Author Topic: RCD on pinnies?  (Read 222 times)

Offline scottnds

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
RCD on pinnies?
« on: June 05, 2011, 10:19:16 PM »
Hello just a quick question regarding residual current devices.Should I be putting one one my machine?I have one on the house circuit just wandering if there is any benifit of putting one from machine to genneral power outlet?

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
Re: RCD on pinnies?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 10:22:06 PM »
I will be shouted down here  - BUT - I think RCD's are the biggest load of WANK ever inflicted on the general public!

Things were just fine without them - never an issue and all of a sudden - "because we can" - - - we HAVE TO!

PPfffttt.........
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline millsy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra
  • pinballaustralia.com
    • Pinball Australia
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 10:23:50 PM »
Dont they work  !@#
pinballaustralia.com

Offline pinballheaven

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 10:34:25 PM »
Not sure where your question is comming from but If you already have an RCD on the circuit(meter box) there would be no use in putting one between the machine and the wall socket as well.
If youlive in an area that is subjected to power fluctuations etc there are surge protectors that can protect your equipment much better than an RCD.

Jeff

Offline scottnds

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 10:38:18 PM »
Thanks thought that would be the case.Cheers

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 10:54:50 PM »
I live on the gold coast, in a new area, and we have the occassional power flucuation.

Blown fuses on pinnys and a blown up Hard drive in my Star Trek Voyager Machine was the result of the last power flucuation, costing me plenty. $

Anything from a surge protector (at the device) or a RCD, if cheap to purchase, CANT HURT. I understand what Mike(Homepin) is saying, but any extra technology that may safeguard you against financial or personal injury, when it comes to electricity, cant hurt.

p.s- I watched Beaky electocute himself oneday at a Security Install from a light switch. To this day, watching him SCREAM and swear and totally freak out, still makes the both of us laugh (espescially me).  %.% %.% %.% (he will kill me for mentionng this, but gee it as funny at the time).

They say Electricity is like your x-wife and $maintainence, once it gets hold of you, it rarely ever lets go. !  *%* *%*
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 11:03:21 PM by Caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2011, 11:42:24 PM »
I live on the gold coast, in a new area, and we have the occassional power flucuation.

Blown fuses on pinnys and a blown up Hard drive in my Star Trek Voyager Machine was the result of the last power flucuation, costing me plenty. $

Anything from a surge protector (at the device) or a RCD, if cheap to purchase, CANT HURT. I understand what Mike(Homepin) is saying, but any extra technology that may safeguard you against financial or personal injury, when it comes to electricity, cant hurt.

p.s- I watched Beaky electocute himself oneday at a Security Install from a light switch. To this day, watching him SCREAM and swear and totally freak out, still makes the both of us laugh (espescially me).  %.% %.% %.% (he will kill me for mentionng this, but gee it as funny at the time).

They say Electricity is like your x-wife and $maintainence, once it gets hold of you, it rarely ever lets go. !  *%* *%*
thats why if you have light switches with metal faces and home made mounting brackets you should have an RCD on your lighting circuit also.
And as far as compulsory RCD.s go I am all for it. 15 years ago I was working under a 1500 litre fish tank with its on switch board. I knocked a pipe which broke and water poured all over the switchboard and on the ground. If it wasn't for the RCD which cut the power I would have been kneeling in live water.
Any way, if you have an RCD at your switch board then there is no need to put one on your pins
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2011, 03:55:09 PM »
15 years ago I was working under a 1500 litre fish tank with its on switch board. I knocked a pipe which broke and water poured .. .. ..

But more importantly, how are the fish?? ??
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2011, 08:08:36 PM »
15 years ago I was working under a 1500 litre fish tank with its on switch board. I knocked a pipe which broke and water poured .. .. ..

But more importantly, how are the fish?? ??
The fish are fine. there was a big tap before the brake which i turned off after I made sure the power was turned off (didn't realise that the rcd tripped until i went to turn the pump back and and it didn't go.  @.@
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline scottnds

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2011, 09:10:40 PM »
Thanks may go for a bit of surge protection and disconnect when not in use.