Author Topic: BEWARE - DO NOT BUY  (Read 628 times)

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
BEWARE - DO NOT BUY
« on: April 27, 2011, 12:03:00 AM »
BEWARE - DO NOT BUY is an understatement for this listing.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140537397649&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

This machine is good for PARTS ONLY. I have inspected this machine personally in the past, and with the ENTIRE Ball snagger motor, mechanism etc etc etc COMPLETELY MISSING, the machine can never be played. The entire game is useless without this major component and the machine cannot lock balls or achieve multiball, and the game goes into constant search mode, which you cannot stop. The same machine can be purchased elsewhere, complete for around $1800 to $2200, so this machine is only worth $800 as a parts only donnor. THE PARTS ARE NOT AVAILABLE ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD. I looked at the machine with the view to overcoming its shortcomings, and the problem cannot be overcome. BEWARE -  DO NOT BUY, unless u want it as parts only. ( I ended up buying a whole machine elsewhere for only $2k in excellent condition).

I have dealt with the seller before and CANNOT say anything positive AT ALL.  I dont want to see any other forum member get fleeced.
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
Re: BEWARE - DO NOT BUY
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 02:20:37 AM »
Thanks for the heads up.
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 09:16:53 AM »

Thanks for the heads up, Brett  ^^^
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline 48

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 05:49:29 PM »
Appreciated mate  ^^^
Seems he found a buyer.
Have seen a fair bit of stuff for sale from this seller over the last coupla months.
Lets go Brandon!

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 06:33:15 PM »
If some poor bastard bought that machine expecting to get it going, they have just wasted alot of money, and bought themselves a long term nightmare.  @.@

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    

Offline TSPP

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 07:38:05 PM »
I can't help but wonder if the seller was someone different (m.c) and you'd had the same experience, if your comments would be the same  !@#
.....something witty here

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 07:58:14 PM »
I can't help but wonder if the seller was someone different (m.c) and you'd had the same experience, if your comments would be the same  !@#

TSPP, Ofcourse my comments would be the same if any other seller was dishonest. I was honest in my post. The machine is missing something major, I have inspected the machine personally, and i have had bad experiences with that paticular seller. Its not my experience that i am using as a guide, its the fact that that machine cannot be made to work without the major missing components being re-installed. You have to wreck a perfectly good machine to get those major parts.

In actual fact, I was contacted by 3 different people who were led to believe it was an easy fix, and it certainly is not. As a result, 3 different members have said now they are glad they sought advice before spending $1500. I dont care who the seller is, if u arent 100% honest, I would stop doing business with that person. Trust me, after 30 machines, I have learnt who is and who isnt bodgy in this industry. The listing itself says the machine can be easily modded, which is blatantly incorrect and misleading.

I dont think the sellers in Melbourne would be that silly, well, not in my experience after multiple purchases anyway.  
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 08:11:20 PM by Caveoftreasures »

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2011, 08:45:13 PM »
I dont think the sellers in Melbourne would be that silly, well, not in my experience after multiple purchases anyway.  

Good for you, but I wouldn't take my eye off the ball, Melbourne dealer or not.

Here's a example from a well-known Melbourne dealer last year to give you an idea of the quality of these people:

Bought a game on Ebay. Went up and gave it a few games, was happy and the legs were off before I realised it. Then it occurred to me that I hadn't noticed if a particular feature of the game was working. But the game was half packed so the Melbourne dealer **seemed** to call his tech and have a conversation in front of me "So it was working?" blah blah he said. Probably would have been quicker to put the legs back on, but I'm a trusting sole and as it wouldn't be earth-shattering even if it needed repair, left it at that. When we took the part apart a few days later is was clear the item could never have worked (well not in this universe under out laws of physics anyway). Not sure how this could have been - did the tech lie on the apparent phone call made in front of me?

Dealer, private - caveat emptor I'm afraid.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2011, 09:15:15 PM »
I totally agree with you Nick (Pinnies4me), any person buying a machine shld always ask lots of questions, ask for warranty, get photos etc etc, or take a experienced pinball purchaser etc. I note, there are plenty of people like yourself and Nino (Strangeways) in Melbourne, to help new members with purchases etc. I never had that luxury when i started purchasing. I just stood back, said little, and let the various so called professionals up here tell fib after fib after fib, then worked out real quick who was who in the zoo.

I cant comment on that experience you mentioned cause i dont know if it was a honest mistake or not.

**A few recent experiences up here i can comment on.**
1. Person pays for a machine to be professionally redecalled. Person decals straight over existing decals with no prep work, ruins a perfect set of decals worth $300, then says its how its done, then wants an extra $500 for his so called professional job. This is a so called professional who has been in the industry for 20 yrs. (total idiot).
2. Person asks for machine to be serviced (rerubbered n reglobed).Machine leaves with immaculate playfield, returns with different worn out playfield with different boards.
Another so called pro of ten years experience. (another total idiot)
3. Person leaves a $500 deposit to purchase a machine. Machine still not in stock 4 months later, container never arrives supposedly. Person asks for deposit back. Seller says cant give deposit back because machine still on water, will be here in another 4 months. Seller been in the game for 14 yrs. (another total idiot).

3 of QLD's best n biggest. No wonder I buy only from Melbourne.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 09:18:00 PM by Caveoftreasures »

Offline pinballowner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Qld south of Brisbane
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2011, 09:49:23 PM »
I bought my Hot Shot from a guy who called himself Pete's Pinnies out at Willowbank about 20 years ago. Would that be the same guy?

