Author Topic: Importing 1 machine yourself  (Read 546 times)

Offline newpingirl12

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Importing 1 machine yourself
« on: May 27, 2011, 11:01:15 AM »
Hey Guys,

I got a quote from DHL to get a machine sent from the states to Australia. $1000 which seems reasonable to me. Has anyone done this and any pointers? Again it was The Simpsons Pinball Party I was looking at. We did work out figures and if we paid $3000 USD for the machine, $1000 AUD postage plus taxes of $500 AUD without currency converting we'd be looking at $4500.

This seems okay right but we'd have to have the plug changed to an Aussie type (not sure if an adapter can be used) This might be okay as my dad is an electrican. Then mum said what about insurence..... so lets say you spend another $500 AUD on that kind of stuff. You're getting up there at $5000 AUD..... would you take the risk to say $1500? It could go mighty pear shaped.....  ^&^

Suggestions? Ideas? Thoughts?

PS: someone did tell me the machine has to be pre 2005 otherwise it won't even work in Australia.... another risk  !@#

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
Re: Importing 1 machine yourself
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 11:09:39 AM »
Why would you bother? Seriously, you could buy an Australian delivered one of those probably for less money.
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 11:14:18 AM »
you would have to change the jumper settings on the transformer to run on 240v. also the MOV (metal oxide varistor) will have to be changed to a 275volt type. then the power fuse will have to be changed also. These should be explained in the manual, as far as the power lead goes i am not sure if they are the same as the late model williams power leads, the wiliiams lead is just like the lead that plugs into the back of a computer power supply. if they are it will be a matter of unplugging the lead from the back of the machine and plugging in an Australian type. I am not sure about the pre 2005 thing though.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 11:15:59 AM by beaky »
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 11:22:08 AM »
I would buy one from Australia for less money. Personally, I would only pay $4500 to $5000 for a Simpsons Pinball Party - Stern.
Some will argue they are worth more, depends on year model, condition, home use only etc etc. Ring around. See all the dealers in Melbourne.
I do know that Wayne Gilliard did have a real nice one for reasonable money.

Re importing anything, you cant even consider it unless u employ a freight forwarder who knows exactly what they are doing.
I have imported before, and done it all by myself, without an agent, but it was alot of time n effort, for something that I could not buy here in Australia regardless of how much money i threw at the purchase (star trek machine - huge item). You also must contact customs house (one in every city) and get all the paperwork importing requirements before u even start.  If u cant buy the item here, import with care, otherwise, save time n money n buy locally.

p.s- Simpsons is a fun game, or u could buy 2 x other machines for the same price. Food for thought.  !@#
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 01:12:17 PM by Admin »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline PinPal

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney, Australia
  • Pinpal Pinball
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 11:32:33 AM »
Maybe you should try Pinballs R Us in Sydney they carry the latest Stern games and I think its free delivery in the Metro area.
And besides it might be a lot cheaper that buying one from the U.S.
Thats my thought...

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 11:58:13 AM »
I've seen TSPP well under $5K from time to time, I'd be watching for one like that to come up. There's a number of horror stories on single imports, in fact take a look at this one from Swinks. http://aussiepinball.com/index.php?topic=6552.msg87754#msg87754
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2011, 12:42:07 PM »
Hi there

Check out my story that I left in the thread
> General discussion
> Your Collection
>" the adventures of your first pinball purchase" - I did it for my first pinball before I knew of this forum and I definitely would not do it again. I can even give you a spreadsheet of all the actual costs so you can go back and ask questions if you want.

Becareful if you do go ahead with it.

Jady
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline newpingirl12

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2011, 12:47:24 PM »
Thanks peeps. Yeah no matter what machine you look at there is always a lot to consider when you import from overseas.

If I was rich I would do a big container full!!

Yeah I rang Mark C and he had sold TSPP that morning  !!! typical!! Okay so importanting probably not the way to go. At least I asked before I just went and did it and got myself into a pickle!

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2011, 02:31:06 PM »

I would strongly advise against importing a single game unless you are fully aware of the costings.

$4500 for the game ?  *.*

Add GST for the game
Add Import costs -Customs clearance and paperwork
Add Freight forwarding fees
Know that there are tariffs that can be applied to save you paying 10-20% duty
Add GST for all the costs.

I bought a single game from Germany that I bought for AUS$1500

To my door, the game ended up (in total) to be AUS$2800 - $1300 in costs.

It will cost you a lot more than $4500.

There are so many dealers in Melbourne - at least FIVE places to visit and compare quality and price. Use that to your advantage and shop around. DO NOT buy the first one you find.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2011, 02:50:25 PM »
At Easter I picked up a TSPP from Adelaide for $4500

Be patient, another one will become available

Offline 48

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2011, 03:43:20 PM »

PS: someone did tell me the machine has to be pre 2005 otherwise it won't even work in Australia.... another risk  !@#

Yes this is correct, however I am unsure of the date when it started. There probably is a workaround, I believe it is a frequency related thing, ie if you try and run a USA machine (60Hz) on OZ power 50Hz it will not crank.
Lets go Brandon!

Offline 48

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2011, 03:46:36 PM »
Found it: Starts with Family Guy, February 2007.
A firmware thing apparently.
Lets go Brandon!

Offline Pintoxicated

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2011, 08:53:36 PM »
Great advice here from Nino.

There are so many catches to importing a machine/s.  About the only thing that you shouldn't have to pay is duty under the fair trade agreement between Aus and the US - this is where a customs broker would help out.  The machine MUST be described as a coin operated machine made in the USA - I can't remember that actual wording exactly but it was something similar to that.  Then you may or may not be hit with a customs inspection fee, fumigation, quarantine inspection.  You must ensure the pallet it is shipped on has been treated e.g. heat treated to have a chance of sneaking through quarantine.  Every time the shipping company or wharf looks at the machine they will charge you for it - fees to unload the machine and then fees to move it to the warehouse, then the machine has to be picked up within a certain number of days or there are more fees.......fees, fees, fees.

I have done it once.  I imported two machines from the US.  It was a great learning experience but would I do it again - NO.  Not unless it was a very very special machine at a great price that I couldn't get over here.  Nowadays with the numbers of machines pouring into the country, chances are the machine will surface at some stage.

I would strongly advise against importing a single game unless you are fully aware of the costings.

$4500 for the game ?  *.*

Add GST for the game
Add Import costs -Customs clearance and paperwork
Add Freight forwarding fees
Know that there are tariffs that can be applied to save you paying 10-20% duty
Add GST for all the costs.

I bought a single game from Germany that I bought for AUS$1500

To my door, the game ended up (in total) to be AUS$2800 - $1300 in costs.

It will cost you a lot more than $4500.

There are so many dealers in Melbourne - at least FIVE places to visit and compare quality and price. Use that to your advantage and shop around. DO NOT buy the first one you find.
Addicted to pins.

Offline newpingirl12

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2011, 05:08:22 PM »
Yeah lots of good points!

May have just found a TSPP for about 5k. Looks good so fingers and toes crossed. Will probably go see it this weekend  $#$

Wish me luck!!

Offline pinmadd

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2011, 07:05:32 PM »
Good Luck!  %$%   It's a great pin     ^^^