Author Topic: [Tech Tip #12] Faulty ROMs - Be Afraid!!  (Read 1448 times)

Marty Machine

• Trade Count: (0)
[Tech Tip #12] Faulty ROMs - Be Afraid!!
« on: June 15, 2011, 09:16:50 PM »
Tech Tip #12 - Faulty ROMs - Be Afraid!!

This is a not-so-obvious fact that everyone should be aware of......and focus is mainly on OLD Eproms, not current (2000 onwards)
Erasable Eproms (the Roms with glass windows on them) can only hold their data (guaranteed) for around 10years, although some may hold for 15-20, it all depends how much they're been used, and also how often they've been re-programmed over the years....

If you're wondering why a pin isn't booting, gameplay is random, or your sound roms are suffering no speech, gaps or missing effects, then these can all be caused by what we call "flakey roms"

It certainly pays to download the rom files from various sites, and having a backup when things go 'flakey' ;-)

One of the first things i did at my work when receiving new equipment was to pop the lid off and copy the Eprom to a file, knowing that in 10years time, there was going to be trouble and we had a plan.B to get by....

MM.
Tech Tips are brought to you by me, and are aimed to assist beginners and advanced users.
Common sense is sometime so common that everyone ignores it ;-)

« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 12:54:18 AM by Marty Machine »

Offline PinPal

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney, Australia
  • Pinpal Pinball
Re: Tech Tip #12 - Faulty ROMs - Be Afraid!!
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 11:59:08 PM »
Interesting topic  ^^^
I just got new Eproms for my Party Zone and the Getaway.  What a difference with Party Zone, I changed it from an L1 to an L3, the game plays different and better than before. The old L1 chip was the same as you spoke of with the glass window. So the factory Eprom must have been replaced at one time.

Marty Machine

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 12:54:39 AM »
You're improvement might be a software version upgrade? as opposed to having a really dodgy rom?

MM.

Offline PinPal

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney, Australia
  • Pinpal Pinball
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 11:38:02 AM »
This is where I got my Eproms from   http://cgi.ebay.com/Party-Zone-Pinball-chip-upgrade-L-3-/220756986857?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item3366244be9
He does Eproms for most of the Bally and Williams games. He is in Collingwood Canada not Melbourne, "lol"

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 11:10:29 PM »
This is where I got my Eproms from   http://cgi.ebay.com/Party-Zone-Pinball-chip-upgrade-L-3-/220756986857?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item3366244be9
He does Eproms for most of the Bally and Williams games. He is in Collingwood Canada not Melbourne, "lol"
or you could get them here in Australia.  :spam:  &&
http://beakyspinballrepairs.moonfruit.com/
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 11:12:12 PM by beaky »
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 08:39:27 AM »
I have been reading all the Tech Tips that Marty has been putting up on the forum, and the tech tips are Excellent.

The best thing about Marty's tips, is that they are well written and easy for everyone to understand , as well as very relevent to most peoples pinball needs.

Well done Marty.  Excellent resource of information.  ^^^ ^^^ ^^^
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Redback

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2011, 09:59:08 AM »
Enjoying the tips,

Keep them coming,

Red
Found hobby, now need coin

Marty Machine

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2011, 10:48:51 AM »
Thanx guys for the positive support...

I know most of tips may seem obvious or very simple, but for newbies and non-tech users it may be very helpful info....

I just keep typing them up as i'm doing things myself, and feel it might be handy to share....

MM

Offline The pinballist formally known as Dean Morgan

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Berwick Vic
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2011, 01:01:54 PM »
Good tips Marty,  I have had corrupt eproms twice on Williams Pins.  Really strange faults, one was on Fish Tales and the reel would not operate, was Ok in test mode but noting during normal play, turned out to be the eprom.

Keep the Tips coming Marty, good reading ^^^
Im a Gottlieb Man - System 1 & 80 Rock