Author Topic: Williams WPC Driver / power supply board repair  (Read 9386 times)

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
Williams WPC Driver / power supply board repair
« on: April 11, 2011, 10:29:25 AM »
This board is going to be a challenge to get back to a neat, tidy & working state.
It has a low 5V dc issue plus plenty of hacks.
It has most of the caps & Bridge rectifiers replaced before.
The board has come out of a different machine to the one i took it out of and by the looks of it all the heat damage was caused by the previous machine and not the one I took it out of.
I know i won't be able to make this board 100% hack free but I will get rid of as many as i can.
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline Steevsee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
Re: Williams WPC Driver / power supply board repair
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 02:52:04 PM »
What a mess! @.@
You sure do like a challenge Beaky.

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 03:29:36 PM »
I love the bit of veroboard stuck in there - hahaha
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 03:49:16 PM »
I love the bit of veroboard stuck in there - hahaha
they used hot melt glue to stick it in place. not the wisest of choices  !@)
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline v8racefan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast Queensland
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 05:22:50 PM »
Well this my driver board that's out of my CFTBL, its a hacked up mess to say the least  !!!

I have been having issues with this machine ever since I collected it from a so called mate who borrowed this for a party at his place. It appears now that the driver board was swapped out, as all the other boards are original just like the machine. I'm still spewin over this and as a result will never lend any of my pins out ever!.  !*!

I must say a HUGE thanks to beaky - andrew & cavey for calling over yesterday and helping me sort out some of my pinball problems, I know beaky has a challenge with this board, and as cavey says if beaky can't fix it now one can!!!!! thanks again.

This is what makes AP the best site on the planet  $#$ 
Pinballs in my collection Elvira, Stern Grand Prix, Bally Corvette, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Judge Dredd, Black Rose and Data East Guns n Roses.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 05:56:26 PM »
Well this my driver board that's out of my CFTBL, its a hacked up mess to say the least  !!!

I have been having issues with this machine ever since I collected it from a so called mate who borrowed this for a party at his place. It appears now that the driver board was swapped out, as all the other boards are original just like the machine. I'm still spewin over this and as a result will never lend any of my pins out ever!.  !*!

I must say a HUGE thanks to beaky - andrew & cavey for calling over yesterday and helping me sort out some of my pinball problems, I know beaky has a challenge with this board, and as cavey says if beaky can't fix it now one can!!!!! thanks again.

This is what makes AP the best site on the planet  $#$ 

That's a horror story if ever I heard one (swapping a board out) - but thanks to Andrew and Brett, I hope this butchered board is repaired PROPERLY by a skilled repairer (Beaky).

Keep us up to date with the reair log, Andrew !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 09:25:17 PM »
Leon (V8racefan) has one of the best CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON pinball machines i have ever seen. The cabinet is still like new and the playfield and everything else is immaculate. Its a really nice example.

Andrew will make the board alot better. Its not the end of the world. If a board is too badly damaged, its good to know new or 2nd hand replacements are available.
Its hard to know whether the machine came with the hacked board the way it is, or if it was swapped out later on. The only thing we do know, is that it certainly isnt the original board.

*FOOD FOR THOUGHT*
I THINK IT PAYS for everyone to take the boards out of your pinball machines/headboxes when u buy a machine and take a close look behind the boards. From the front, everything looks great, but its not til u look at the rear of the boards do u get the real picture. When i buy any machine, i always make sure all serial numbers on all boards and the playfield matchs. This is a great way to see how original a machine really is etc.

As i service each of my machines from now on, i am going to take a look behind all boards. After seeing some really bad hacks of late, espescially on power supply boards, i have become paranoid about a machine catching on fire. !*!

check ya boards guys. It will be worth the while in the long run.  ^^^ ^^^ ^^^

Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2011, 09:01:54 PM »
I started on the low +5vdc problem first. Caps (C5 & C4) and bridge (BR2) have been changed on this board for the +5v circuit. But c4 was a 1000uf where the schematic says 100uf and they have added a .01 monolithic capacitor across the GND and +5v out so I am assuming they have had a low 5v problem before and tried to bring the voltage up. I changed c4 back to a 100uf and checked the other cap and bridge So the only thing that is left is the LM323 (Q1) 5 volt regulator. It has a perfect 5v with no load but with a 250ma load it drops to 4.8V and of course with a bigger load it drops even more. I will keep you informed of the out come.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 11:42:12 AM by beaky »

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2011, 06:32:08 PM »
I have started on the G.I. section with all the hacks. It is pretty bad. One of the heat-sinks was held to the board by silicon & most of the solder pads are stuffed or missing. some of the components were held in by there legs being bent back up through the board and soldered to the next component or to pieces of wire. they were nearly just floating there.
All the screw holding the triacs to the heat-sinks were loose so most of the damage has been done because the triacs have been running super hot. The rest of the damage has been done with a big hot soldering iron.  ^&^
Then there is the vero board that two of the fuse holders are soldered to. !@#

I am now tossing up on whether I should make a new small pcb to go in were the vero board is, jumper the damaged solder pads & some how keep the floating components in place.
Or make a daughter board with the full G.I. section on it. The design I have in mind will plug into U1 via a wire wrap I.C. socket and i will put U1 on the daughter board & a couple of plugs that plug into the existing board for the G.I circuits. The whole daughter board will be held in by stand-offs that will be attached where the original heat-sinks are soldered so the whole board is removable for repairs.  

I know it won't look original but for this board to be reliable I think the daughter board is the way to go.

I will talk to the owner of the board about the options and get his go ahead first.

I have posted some pics to show how bad the board is and the floating parts.

Does any one have other ideas on how to over come this?

« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 07:04:35 PM by beaky »

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2011, 06:45:08 PM »
and after all the components and wires have been removed

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
the daughter board will be this shape.

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Beaky,

I am watching this with great interest.  You certainly have a challenge on your hands and with the huge amount of damage I would have scrapped the board in place of another or aftermarket.

Great idea for the daughter board and should work very well. 

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Daughter board sure sound interesting Andrew can't wait to see that.   Sure is a challenge man they have cooked that board to death

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
I am happy to help here if you like. I can easily make a "one off" PCB for you to your required design Beaky...

Let me know if you would like some help here...

Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
I am happy to help here if you like. I can easily make a "one off" PCB for you to your required design Beaky...

Let me know if you would like some help here...

Thanks homepin. The only hurdle I have is the shape. I have a couple of ideas in mind how to achieve this.