Author Topic: Bally Viking  (Read 520 times)

Offline Steve2010

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
Bally Viking
« on: April 09, 2011, 05:21:06 PM »
Interested in opinions on this game.  I've never played it, but it looks like an interesting one.  Artwork is impressive, and the gameplay (at least what I have seen from youtube vids) looks good.  Sounds may need getting a bit used to.

With a production of 2,600, I take it that this may be quite an elusive game to find.  A quick check on the owner's list, and there are not that many.  I think I would like to add it to my want list, but not sure if a I am chasing perhaps a very hard game to find.

How much would one expect to pay for a decent, working game?  Thanks in advance.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: Bally Viking
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 05:43:58 PM »

This title is SUPER rare. I gave up on this game years ago, but I was lucky enough to import one 2 years ago. A definite keeper game. Artwork is astounding !

Sounds are similar to Space Invaders / Skateball.

Playfield is interesting. It is a bit like Mata Hari (top and right lane) and Playboy (right lane across the playfield to the outhole). In line drop targets like Paragon. Pops down the bottom.

An absolute BLAST to play. I would rate it just under Paragon and Fathom. Here's a sneal peak picture of mine - up next in the restoration Queue with another Bally Classic  #@#

I know of two or three others in australia - I think TonyT has one. Chances of finding one in good condition are slim, but you never know. I'd price a restored machine at $3500 + for a 9/10.

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Steve2010

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 08:19:50 PM »
Hey Nino, that is a phenomenal machine.  If the paint on the cabinet is original (and I'm assuming that it is) ..... well, it is simply stunning to have colours that strong and defined at the borders after all these years!  The backglass also looks sensational. #.# #.# #.#

Jeez, now that you've just described its gameplay, and I love the artwork, and seeing just how rare it would be to snag one ...... you have me now somewhat depressed. !!!

Offline tonyt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 08:35:56 PM »
I purchased a Viking last year. Really like the game, the artwork is superb. The settings with the sounds can be changed to either having most scoring as a chime effect or most scoring having sounds. I chop and change this for a bit of variety. It has a bit of everything, inline drop targets, normal drop targets, spinner, bumpers etc. It also has inlane/outlane gates to nudge the ball back into play, which is a great feature. Agree with Nino, there aren't too many around in Australia (probably because the Viking theme would be very popular in Europe), but having said that not impossible to find. Suggest you contact some of the importers like MarkC and Pinball Shed to keep their eyes out for one for you.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 03:46:55 AM by tonyt »

Offline chris288

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 11:18:32 PM »
Yep, Super rare as Tony and Nino have said, but just to upset you even more *)* I have one too.

I'm sure its not as good as Nino or Tonys .
I got it for a good price not working but minus the backglass. I think this was imported from South America and only came here because it was in a lot with some other desirable pins someone was importing.

After a bit of patience I found a backglass in USA for $100.

I would say you may have to import it yourself if you really want one, or ask Mark C or Tony Pinballshed to keep an eye out when they get their next container lot.

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 04:17:06 PM »
Yep, Super rare as Tony and Nino have said, but just to upset you even more *)* I have one too.

I got it for a good price not working but minus the backglass. I think this was imported from South America and only came here because it was in a lot with some other desirable pins someone was importing.

I would say you may have to import it yourself if you really want one, or ask Mark C or Tony Pinballshed to keep an eye out when they get their next container lot.

Youre lucky to find a backglass (and get it here from the USA)
I have tried a couple of times to get backglasses from the USA but ended up giving due to freight costs.
It seems very dependant on who the seller is and where they live, I've heard a few stories about one post office saying no to posting and another saying yes, bit inconsistant.
I would like to know your secret.

Offline chris288

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2011, 09:04:03 PM »

Youre lucky to find a backglass (and get it here from the USA)
I have tried a couple of times to get backglasses from the USA but ended up giving due to freight costs.
It seems very dependant on who the seller is and where they live, I've heard a few stories about one post office saying no to posting and another saying yes, bit inconsistant.
I would like to know your secret.

Yes you are right it is inconsistent, and I know you personally had a lot of hassalls getting your backglass shipped.

I do think luck plays a big role and also it helps a lot if the seller you are dealing with is prepared to go the extra mile. A lot of sellers just cant be stuffed.

There is no secret to it as such, just ask nicely and hope you get someone who is prepared to do that bit extra.

I have lost count of the amount of times I have emailed people to ask if they will sell overseas, only to get no reply at all or just a flat refusal, but it is a bit of a numbers game , if you ask enough sellers you will eventually get someone who will help out a bit.

I do honestly think the good ole Aussie Spirit is something thats unique to us here ie: we usually help out anyone if they seem fair dinkum.