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2011, 10:16:15 PM »
3 of QLD's best n biggest. No wonder I buy only from Melbourne.

And no wonder I won't buy from Melbourne dealers!! At least not without inspecting it first and not trusting anything I'm told without verifying it for myself.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2011, 10:31:35 PM »
I bought my Hot Shot from a guy who called himself Pete's Pinnies out at Willowbank about 20 years ago. Would that be the same guy?

The ebay listing has the full details of the sellers name and same suburb etc. Draw your own conclusions.

Maybe us QLD'ers get the royal treatment from the Melbourne guys.lol    6 x machines so far, all perfect and at great prices. All done over the phone.  !@#
I have even purchased stuff from WG and got a happy person. Our QLD weather just brings out the best in people.  ^^^ ^^^ ^^^   

Offline bossninja17

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • sydney
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2011, 10:37:16 PM »
These bad experiences emphasise the need for forums like this, made up of a group of people who will look after each other.
I was thinking about the Drop a Card http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140529879106&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT on ebay which is being sold by the seller mentioned by CaveofTreasures. Kind of glad I didnt bid because I was relying solely on the description provided.
Definitely all of us need to follow the old rule "Buyer Beware" but this should hopefully only be for dealing with those outside this forum- you would hope that anything sold by our members to other members would be on the level. I have been fortunate - the last pins I either bought or swapped were with  members and both were 100% great.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 10:48:31 PM by bossninja17 »
Wanted: GTB Aquarius backglass. Any playfield bits and backglasses from any EMs - nothing is junk to me.

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2011, 11:08:22 PM »
These bad experiences emphasise the need for forums like this, made up of a group of people who will look after each other.
I was thinking about the Drop a Card http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140529879106&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT on ebay which is being sold by the seller mentioned by CaveofTreasures. Kind of glad I didnt bid because I was relying solely on the de******ion provided.
Definitely all of us need to follow the old rule "Buyer Beware" but this should hopefully only be for dealing with those outside this forum- you would hope that anything sold by our members to other members would be on the level. I have been fortunate - the last pins I either bought or swapped were with  members and both were 100% great.

Interesting!!!... i also enquired about the Drop a card and got VERY few pictures... 2 in fact.
Didnt realise it was a dealer.. was led to believe it was private.

Anyway - didnt matter, one person bid 3 times to get it and seller was a bit unfriendly in the emails... didnt bother in the end

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2011, 11:09:16 PM »
I am pleased that members "look out for each other", as Brett has done in this case, and I'd expect nothing less from him.

I've been lucky enough to have lived and breathed pinball since I can't remember, and there have been some "interesting" stories that I've witnessed over the journey. Seriously, I could write a book on dodgy deals (now there's a thought).

My "all time favorite" is a story I never get tired of telling. A friend of mine was royally ripped off by a dealer who charged him a whopping $3500 for a KISS in 1998. That was expensive back in the day. Anyhow, he had it delivered and setup (for free), and within half an hour it developed a fault - it would not fire a slingshot and there was a "burning smell". He called the dealer, who explained that the warranty was "return to base". Remember, this is while the delivery driver was heading back into the city - so he could have turned around to pick it up. My mate checked the manual and could not find anything obvious,  so he agreed to pay $180 for them to pick it up for repair. They picked the game up, and called the next day - the game was ready. Rather than pay $180 for the machine to be returned to his place again, my friend asked me if I could pick it up in the truck. I agreed and drove into town. As we walked through the showroom area, we noticed another KISS. My mate looked at the game and said "looks very much like my playfield - nice !". So we went out to the pickup area, and there is my mate's KISS. He looked at the game, and he said to me "that's not my KISS. My playfield did not have wear around the slingshots or bonus area." So we challenged the "service manager", and informed him that there was a mistake. After some lip service, I asked the "service manager" to raise the playfield. The operator who owned the game had an asset number unique to his business and unique to this game. It was written where the cashbox should have been. My mate mentioned that the KISS in the showroom has his playfield. So we checked that game and it had the EXACT asset number on the playfield. So the dealer was caught "red handed". He swapped the playfield and also the solenoid driver board.

What was even more dishonest was that the game manual was missing. I looked in the display cabinet (as I noticed that was where they had some manuals previously), and there it was, the KISS manual they had removed from the game, placed in their display cabinet with a $30 price tag. How did I know it was my mate's ? It had the same asset number on the cover, written in texta. I've never sent a single soul back to the dealer.

A recent gem was a story which is similar to the decal installation of Brett's. Instead of preparing the cabinet correctly, the decals were simply applied to the old  decals. But the "installer" made a big mistake - he left the original decals dirty - he didn't bother cleaning them, so the NEW decals peeled off easily after a month.

Both of these stories are years apart, but both are from Melbourne. There are sore rippers I heard of from interstate, but the assertion that Melbourne dealers have halos around their heads is simply not true. Not from my experience, anyway. There are more dealers in Melbourne and more machines are sold, so there are potentially more issues. The BEST advice I give people is to view the games WORKING - play the game before buying it - and always have a warranty (if supplied) handed over in writing. This is the same advise I give when any machine changes hands - Dealer, private, eBay or Auction house. Always ask for references (good or bad) and ask questions on forums or "word of mouth".

My best dealings have always been with other like minded "backyarders" - The hobbyists and collectors.

Again - we need more people like Brett to have the decency and honestly to let others know of their experiences. Certainly, his advice saved someone $1500 !

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia