Author Topic: Painting Garage Floor - Whats Good To Use??  (Read 266 times)

Offline Jango

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Painting Garage Floor - Whats Good To Use??
« on: July 23, 2011, 10:59:42 AM »
Hi Guys
I want to paint the concrete slab in my garage in Spring when it warms up a little.  It is quite a few marks and despite using a high pressure water cleaner, it just looks like crap.  I want a glossy light grey colour (just like the colour in El_Timbo's workshop floor).  I was thinking of perhaps using a coloured sealer (all in one colour with a sealer built in) and roll / brush it on.  I need something that's not going to peel off in 18months if I need to wash the garage out with my Karcher.  I am not planning on etching the concrete floor at all so just wanted to do a heavy clean and then apply paint 24hours later etc. 

Was wondering if anyone else has experience with this and what is a very good heavy duty product to use.  Perhaps others have given their garage the treatment as their games room etc.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Regards

Offline chris288

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Painting Garage Floor - Whats Good To Use??
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 12:54:25 PM »
I am a roof painter, I get asked this all the time - "what can I use to paint my driveway, front path , garage etc."

Its always best to high pressure clean it first, if thats too tricky then use hydrochloric acid ( get at Bunnings) diluted down with water and use a good stiff broom ( and wear a pair of goggles ) to clean the concrete then rinse it off and let it dry really well ( can use a blower vac to speed up the drying).

As far as paint is concerned, most warehouses , workshops use that grey industrial coating, not sure who sells it over your way but ring around the phone book it wont be hard to find, or otherwise use good old Berger Jet Dry or something similar from Bunnings, White Knight is also another brand.

Use a roller on the end of a broom pole and use a brush for the cracks and gaps. Leave it to dry for a day or two and do another coat. I would say 2 x 4 litre cans would probably do 2 coats.
But definately use something that is oil based like an enamel ( wash up in turps ) it is much harder wearing and wont come off when you drive the car over it. Acrylic paInts wont last very long at all. And just keep in mind you may have to do it every 2 or 3 years depending on wear.

Dont do spray on paving it will cost a fortune, honestly it wont take all that long using a roller ( about $7 ) and chuck em away afterwards.

Offline 48

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 01:10:44 PM »
I think there is a problem if you are going to park a car on it regularly too.
The hot tyres cool down on the paint, and eventually when you drive off they take the paint with them.
Of course if you are not going to put cars in your garage this is not a problem.

A builder mate used a company that used some sort of epoxy and paint fleck, looked great and never failed that I saw,
one I know of has lasted about 8 years now and no deterioration.
This mob originated in QLD some of the guys up there may have seen their work.

You get what you pay for though, the quote for a 3 car garage was around $3K.

Also bear in mind whatever you choose if it gets wet it is slippery as a butchers youknowwhat.
Check for something that is non-slip if possible.
Lets go Brandon!

Offline 48

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2011, 01:15:34 PM »
Found them, crap website but you will get the idea.

http://www.floormaestro.com.au/beforeandafter.html

Lets go Brandon!

Offline TSPP

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2011, 09:55:03 PM »
If your in Vic I can help you out. We manufacture these coatings specifically. I used what is called chlorinated rubber. Had it down for three years with no problems.

Drop me a pm and I'll look after you, it's cheap btw, and you won't need much.

Whatever you do, don't use that Berger crap.
.....something witty here

Offline Jango

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011, 12:26:34 PM »
PM sent mate

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 01:11:41 AM »
I have had experience doing garage floors etc before.

HEALTH WARNING  - read the instructions and wear the CORRECT face mask or you will get very very very sick cause the fumes are leathal. I can speak from experience cause I thought i would be like superman and not read the instructions about the nasty chemicals and I found myself in hospital very very unwell a few years back.

Make sure you let no-one watch you painting, not even for 5 minutes without thye correct face mask.  ^^^ Hope It helps.  ^^^ ^^^
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !