Author Topic: Scammers  (Read 379 times)

Offline pinballowner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Qld south of Brisbane
Scammers
« on: May 23, 2011, 06:11:13 PM »
Isn't it amazing how many scammers contact you when you put a wanted add up. I put one up on the Mr Pinball classifieds and I have had had a steady stream of emails saying they have what I want and am I still interested. I reply and tell them that I am interested so can they send me a photo of the items next to the front page of todays paper from whatever area they live in. Funnily not one of them has sent me a photo yet  !@#

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Scammers
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 06:20:03 PM »
Mr pinball Classifieds opens a floodgate of scammers...... the backglass i was chasing turned up in Nigeria of all places. Considering i was after a 1936 Bally Bumper BG, i was suprised to say the least!

Since then, i get all sorts of scams come through... bloody pain in the arse!

Offline Ric

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 06:58:20 PM »
I got excited that someone responded to my post until I asked for a photo and they went quiet

Then I got the more gonzo ones like "we have your requested part in stock, ready to despatch immediately" - a baseboard for a GTB Royal Guard, not likely

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 07:08:31 PM »

Best ones are the scammers that want to buy your $5000 pinball. They send you a $10000 cashier's check to pay for it and you transfer the remaining balance into a bank account in some African country.

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 07:12:03 PM »

Best ones are the scammers that want to buy your $5000 pinball. They send you a $10000 cashier's check to pay for it and you transfer the remaining balance into a bank account in some African country.

Yeah - "as-if" - wankers!
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 09:24:22 PM »
They still must catch some people out, otherwise they wouldn't waste their time   !!@

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 10:09:18 PM »
They still must catch some people out, otherwise they wouldn't waste their time   !!@

Emails are cheap - send a thousand and get a few hits, all it takes to be worthwhile unfortunately.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011, 02:28:00 AM »
just like the letter i got in the mail stating that I have a deceased relative in some Spanish country who has left me $2,500,000 dollars and they have been searching for months trying to find some one in Australia with the same sir name. Funny thing was my parents received the same letter on the same same day. I rang my dad and we joked about what we would buy with the money. they even had a web page address. when I went to the web page it had a "about us" link on it and it said that they had been in business since 1983 so I went to an internet cafe and sent them an email. The email stated that i was interested in claiming my inheritance and my email address was "sgtstadanko@aufedpolice.gov.au". funny that, i tried accessing the web site a week later and i got the old "Sorry! We could not find " coming up on my internet explorer.  :lol !!@        
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline pinballowner

• Forum Posts:
  • Qld south of Brisbane
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2011, 07:04:04 PM »
We got one of those letters once as well from Belgium. Said they had been looking for relatives blah blah blah. Funny thing is when my grandfather came here after WWII his Russian surname was mis-translated by the Germans. The only people with the name are relatives we have in Australia. Our name is unique and doesn't exist anywhere else in the world. So I don't know what relative they are talking about  !@# Anyway got a Belgium stamp for the kids stamp collection  :lol

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2011, 07:10:45 PM »
Anyway got a Belgium stamp for the kids stamp collection  :lol

@@* well done!
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline massappeal

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2011, 06:44:56 PM »
I find it funny when someone contacts me and offers me a piece of junk for $1000, then puts it on sale for $500.  They think I'm a stooge.