Author Topic: I'm wrapped! The Bally/Stern MPU project is now REAL!  (Read 1834 times)

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
I'm wrapped! The Bally/Stern MPU project is now REAL!
« on: April 26, 2011, 10:22:39 PM »
Yes, After a hard day/night/day assembling the first two configurations of the replacement Bally MPU kit the boys at Homepin have successfully built the first two versions of this board!

We now have a fully working MPU running an original 6800 Micro with 2732 eproms and another running a 6802 micro with no oscillator chip and no 6810 RAM required!!!

We are mightily chuffed and are off to hit the piss!!

The first pic shows the 6802 version the second the 6800 board, those that know these boards will spot the differences - weirdly the camera captured them both displaying 333333 on the gas display in display test mode??

Most parts are still on the way so we have time to fine tune the manual and hope to have kits available in several configurations in a few weeks.
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline goodolddays

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
Top Work !  Well done  ^^^ ^^^
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
Mike, are u considering doing other boards, for other models, or any of the newer stuff as well.   !@#

Buying boards from overseas doesnt make sense if alot of us can scource them from u.  ^^^

Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
A big thumbs up on this one.  ^^^
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline humpalot

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
Mike, are u considering doing other boards, for other models, or any of the newer stuff as well.   !@#

Buying boards from overseas doesnt make sense if alot of us can scource them from u.  ^^^

Especially when they don't always work correctly.  A combo data east and system 11 cpu board would be good for example.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast

Good Stuff Mike.  ^^^
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Pinfan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne

Good Stuff Mike.  ^^^

Agree with Nino, awesome stuff !  ^^^
Some people have big HEADS !

Offline Redback

• Forum Posts:
Excellent work!,

Red

Found hobby, now need coin

Offline Homepin

• Forum Posts:
A small update

The assembly manual is now finished (50 pages chocka with pictures and diagrams) as is all the other paperwork. As a point of interest we estimate assembly time to be 10~12 hours without rushing.

We are assembling the first batch of 20 kits right NOW! We are still waiting on a few parts to arrive and that could take another week or possibly two depending on the post.

I will assemble a third board in a day or so using 2716's and use it in my Bally Space Invaders as that is about the only configuration we haven't actually assembled and tested. I don't forsee any issues however.

We have decided the kits will include ALL small parts:

All resistors (including 2 of them upgraded to 1W and 2W)
All capacitors inc greencap, ceramic and electro
All transistors/diodes & LED
All 'hardware' parts such as connectors/turned pin sockets/test points/LED spacer/2W resistor spacer eyelets
Chokes/4 x 8 way DIP switches/CR2032 holder & batt/memory switch/reset sw/NEW test jumper lead

Basically EVERY part needed to assemble a fully functional PCB but less EPROMS and ALL I.C's

I have all I.C's in stock so they are available as people need them including the 'add-on' Oscillator board as a seperate 'mini-kit'.

OK - "how much" I hear you asking.............

This has yet to be 100% confirmed but I'm pretty confident it will be right:

1 X MPU kit as described above with instructions & inc post (in Australia) $129.00
add-on oscillator kit (when purchased with an MPU kit) $15.00

COMPLETE kit including all I.C's except EPROMS $185.00 in 6800 version or $170 in 6802 version.

EPROMS (programmed with software as requested) $14 each for NEW 2716 - $15 each for NEW 2732 or $10 each for used (either type).

Note the NEW red test lead that we supply (new test points built in and supplied) - this lead makes it easy for bench testing to generate the seventh pulse.

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
That's a great price Mike well done

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
Makes me wanna buy a dead Bally just   to be able to use one of these Mike!!
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast

Amazing job Mike.

One question (as I seemed to have missed this) - The board has provisions for a single 5101 - looking at the pics, there's no provision for the second 5101 for MPU-200 boards ?

Offline Homepin

• Forum Posts:

Amazing job Mike.

One question (as I seemed to have missed this) - The board has provisions for a single 5101 - looking at the pics, there's no provision for the second 5101 for MPU-200 boards ?

Yes, that is 100% my error. I didn't have a Stern board to check so we overlooked the second RAM.

So, obviously it won't do the job in place of an MPU200 as it stands but I am working on a plug in daughterboard for it.

I see most people using it for Bally - 35 replacement and we only have 100 boards so we can work that into the next batch

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast

Amazing job Mike.

Yes, that is 100% my error. I didn't have a Stern board to check so we overlooked the second RAM.

So, obviously it won't do the job in place of an MPU200 as it stands but I am working on a plug in daughterboard for it.

I see most people using it for Bally - 35 replacement and we only have 100 boards so we can work that into the next batch

I've heard of a 6116 being used in a vacant 24 pin socket to replace both 5101 CMOS RAM. I think I read somewhere that a MPU-100 can be successfully converted to a MPU-200 using a 6116. This would be a fantastic result, as MPU-200 need two 5101 CMOS rated at exactly the same speed to work properly.

Might be worth looking into for the next revision of your board ?

Offline Homepin

• Forum Posts:
Yes, we are probably looking at incorporating the mod shown here:

http://warpzonearcade.com/?p=392