Author Topic: Bally Space invaders acid damage  (Read 971 times)

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
Bally Space invaders acid damage
« on: July 01, 2011, 12:45:19 AM »
next repair job on my list is a space invaders mpu board, solenoid driver  / power supply board and rectifier board.
I will start with the mpu board that has been patched up enough to get it it to a point where you have to reseat the eproms to get it going every now and then.

The customer was told that it may stop working and if it does just re seat the eproms because of the corrosion. this is how my customer received his board. (see photos below)
I will post some more photos as my work progresses

By the way there are some components on this board that i just could not buy in an axil package (like some capacitors) so a big thank you to Mike at Home pin for coming to the rescue with these. I could have bought an equivalent but the board would not have looked the same.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 12:55:05 AM by beaky »
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
Re: Bally Space invaders acid damage
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 12:46:15 PM »
Glad to help. I couldn't find axial caps anywhere either so I had a capacitor factory run me off a minimum run (which was a LOT) in the values used on the Bally MPU.

If that board is stuffed I know where you can get a BRAND NEW replacement  %.%
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 12:56:58 PM »
Glad to help. I couldn't find axial caps anywhere either so I had a capacitor factory run me off a minimum run (which was a LOT) in the values used on the Bally MPU.

If that board is stuffed I know where you can get a BRAND NEW replacement  %.%
if it was stuffed you would be the only person i would be getting a replacement from Mike.
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 12:54:30 AM »
I have now removed all the corroded parts and all the I.C. sockets.
even though some I.C. sockets had been replaced the corrosion was not treated properly and was again doing damage.
I have also removed all the pin headers (plugs) and will be replacing them with new ones.
Next step is to remove and neutralise all the corrosion.