Author Topic: Rectifier Board progress  (Read 3138 times)

Offline deep six

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle NSW
    • ATC Heaven
Rectifier Board progress
« on: July 15, 2011, 10:39:07 AM »
Hi All

I thought I would start a new thread on this board rebuild of mine, it started out as a solonoid question but kind of migrated to this.
I figured the old thread was 3 pages long and getting a bit hard to follow.
So to recap, I have the rectifier board out of my Stern Galaxy, although it looked extremely ugly it was still working, for how long I can't say though.
Following excellent tips from members of this board, and from gleaning info from other places on the web, and even though I was advised to possibly look at just buying a new board I have pushed on with rebuilding my old board.
Partly through stubborness and partly because I am too cheap to buy a new one and partly because I figured the experience gained would be a huge help with other issues I will no doubt encounter with the rest of the machine.
Here is the board as found in situ.

Here is the board as it now stands

The board is now stripped and sanded, most of the solder removed, it has taken what seems like forever to get all the old solder off. I wore out two tips on my solder sucker, plus half a roll of solder braid, of course this is all new to me so  someone with more experience would have most probably found it easier.
At first I was very careful not to sand off the screen printed locations for the transformer inputs, but then I figured it was more important to get a good connection so I went back and sanded madly around all the points. I did take the step of photographing both sides of the board (twice) so I should be able to find where everything goes.

I also made a set of decals, one for the top of the rec board mount plate that shows specs of fuses etc, and also made some to fix to each wire in respect to its location on J1, J2 and J3. plus a set for E1 to E12.
if anybody would like a set of these please pm me with your address and I will post them out, its my small contribution to this board, I figured there was not much info I could share but wanted to give back something since everyone has been so helpful to me.

The parts for the board turned up from Big Daddy yesterday so I am about to go into the re-assemble stage.

One thing I'm not sure on though is should I be re-tinning the board where I have rubbed through to the copper, I know some of this will be covered when I re-solder components back on but some will still be bare??

"Wanted" Snappy signature, please insert here......

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
Re: Rectifier Board progress
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 11:05:12 AM »
Looks to me like you're off to a pretty good start  ^^^ You should have it finished in no time! Glad to see you decided to keep going on the original board rather than replace it, Its really not that hard to rebuild one of these as you will find out. If you follow all of the instructions in the repair guides you should have no trouble getting it going  ^^^

With regards to buying replacement boards, i'm the same, i'll ALWAYS try to repair an original board first (unless someone has totally ruined it), and buy a new one as a last resort.

looking forward to seeing how it turns out... Cheers.. Mitch

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 11:31:19 AM »
Great work so at it's far more rewarding to repair instead of replace and a really food board to start with just about right to start building your confidence.  Well done

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 11:55:36 AM »
One word of advice - I would run a thin piece of wire through each hole when re-assembling to 'stitch' the two sides together as the through hole plating was poor to start with and may have been damaged over time and with all of your EXCELLENT efforts.
I strip off a piece of multistranded hookup wire and use one strand of that. Stops any nonsense & eliminates problems when things heat up and become intermittant.
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline deep six

• Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle NSW
    • ATC Heaven
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2011, 05:34:59 PM »
Almost there.
I had a bit of trouble understanding where the jumper wires were meant to go, had trouble making out their orientation on nino's post and couldn't find another pic elsewhere so in the end I just reasoned that the top and bottom boards had to be connected at some points so armed with my multi meter and a bit of wire to poke through each hole I figured it out.

Using a combination of nino's jumper wires and mikes stitching suggestion I made sure they had continuity.
I did this one a little differently though, I found where two tracks overlapped each other and simply drilled a hole straight through the board, ran a piece of solid copper wire through and soldered both ends, this worked for three out of four jumpers and for the last one where there was no overlap I was lucky to find a corresponding holes so I used another piece of solid wire with some insulation borrowed from a piece of 8amp automotive cable to make the connection.

I had a problem on the back side of J1 at pin 8 where the copper track was missing altogether so I used another piece of solid copper wire to rebuild this, one end soldered to the bottom of the pin and the other through the adjacent hole soldered top and bottom. Hope it works, multi meter says I have continuity so should be good.
All I have to do now is solder the transformer wires back in and its almost go time.

Offline Skybeaux

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Central Coast / Newcastle
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2011, 06:34:45 PM »
Very nice work  ^^^

Offline deep six

• Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle NSW
    • ATC Heaven
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2011, 11:06:36 AM »
Getting real close now. I think I have to buy a new crimping tool, my old one does a pretty bad job of crimping the terminals, but then it was probably never meant for this job.

Just got a question, I have a couple of small white (nylon?) washers left over. Can't remember where these went, they do have a kind of star impression left in them which would suggest they maybe go under the earth lead terminals (Earth lead from trans to rec board mount plate) But that would seem to insulate the earth lead which doesn't sound right.

Washers in question are shown in pic sitting on top of transformer.

Offline Skybeaux

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Central Coast / Newcastle
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2011, 05:53:17 PM »
They go on the screws that go through the bridges to stop the screws shorting the tracks together.
You can see them in your before photo.

Offline deep six

• Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle NSW
    • ATC Heaven
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2011, 09:25:39 PM »
Oh Yeah, thanks Ken, guess I won't be needing those anymore.

Cheers Mate

Offline chris288

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2011, 12:07:26 AM »
Looking good so far.

Did you sand down and lacquer the transformer base board? It looks pretty spiffy ^^^

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2011, 04:58:24 AM »
Looking good so far.

Did you sand down and lacquer the transformer base board? It looks pretty spiffy ^^^
+1 on the lacquer
You don,t want all that shiny copper tarnishing.
make sure you use the solder through type lacquer.

On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline deep six

• Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle NSW
    • ATC Heaven
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2011, 05:20:20 PM »
Yep, I sanded down the plank and at the same time I was lacquering a piece of wood so I thought hmmm, that might look OK on the plank,
Thanks Beaky on the circuit board lacquer. I bought a tin of this stuff from Jaycar a while back but then I got to thinking, if I lacquer the circuit board, and then I find I have stuffed up somewhere it would make it hard to re-solder any components.
When you mentioned solder through lacquer I grabbed the tin and read the description and sure enough it is rated as solder through.
I never knew there was such a thing.

Cheers

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2011, 06:27:25 PM »
Yep, I sanded down the plank and at the same time I was lacquering a piece of wood so I thought hmmm, that might look OK on the plank,
Thanks Beaky on the circuit board lacquer. I bought a tin of this stuff from Jaycar a while back but then I got to thinking, if I lacquer the circuit board, and then I find I have stuffed up somewhere it would make it hard to re-solder any components.
When you mentioned solder through lacquer I grabbed the tin and read the de******ion and sure enough it is rated as solder through.
I never knew there was such a thing.

Cheers
no probs, glad i could help.

the board is looking great by the way.
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2011, 11:00:56 AM »

That's some very nice work indeed !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline deep six

• Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle NSW
    • ATC Heaven
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2011, 10:24:31 AM »
Thanks nino, but really, you inspired me, when I read your post on how to rebuild the rec board I wanted to get mine looking as nice as yours,
I only hope the damn thing works now after all this effort.
A big thanks to everyone on this board as well who have followed my project and offered helpful comments on the way. I probably wouldn't have tackled this otherwise