and adjusted. Corrosion removed from the brass screw holding the coil in the relay housing. I hate rust and corrosion ! I'll replace the power cable tomorrow, and drop the board into the machine. Then back to the playfield !

Before ;

After ;

$#$