Author Topic: How do you organise a complete playfield strip?  (Read 638 times)

Offline 48

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
How do you organise a complete playfield strip?
« on: June 08, 2011, 02:36:34 PM »
About to start a full playfield strip for my F-14, more specifically the underside thereof.
Just wondering how the experts here go about organising this.
As per Nino's best advice, photograph everything, always. Goes without saying, this has saved me a lot of headaches when reassembling after a topside clean.

What I was looking for does anyone have a method to keep the underside stuff in some semblance of order? Do you lay it out somehow or label things, or perhaps just work off the aformentioned photos?

I figure I could put it all back together from a heap of bits but if there is a way to save some time and not get frustrated I would like to know about it.
Do you leave everything attached to the wiring harnesses, ie: globes solenoids targets small boards? Or do you desolder some of the stuff like flipper coils etc.

Any help would be appreciated, I can see a long weekend wasted on a pinball!!
Lets go Brandon!

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
Re: How do you organise a complete playfield strip?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 03:22:08 PM »
I unscrew everything from the playfield until it is all sitting loose but still in place. Then I slide a piece of stiff cardboard or thin ply over the playfield underside, keeping the harness and mechs in their approximate place. As you slide you'll encounter things you missed and undo, then keep on going until you have the lot on the cardboard, them slide the lot off and put somewhere where the wife/kids/pets won't disturb it, ready for the reverse action when you're done.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Marty Machine

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 03:39:15 PM »
Besides photo's galore, i like to remove the parts (topside or underside) and group on the bench or floor by their respective 'layers' .

That way you know the 'closest' parts go back on first, then the 2nd pile goes on top, then the 3rd pile ontop again.

This is very handy when trying to sort all those nasty underside ramps & rails and everything that goes under/over them.

MM.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 06:07:43 PM »

Besides photos, you can easily remove sub sections from the game and let the switches and coils "hang". I never have the need to remove or desolder coils from the mail loom. I just use my trusty "hand made" playield rotisserie and turn the playfield upside down etc.

Some people put assemblies in bags and label them. This is also a good idea.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline 48

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 06:24:37 PM »
Knew I would get a few good ideas on this forum! Thanks for the prompt replies folks  @@*
It's just that I like to ask others opinions before I rush in to something.
Lets go Brandon!

Marty Machine

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 06:51:27 PM »
Knew I would get a few good ideas on this forum! Thanks for the prompt replies folks  @@*
It's just that I like to ask others opinions before I rush in to something.
a bit like getting married hehehehehehehe