Author Topic: POWER SUPPLY BOARD - SEGA/DATA EAST  (Read 2747 times)

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
POWER SUPPLY BOARD - SEGA/DATA EAST
« on: April 04, 2011, 07:27:47 PM »
I wondered if anyone here has purchased a replacement power supply board for a DATA EAST/SEGA machine before from Marco Spec and if so, how did u find it.

http://www.marcospecialties.com/product.asp?ic=PJ%2D5047%2DHV

I have Andrew (Beaky) conducting surgery/rebuilding the power supply for my DATA EAST/SEGA FRANKENSTEIN pinball machine after it failed to successfully boot the game properly. The power supply has had some dreadful hack jobs done to it in the past (I will get Andy to post a few photos) and I am sure we will fix the current power supply, but i was exploring my options with a full replacement incase the current power supply becomes unreliable after surgery.

I note, that the power supply that fits FRANKENSTEIN is the same power supply that is fitted to the other SEGA machines like BATMAN FOREVER, MAVERICK AND BAYWATCH because they have the largest dot matrix display of all SEGA/DATA EAST and accordingly, the power supply is slightly different to that fitted in other Data East machines which are listed on the Marco Spec power supply website.

If anyone has a Data East/Sega power supply laying around for sale pls PM me or add a post.  ^^^

« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 11:46:18 PM by Caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Re: POWER SUPPLY BOARD - SEGA/DATA EAST
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 07:36:51 PM »
Brett,

I've got no experience with those aftermarket power supplies...I've always managed to rebuild mine but thankfully were not EuroHacked tm...But I'm sure Beaky will be able fix it.

But - I do however have PinScore displays in all my Sys11 games (3) and they are very high quality and I wouldn't hesitate to put them in more....Even better now we have a local supplier of their products too.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 07:38:43 PM by MartyJ »

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 07:49:46 PM »
here are the photos of the hacked power supply.
By the looks of the hacks they were trying to fix a low +5V problem but they have hacked half of the +5V and some other part of the power supply (I haven't looked fully into it yet).
And thank you Marty I will have no problems rebuilding this power supply, also i should be able to remove the hacks, i don't think they are even needed as the tracks that they are duplicating with the wires look fine. After doing the rebuild i will load the power supply up and check how much (if any) voltage drop there is with out the hacks.
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 08:07:05 PM »
I will add, that this is not the original power supply that came with FRANKENSTEIN. It is the exact same type, but not the original one which came with the machine.
(serial numbers differ). I take pride in making sure any machine i purchase has the same set of original boards, but this is the one exception.

Andy shld fix it no problems, but it pays to have a spare, espescially with so many machines here. I have boxes n boxes of spare stuff for all my different titles, but a power supply for a SEGA wasnt something i have needed til now.
It is great to see that a brand new 2011 model can be purchased for a cheap $129 plus postage from Marco Spec.

Hopefully in time, all replacement boards will come down in price, but $129 seems reasonable considering only second hand units would be around, if any.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 08:10:34 PM by Caveoftreasures »

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 12:03:29 AM »
There is one thing I do not like about the replacement power supply pictured above (the blue pcb) is that alot of the components are surface mount. I myself can repair surface mount pcb's but to me in most cases surface mount pcb's mean disposable pcb's. I can understand in the modern world of electronics surface mount is needed for a smaller size and ease of assembly for wave soldering but in this case its not needed, in a modern tv repair workshop that repairs LCD and Plasma tv's in most cases they do not repair a pcb they just unplug it and replace the whole board. 10 years ago when i was designing pcb's even when we only needed a 5 amp bridge rectifier I would use a 35 amp bridge instead. The reason why I did this was because the price difference between a 10 amp and 35 amp bridge was only a few cents but this part of the circuit would run cool and was virtually indestructible. Also the circuit was quite simple (like the power supply in question) and I had enough room on the board. I have seen a pcb designed by another member on this site and he has not used surface mount components (can't remember if it was a replacement cpu or driver board). The reason why i assume is so the board is easily repairable if something does go wrong. I am so disappointed in the designers when i see those replacement pinball driver boards covered in surface mount transistors (or mosfets, I haven't checked the component specs on these boards). If they haven't included some sort or current regulation on those circuits when a coil dies (which will all know happens from time to time) and the surface mount transistor gets so hot that it burns the pad that it is soldered to off the pcb what do you solder the replacement surface mount transistor to? Lets face it it is a lot easier to desolder and replace a solder through component than a surface mount component. I appreciate that a company has invested the time and money to develop a replacement power supply board but maybe the should have conferred with an old school designer.
Once again i apologise for the technical mumbo jumbo but I thought I would post my personal opinion.  ^^^                
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline ajlaird

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 12:18:51 AM »
You make a good point, and there is plenty of room so no need to use SMDs.

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 12:45:59 AM »
You make a good point, and there is plenty of room so no need to use SMDs.
thanks mate  ^^^

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 01:42:53 AM »
Beaky is 100% correct and I agree fully. That's why all of my replacement pinball PCB's all use through hole parts and much larger solder pads than are really needed. They will (should?) take repeated soldering over the years even from repairers using boofy large plumbers soldering irons....

I can't understand what these other guys are thinking making surface mount boards when it just isn't required??

It probably comes down to cost and also availability of suitable parts??

I have just had a hell of a job sourcing some of the parts needed for my new Bally MPU board - some capacitors I even had to have a special run done at the factory as they simply don't make axial caps in the values and style needed any more - so maybe I have answered the question right there???

Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 02:35:02 AM »
Beaky is 100% correct and I agree fully. That's why all of my replacement pinball PCB's all use through hole parts and much larger solder pads than are really needed. They will (should?) take repeated soldering over the years even from repairers using boofy large plumbers soldering irons....

I can't understand what these other guys are thinking making surface mount boards when it just isn't required??

It probably comes down to cost and also availability of suitable parts??

I have just had a hell of a job sourcing some of the parts needed for my new Bally MPU board - some capacitors I even had to have a special run done at the factory as they simply don't make axial caps in the values and style needed any more - so maybe I have answered the question right there???

your mpu board was the one i was referring to Mike. I give credit where credit is due, you have designed your board for long term use. And they are repairable. I never believed in using small pads on my designs either. I took into account that the boards where going to be assembled by hand and not by machine and by process workers who didn't know how to set their soldering irons to the correct tempreture, plus the large pads also help in heat sinking any heat away from the components. When doing tests on prototype boards (Light chasers and led power supplies) I would do 2 things, 1. short the output and 2. wire a fluro ballast in series with a short to create a back emf surge to emulate large cable runs around metal objects. if any components failed (other than a fuse blowing ) then i would re design the circuit. I designed my boards for commercial use and they never came back for repair. I will admit the company I designed these boards for did sell them at a high price but once the word got around about how well their products worked a lot of companies preferred to spend the extra $$$ for robust electronic control gear over a cheaper product that crapped itself when they wired something incorrectly, had a short or had long cable runs around metal structures. There is a big difference in designing something that works well on a test bench and that works well in real life applications. But now a days with general consumer products it all comes down to price.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 02:49:07 AM by beaky »

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2011, 10:25:08 AM »
We are going off to Jaycar this morning to buy the replacement bits n pieces to rebuild the Sega Power Supply.  ^^^
The replacement stuff shld be stuff all $ cost. Maybe $10 bux or less. I will post a few photos of the bits n pieces we purchase.
I will get Andy to add a few photos of his repairs.

Its only a power supply board, but a post covering the surgery wont hurt. lol      Hopefully the Euro- hacks can be minimised or gotten rid of entirely, but the board does look like it has had some very messy repairs. My 10 yr old daughter could solder better than the last hacker !

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2011, 03:41:30 PM »
We are going off to Jaycar this morning to buy the replacement bits n pieces to rebuild the Sega Power Supply.  ^^^
The replacement stuff shld be stuff all $ cost. Maybe $10 bux or less. I will post a few photos of the bits n pieces we purchase.
I will get Andy to add a few photos of his repairs.

Its only a power supply board, but a post covering the surgery wont hurt. lol      Hopefully the Euro- hacks can be minimised or gotten rid of entirely, but the board does look like it has had some very messy repairs. My 10 yr old daughter could solder better than the last hacker !

off to jaycar this morning aye? !@# It's 2:30 PM and still no sign of Brett.  !@# By the way most of the caps (I still need one more) plus a new bridge rectifier was $17. The reason I am one short is because I wrote the wrong value down on my list and forgot the schematic at home.  ^&^

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2011, 06:54:44 PM »
So far this power supply is a nightmare. The person who hacked this power supply has done 2 things wrong. 1. used a soldering iron that is way to hot for the job. and 2. has used crappy solder. By re soldering a lot of the pads they have done more bad than good. The reason that there are jumper wires all over the place is because the solder through pads have been damaged from over heating. I.E if you put one multi meter probe on a pad on the bottom of the pcb and the other probe on the adjacent pad on the top there is no continuity. It will not be a quick rebuild but it is repairable.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 08:52:00 PM by beaky »

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2011, 07:00:10 PM »
Sorry Beaky, didnt get over, was chasing a camera job who owes me lots $.

Thanks for buying the parts. Frankenstein will be happy to have his heart (power supply) put back in his chest.lol

I know that if u cant fix it, no-one can. (No pressure-lol)  ^^^

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2011, 10:00:52 PM »
All hacks have been removed and board has been repaired properly. the power supply now has all correct voltages. the main problem was the +5V was fluctuating between 4.2 to 4.5 volts before the rebuild.
I replaced all the electrolytic capacitors, fuse holders & G.I. plug some before and after shots below.

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2011, 10:02:16 PM »
and the component side.