Author Topic: 1980 Bally Space Invaders Cleanup  (Read 6251 times)

Offline faza

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
Re: 1980 Bally Space Invaders Cleanup
« Reply #105 on: September 28, 2011, 07:42:18 PM »
Top job I love the artwork on si

Offline Jango

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #106 on: September 29, 2011, 04:18:53 PM »
Another small update on the progress of the Space Invaders:

I have basically completed 95% of the work on the underside of the playfield, finalising clean solder points on new coils and am almost finished hand cleaning the wiring with Nifty and a chux.  Years of grime on the wiring harness is just coming straight off.  All tied off again using new cable ties (yet to be trimmed)

Here are the pics of the 4 x rebuilt flippers with rebuild kits from PBR, and pics also of the newly rebuild assemblies

My additional Leds arrived today from Cointaker and will be installed soon.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 04:20:41 PM by Jango »

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #107 on: September 29, 2011, 11:21:26 PM »

Looking good Jase - keep the updates coming. I'll bet it will be a sweet game to play when completed. Even looking at the finished game in a collection is quite imposing. I'm missing mine !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Jango

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #108 on: October 23, 2011, 10:57:35 AM »
Another small update on this Space Invaders restore.  I have been really busy with work lately and have not been able to get a tonne of stuff completed but here goes.....  

I actually have 2 Space Invaders machines now believe it or not.  The latest addition I picked up, as I really liked the playfield as it was in a little better condition that the one I already had.  That's probably a little anal but hey who cares right...

I had intended to only swap the playfields out and sit on the other one to clean up in the future, but after starting to remove bits and pieces etc, I could not help myself and started to tear down the entire cabinet.  Basically I have given the cabinet and back box on the 2nd machine the same treatment that I gave to the original.  Beaky also has the boards and is weaving his magic on those as we speak

Here are some pics of the latest Spacies cabinet and back box:

Here's a nice pic of both Space Invaders machines side by side:

I have basically finished putting everything back together on the playfield (on the machine from the original restore) using all new parts from Marco's and PBR.  Basically most parts on the playfield are brand new and on the underside I have all new coils and flipper rebuild kits etc.  

I also sourced new repro plastics set that CPR did a few years back.  Had to get them sent from Norway and they were quite expensive!.  They only arrived this week.  I have placed some into position just to see how they look and I can tell you the colours are just gorgeous.  They really make this machine.  The custom topper will look awesome once the game is complete

Here are some pics of the playfield and plastics:

I have ordered some new parts from Pinrestore, Pinball Pro, Marcos and PBR (mainly for the latest machine).  I am off to NY for work late next week and am having it all delivered to my hotel.  On Nino's advice I have ordered 2 x sets of black Bally legs from PBR, and I also ordered a new subwoofer speaker upgrade from Pinball Pro for the machine.

I am really thinking of taking a detour to Vegas for a few days on the way home through LA as I'd really like to visit the Pinball Hall of Fame.  I reckon I'll do it..
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 12:39:52 AM by Jango »

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #109 on: October 23, 2011, 11:03:12 AM »
Mate...

Let me take it off your hands for $1000 before you waste anymore time and money on it

Offline Jango

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #110 on: October 23, 2011, 11:15:26 AM »
HA......... mate I think it definitely will be an issue if / when I do decide the sell the 2nd one as I may not get get back the investment in $ I have spent and I definitely will not get back any profit from the time spent on this project. 

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #111 on: October 24, 2011, 08:52:33 PM »
I definitely will not get back any profit from the time spent on this project. 

As you already realise you can forget about getting any $$ for the time you invest in a restore .. its a shame but thats the reality of this hobby (for most of us anyway)
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #112 on: October 24, 2011, 09:53:57 PM »
Looking Awsome.   I'm very jelous alwas wanted a space invaders but never cashed up when they come available let alone two.   Keep up the good work

Offline Jango

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #113 on: January 22, 2012, 12:36:16 AM »
Hi guys - Its been almost 3 months since the last update on this Space Invaders restore so here goes.....

