Author Topic: Headbox & Reel units in my Williams EM Winner- NICE! (VERY picture heavy)  (Read 429 times)

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
So the chipboard parts of the headbox had swollen and had scratched the backglass :x I pulled and chipped them all away and cut some new ones from MDF:

All new ones screwed in place:

Then a quick coat of flat white undercoat:

OK - I got stuck into the reel units after that and removed each one (one at a time) and stripped it down to wash all parts. I used Shellite - seems to work well removing the years of gunge.

I downloaded and printed up new reel 'number' strips from Peters excellent site here http://www.pinballrebel.com/pinball/cards/

I laser printed them and then laminated them using a very thin hot laminate pouch. After cutting to size with a sharp knife and steel ruler I applied 3M 'glue only' type tape - it is amazingly sticky and VERY thin (no foam or paper backing at all - just the glue).

I scrubbed up the reels with toothpaste and let them dry then applied the new number strips. Here is a reel before and after with a strip showing the tape on the back:

After pulling down the two reel units on the left I found that the printed circuit board 'switch' was badly pitted and the contact didn't make reliable contact. Partly due to wear and partly to mis-alignment from new as far as I could tell? Picture here shows the pitting in the copper tracks:

I decided to whip up some new boards because I didn't have anything better to do :lol I scanned one of the original PCBs and imported it into Corel Draw - I figured that this is never going to be a board I will produce to sell so I could just freehand draw it up for my own use:

Here the yellow arrows point to the pitting and the blue arrow shows where I modified the PCB tracks to make them wider:

Here is a piece of sensitised PCB material being exposed and the picture under it shows the original board and the five new ones I made:

I didn't have any rivets/eyelets like the original board uses for strength on the board edge so I decided to drill a couple of holes close together and join them - wrap some tinned copper wire around and solder it: (if anyone knows where these eyelets can be bought please let me know)

I put a very thin smear of silicone grease on the wiping contacts (yes, I know it will attract dirt but better than corroding)

Started the re-assemble:

Checked the contact wipers - PERFECT!

The coils looked REALLY daggy so I checked Peters site for new wrappers for them - no go, so I emailed Peter and he asked for scans of the wrappers I needed and the width of them - I sent him this scan:

Not more than two days later I received six files back to suit all the wrappers in the machine both in the correct background colour and also just the black outline - here is the reel coil wrapper:

I chose to print the black version onto blue paper. I have to say it is simply AMAZING the difference these make to the visual appearance of the machine.

OK - finished the new coil wrappers & reel numbers AND fitted the new PCB - here is a finished assembly:

and from the front how good does it all look (notice the left hand reel is original and the next to be done):

I'm just about up to the worst part of this rebuild - the playfield - here it is in its current state - - -

:unsure:headbuttwall: That is for another day..........
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline goodolddays

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
Great work Mike . Reels look excellent now  ^^^
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
Does look fantastic - well worth the effort put in.

Offline Inkochnito

• Forum Posts:
  • Piershil Netherlands
    • Inkochnito's Pinball score and instruction cards
Nice to see the result of my files.
Looks very very good!  ()
Anything you need, just ask.

www.inkochnito.nl
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 06:46:56 AM by Inkochnito »

Offline oldpins

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane North QLD
    • oldpinballs.com
Like you work, that is excellent  ^^^

Offline Redback

• Forum Posts:
Excellent work Mike,

Just as I've come to expect from you.

Thanks for sharing,

Red
Found hobby, now need coin

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
Great stuff Mike... looks real good.
Now then... the rivets.. im pretty sure that PBR have these as i seem to remember Nino telling me

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Great stuff Mike... looks real good.
Now then... the rivets.. im pretty sure that PBR have these as i seem to remember Nino telling me

Rivets - Yes - Eyelets - I don't know, but I can find a part number and advise ?

Hey Mike - That looks great. I watching this restore closely as I love this game and one day I hope to find Winner, Planets and Zodiac to add to my personal collection. Very cool and unusual titles. The coil wrappers look awesome !

This will be one sweet game when finished !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
Very nice work mate  ^^^