Author Topic: SYS11 B&C power supply, AUX, and interface PCB overhaul (corrosion damage)  (Read 3173 times)

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
Hi people

One of my current board overhaul / restoration jobs ATM is a set of boards from a WMS system 11C that have had moisture / water damage.

Let's start with the power supply.
As part of my power supply rebuilds is a mandatory +5volt, high voltage section rebuild and replace all capacitors (electro & ceramic) I had to go a little further with this pwr supp

The only way to remove all signs of corrosion is to totally strip the board to nothing and start the treatment.

Lets have a look at the strip down.

All components except the large heat sink are removed and thrown out.

The parts side doesn't look to bad until you start pulling it down.
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
On the solder side there was a lot of corrosion under the solder mask so that will have to be removed to ensure it doesn't proceed further.

On the parts side there are a few small spots that needed attention
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
next step is to remove the solder side mask and the areas on the parts side mask that have corrosion.

then seal them both with a clear lacquer.

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
We will get back to the power supply after i have taken some more photos.

next in line is the interface board

some rust from the screws had to be removed plus 95% of parts had corrosion on the legs so the same treatment applies.

I lost the photos of the corrosion on the legs so I have just shown the stripped board.

I have only sealed the top of the pcb at this stage as there is no bare copper to worry about

they look fine now but they were nearly as bad as the power supply before i started.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 01:27:06 AM by beaky »

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
then we have the aux driver board.

again it had corroded legs on most of the components so the same process applies

Stay tuned for more updates on these boards.

Offline ajlaird

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
Pretty big job this one!

How do you remove the solder mask?

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Pretty big job this one!

+1

Great job Andrew - Very time consuming but rewarding process.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
Pretty big job this one!

+1

Great job Andrew - Very time consuming but rewarding process.
I remove the solder mask with very fine wet & dry sand paper, metho and steel wool.
once i get rid of most of the mask with the sand paper I then use the steel wool to do the rest.

By using a ball of steel wool it enables me to remove the pitted corrosion areas with out removing to much copper.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
I am lucky enough to see Andrew (Beaky) working on all these different boards he is recieving from members from all over the country. If u have sent/or are thinking about sending your Boards to Andy for a professional overhaul, you are in very experienced hands. After 20 years, Andrew is a expert on most boards, from most machines.

To say he is very thorough is a understatement. There is nothing the man cant fix, and he makes these things look like brand new with the special lacquer and after the many by many new parts are replaced and tested. The amount of special tools and various expensive equipment Andy has to do all this would make ya head spin.

Well done on the amount of care and effort you put into helping out alot of the Aussie Pinball members with these board restorations.  ^^^
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
Well done indeed - I'm too lazy to go to so much trouble, that's why I don't repair boards  <.> I prefer to make new ones......
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline millsy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra
  • pinballaustralia.com
    • Pinball Australia
Top job  ^^^
Looks familiar   *%*
Seriously, Andrew is doing a great repair on these boards (Yes I think they are my Pool Sharks boards), keeps me updated and a pleasure to deal with.  @@*
Kev
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 07:43:26 PM by millsy »
pinballaustralia.com

Offline ajlaird

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
Well done indeed - I'm too lazy to go to so much trouble, that's why I don't repair boards  <.> I prefer to make new ones......

Both ways are good! Keeping old boards alive and producing new ones both help our hobby.