The new Pinball Pro speaker has been installed

A pic of the completed undercarriage of the playfield.  Everything cleaned and re-tied

One thing that I did notice about some pieces of metal that I had cleaned with Ranex, is that some minor surface rust was beginning to reappear.  I wanted to know what i could do to stop / delay the onset of this.  After doing some reading I was left with the option of electroplating these items (was not going to do that on this machine) or go down the path of treating them with a metal conditioner after re-cleaning the offending items.  Quite a few people on the net were raving about a product called Penetrol.  This product is just brushed on and it dries and forms an airtight seal (apparently), which prevents the formation of rust as the key ingredient (oxygen is removed).  So I popped down to Bunnings and purchased a small tin, re-cleaned the metal pieces by giving them a light sand to remove the surface rust, and then I gave them a very light coat of Penetrol.  It dried clear overnight and looks great thus far.  I guess if I have any dramas in the future, I can just strip it off, but the word is that its works very well.  Wondering if anyone else has used this product??

Here are some pics of the new Siderails that I purchased from JPD and installed a few days ago.  I decided to remove the original rails and went with the nail-less version.  They look awesome and definitely worth the $$

I also decided to hit the coin box with some Ranex as it was quite rusted and looking worse for wear.  Its come up quite well I think

Here are some pics of the apron.  I had completely stripped this using paint stripper, gave it a light sand and I gave it 3 coats of White Knight Super Primer, followed by 3 coats of White Knight Satin Black.  I had ordered the apron decal from Classic Arcades in the US and I installed it and finished it off with 4 coats of White Knight Gloss Acrylic.  I was a little disappointed with the decal as its not a perfect fit around the ball entrance / gutter region.  I had to use my scalpel to cut a little there.  Here's a pic of the final product before installation.  I also printed some new instruction cards.  It looks great

I also hit the Lockdown Bar with some Ranex.  It was quite rusty on the underside.  Here are some pics taken after cleaning it up.  I also gave the topside a light sand and it removed some slight scratches.  Its come up really nice.  I still have to install the beerseal.

There are just a few very minor things I need to do to this machine before its completed.  I have installed all of the repro plastics set from CPR and will have to also install the custom Topper.  I have new black legs from PBR, a few things to do to the door.  All leds have been installed and will take some more pics soon of those in action (makes a huge difference especially to the backbox).

Once this machine is completed, I will finish off the other Spacies as well - not allot to do on that one as I've been working away at it and its been given pretty much the same treatment as this machine.

Stay posted.....
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 01:40:56 PM by Jango »

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #114 on: January 22, 2012, 01:23:40 AM »

Very nice Jase. The speaker kit will make the house rumble with that background noise.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #115 on: January 22, 2012, 09:15:30 AM »
Going well there!

Also, I think we can now guess a couple of other pastimes you enjoy.

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #116 on: January 23, 2012, 12:19:08 PM »
good work there mate,

as far as the rust thing goes with the cleaned metal you can have them zinc or nickel plated at the electro-platers or what I do with some of the lock down bar mechs is spray paint with a good quality clear lacquer using a pressure pack. of course if you manage to chip or scratch the clear lacquer off it will start to rust again.

I was going to try an experiment with some car wax and rub it all over the metal, let it dry then rub the excess off to see how that goes but I haven't got around to it yet. I will let you know how it goes. 
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #117 on: January 23, 2012, 09:34:26 PM »
Nice work, another solution to the oxidation would be to use Autosol metal polish on them, it leaves a thin barrier, and can be reused to buff back up again in the future.

Offline Jango

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #118 on: January 23, 2012, 09:48:52 PM »
I did use Autosol to hand polish a few pieces after hitting them with Ranex and I got some minor surface rust.  I may not have left enough of a film on it.

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #119 on: January 24, 2012, 09:49:13 AM »
I did use Autosol to hand polish a few pieces after hitting them with Ranex and I got some minor surface rust.  I may not have left enough of a film on it.

That is surprising, you shouldn't need to leave a film just polish and rub/buff off.  I thought that Autosol would have protected it enough  @.@