Author Topic: How to fix peeling insert's decals?  (Read 510 times)

Offline Tensikka

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Finland, Europe
How to fix peeling insert's decals?
« on: July 15, 2011, 06:41:17 PM »
Hi,

I'm doing in-depth cleaning to my Theatre of Magic. Playfield was covered fully by mylar and now when I have removed it, it's obvious that some inserts needs some TLC. Here is one example (don't mind that residue in top of playfield, that's only Mylar's glue, it's gone by now):

As you can see, corners of insert are detached from plastic insert. Actually in this case, diamond plate is intact, so it's not craked (at least fully), but in most cases there is a rip in edge of insert. My plan was:

- level inserts (most are little bit up)
- re-attach those peeling parts (inject superglue/CC under grapichs)
- CC whole playfield

Only problem is that what kind of adhesive should I use in second step? My plan was to use 2K Urethane Clear Coat in spraycan to finish the surface but Im afraid that if I use some basic superglue, it will react somehow with CC. So any opinions or experiences would be really appreciate! Sorry for my grammar, this is not my native language, hope you'll get my point :)

Offline ///

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth WA
Re: How to fix peeling insert's decals?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 07:00:02 PM »
Sorry for my grammar, this is not my native language, hope you'll get my point :)

Mate, your English, spelling, grammar and punctuation is far better than most english speaking people! Do not worry about it ;)
Sorry, I am unable to help you with your problem(I am new to this).

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 10:44:28 PM »
Once the screen print has separated from the insert, I don't believe there is any way to fix it.

I would suggest at best to see if an insert decal kit is available for TOM, completely remove whats left, remove the insert, wet sand level and refit.  Replace with decal sticker and 2K clear over the top.

Offline Tensikka

• Forum Posts:
  • Finland, Europe
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2011, 12:07:14 AM »
Thanks for tips, this was the response I was afraid off. That job seems to be quite straight forward on those clear inserts but there is some cracking on those yellow based mode-inserts (tiger saw etc), between sllingshots. So some patents must apply here and I'll think that I'll try some on those few clear inserts also. Maybe I'll just cut that peeled part out before clearcoat. This way colour of insert should be quite same after clearcoat and no loose parts of graphics are left under new CC. But let's see how things will come up...