Author Topic: 1980 Bally Space Invaders Cleanup  (Read 6293 times)

Offline Olivia_jason

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: 1980 Bally Space Invaders Cleanup
« Reply #60 on: July 28, 2011, 05:47:17 PM »
Hey Nino - interested to know what you think was the lifespan of such a machine onsite and how long it took to make the USD$800 investment back for the operator - it kmust have been hugely profitable or these guys back then.?.  How long these machines stayed onsite etc..

I would imagine it would be a while, allot of 20C to make $800 and then consider running repairs and taxes and what not. but then again in the 80s arcades were popular. the amount of money to run an arcade and cost to buy machines would be allot, i guess thats why we dont see to many these days. its shame really.
I'm putting a pinny in my shop which cost a only little more than that, ill be running $1 for 5 balls, im interested if i can break even and if so how long it would take. its only an attraction to the shop more than a big money spinner, give me a few weeks and i'll give you an idea.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #61 on: July 28, 2011, 06:07:40 PM »
Hey Nino - interested to know what you think was the lifespan of such a machine onsite and how long it took to make the USD$800 investment back for the operator - it kmust have been hugely profitable or these guys back then.?.  How long these machines stayed onsite etc..

Paragon was operated until 1995. IIRC - Star Trek, 2 X KISS, Paragon were four machines still on route when Dad pulled the pin. There was already over 200 machines in two seperate storage buildings that were retired and eventually sold into the private market, given away and thrown away. Kinda makes me laugh when Dealers make comments like "We started the idea of putting pinballs machines into every home" - When my old man was doing it in the late eighties.

Earning capacity of Paragon or Space Invaders - impossible to tell. Those figures were never recorded over the entire lifespan of a game. I'd say it would have taken less than 6 months to pay off a game. At a complete guess - they would have made an easy $1000 a year for the first 3 years until the videos came along. That would be their earning capacity, not the figure taken home by the operator.

A machine was left onsite for at least 6 months (60's - 80's).
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Olivia_jason

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #62 on: July 28, 2011, 08:30:39 PM »

Paragon was operated until 1995. IIRC - Star Trek, 2 X KISS, Paragon were four machines still on route when Dad pulled the pin. There was already over 200 machines in two seperate storage buildings that were retired and eventually sold into the private market, given away and thrown away. Kinda makes me laugh when Dealers make comments like "We started the idea of putting pinballs machines into every home" - When my old man was doing it in the late eighties.

Earning capacity of Paragon or Space Invaders - impossible to tell. Those figures were never recorded over the entire lifespan of a game. I'd say it would have taken less than 6 months to pay off a game. At a complete guess - they would have made an easy $1000 a year for the first 3 years until the videos came along. That would be their earning capacity, not the figure taken home by the operator.

i guess allot of the mo0ney would be made on resale of a machine? so you might have earned say $500 on the machine that cost $800 but sold the machine for $600 secondhand? just random figures, but is that sort of what happened on some games?

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #63 on: July 28, 2011, 10:24:18 PM »

i guess allot of the mo0ney would be made on resale of a machine? so you might have earned say $500 on the machine that cost $800 but sold the machine for $600 secondhand? just random figures, but is that sort of what happened on some games?

It all depends. In the case of the Space Invaders machine we had, the game was sold privately. I have no idea what it was sold for, however, in the late 80's games such as Bally Eight Ball, Star Trek, Evel Knievel, Mata Hari, 6 Million Dollar Man etc would have been sold for $250 to $350 each.

Space Invaders would have been purchased for US$800, been on route from 1980 - 1992ish and paid for itself 20 times over (conservative), before being sold for $350 - $500.

I recall the NIB KISS machines were only US$600 - $650 - which was expensive in 1979. I have a "Flash amusements" flyer dated in the late 80's selling them for AUS$600 second hand. Best of luck finding one for $6500 today ! KISS was another title that needed the cashbox emptied twice a week in its first year of operation. The Ballys of this era (1979 - 1982) were massive earners.

Offline Olivia_jason

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #64 on: July 28, 2011, 11:16:28 PM »
interesting mate, cheers, i guess we better get back to topic.

Offline Jango

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #65 on: July 28, 2011, 11:26:52 PM »
Ok - back to topic.  A small update:

*  The freshly painted light board with cleaned wiring and scoring led displays has been installed.  I only painted the front side and just cleaned the rear side with Nifty as I really did not want to strip the piano wiring and other stuff etc.

*  All looms cleaned and various plugs installed back to the lamp and sound boards

*  The freshly serviced and overhauled rectifier board, MPU and solenoid boards (done by Beaky) are in the mail

*  I have pulled apart the coin door and am working through cleaning all those parts - I am just looking for a 20c coin mech at present as it only has 1 x SBA in there at present.  I've taken a tonne of pics and am also relying on Nino's pics of his coin door from his restore.  I am hoping I do not stuff this up

*  The next step after all that will be stripping the playfield and replacing coils, flipper assemblies and heaps of playfield parts that I bought from the US.  I will also be putting in LEDS that I purchased from Cointaker in the US

More pics will be uploaded tomorrow hopefully

Offline Jango

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #66 on: July 29, 2011, 08:04:09 PM »
I received the serviced and overhauled rectifier board, MPU and solenoid boards in the mail from Beaky today.  Pics are detailed below.  What a fantastic job Beaky has done here bringing these back to great condition.  I'm told all tested and in perfect working order for many years to come

Here is a few before shots of the rectifier board and MPU and solenoid boards as I had originally received them in June

And the after shots after Beaky weaved his magic:

The revitalised solenoid board:

The revitalised MPU:

The revitalised rectifier board:

Offline Jango

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #67 on: July 29, 2011, 08:10:49 PM »
Does anyone know where I can get a good relatively cheap speaker for the cabinet locally within Australia?.  The original one is oval shaped and is an 8 watt, 8 ohm speaker.  I'd like to get one maybe a little more powerful and only want to spend around $25.  Any advice appreciated.

Original pic attached

« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 08:15:24 PM by Jango »

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #68 on: July 29, 2011, 08:39:07 PM »

Great work there, Andrew  ^^^

Speaker - Try JB Hi Fi or similar ? I've never had to replace one of these before, but a cheap speaker should do the trick.

Here's a good link providing an insight into speaker selection for DMDs - as long as you follow the 8 Ohm limit you should be fine.

http://www.thekorn.net/speakers/

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #69 on: July 29, 2011, 11:48:34 PM »
Thanks Strangeways.

Jango, I have a couple of relay covers for you to try on that relay on the solenoid / power sup board. I will post them to you when I send you the other housings and pins.
The relay covers were donated to me by a member of this forum '48' (Lindsay) so a big thank you goes to Lindsay for those  ^^^

Also a big thank you goes to Homepin (Mike) for all the 2.54mm header pins, 470pf axil caps (which are imposable to get any where) and the resistor upgrades used on the mpu board  ^^^

All the I.C. sockets where replaced on the mpu board and I also removed and replaced a lot of components because of the corrosion.

I also repaired the nasty burn on the driver board among a huge list of other things.

When I get some free time I will do a post on the repairs and upgrades for these boards.

On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline Jango

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #70 on: July 30, 2011, 12:34:24 AM »
Thanks Andrew.  Again...A SUPERB job!

Thanks also to Homepin and Lindsay
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 09:52:21 AM by Jango »

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #71 on: July 30, 2011, 02:45:36 AM »
Thanks Andrew.  Again...A SUPERB job!
cheers mate & thanks  ^^^

On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline Jango

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #72 on: July 31, 2011, 01:53:54 PM »
A small update..... I have installed my Cointaker LEDS into the back box that I got whilst I was in the US (Pics below).  

In the infinity area, I went with Cool White super brights and in the light board I went with a combination of Cool White Supers, a few Super Bright greens in the Alien abdominal area and a few Super Bright reds in the Alien's head area.  I also went with some Super Bright blue's in the Bally (top left corner of the inner back glass) and other written areas (Tilt, Shoot Again etc).  It should look great as I did some research on the net re what others had done.  I was a few Cool White Super's short, so I need to order some more from Cointaker.

I also installed the rectifier board and transformer and did all the soldering.  Thanks a tonne once again to Beaky for making it idiot proof for me!  It all looks nice and neat

« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 02:02:55 PM by Jango »

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #73 on: July 31, 2011, 10:55:08 PM »

LEDs in an SS headbox - now this will be interesting !

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #74 on: August 01, 2011, 04:45:57 AM »
It's looking fantastic mate.  ^^^

When I come down to Melbourne in the near future I will get rid of those terminal strips for you that are next to the rectifier board. There is no need for them now that the rectifier board has proper headers and plugs on it.

Fortunately I had a couple of old pinball looms so I was able to use all the correct coloured wires on the plugs. It would be a night mare trying to remove the connector strips if i had only used the 3 colours that where on it.

It's looking more and more like a new machine so keep up the good work.