Author Topic: Your Desert Island pin - why?  (Read 2267 times)

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
Your Desert Island pin - why?
« on: September 16, 2008, 11:21:04 PM »
Interested in people's personal favorite pin, and as far as you can explain - why. We have our house on the market, and the agent, while loving the games, made it clear they had to go, or at most, one left. In the end two were kept out - BBB and AFM. BBB simply because it aint going anywhere, but AFM - well the choice was to keep AFM, FH, Stargate, and the older Gottliebs, all of which I love. But I kept AFM as the game of choice to play. It's been about 6 weeks now. I miss FH and Stargate quite a bit, but am happy with AFM as the player game. So I've pretty much decided AFM is my desert island pin. Why? I love the open playfield, and the speed of the outer loop shots (when opened) after a couple of combos. Three and ball drain is all but guaranteed! But the speed is so exciting its worth the risk. Killing the jiggling Martians is great, even better when you start a different multi-ball before knocking them off and hear "Oh no, not multi-ball"!  But even better is the animation for extra ball. It's made me smile every time for 6 years, and the other day my five year old daughter noticed it and laughed for half an hour, telling anyone who'd listen about the big ball squashing the martians head! :) I love the light show, especially during the launch of jackpot multi-ball (and the animation - gotta be one of the best multi-ball intros around). Overall it is the sound though, the quality of the sound and the humour in the comments.

What's yours, and why???
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: Your Desert Island pin - why?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 11:36:36 PM »

I guess that if it was a deserted Island, there would be no power for the pinball, so it has to look good.. So I'll go with Paragon...

:D

It there was power  :o I'd still go for Paragon, as I never get tired of it. I love "in line" targets and the spinner shot is just magic when timed right. It is also the best looking pinball. This machine ticks all the boxes for me.. It would be the last pin to go..
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 11:55:14 PM »
Gee - tough call.
3 games come to mind and id be hard pushed to choose between them, each for their own reasons.

NASCO Bingo bango 1951 - reverse flippers means you have to adjust your mind angle. You HAVE to lose at least 2 balls in order to get Super special, leaving 3 balls to build the game and score the special itself. But when she lights up - its beautiful!

Wms Metro - Disappearing jet bumper is the coolest feature ive ever seen on a pin. The short flippers on this make it a tough game - some really awkward shots. This games relatively new so novelty factor is still there. Can be a cruel game and also a very rewarding one - i keep coming back to it for the challenge.

But in by a nose is Bally Lost World. Had this a few years, love the artwork, the strong flippers. Also the kickout and spinner combo shot if timing is perfect. Every one loves this game. Seriously considering bringing this up from the games room to the front room. This game has proved itself over and over for me, is like an old friend

Offline Pinball Fixers

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Montrose, VIC
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 12:41:07 AM »
For me it is Twilight Zone...

Mainly 'cos I have never completed it without cheating  ;D

But I just love the complexity to the game. Sucks me in every time.

Offline Pinballace

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 11:50:13 AM »
Okay I've got two answers one without power on the island and one with power.  For the one without power I have to go with Lost in Space...Heather Graham is on the backglass.  That and I wouldn't fret over yanking out the playfield and using the cabinet for a boat to get my arse back to civilization...providing Heather Graham isn't actually on the island. 

For the island with power I will go with Lord of The Rings.  Only because I've owned my TZ so long that I have had the pleasure of Zoning many many times.  LOTR's is new to me and seems deep enough to keep me busy for a long time.
The ramp business was very very good to me.

Offline Nug

• Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
  • NPC non-factory CEO
    • Coconut Island
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 01:25:32 PM »
all i know is im hooked on partyzone again

:P
oh my mistake.. you are wrong !

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2008, 01:54:43 PM »
It has to be Whitewater for me, heaps of ramps, smooth flow, lots of fun and a deep ruleset which always keeps you thinking of the best order to collect awards for maximum points, and to top it all off an awesome wizard mode ;D

Offline Pinfan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2008, 06:39:59 PM »
I'll have to go with ST TNG at the moment.

Very deep rule set and alot of fun to play. Well if you're a ST fan... ;D
Some people have big HEADS !