Author Topic: Thanks Mike!! Gottlieb System 80 Sound/Speech Board Amp Replacement  (Read 260 times)

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
Big thanks to Mike Homepin for sending me free his System 80 Sound/Speech Board Amp Replacement.

This is the unit, which comes with a mini CD carrying the instructions, which are extremely easy to follow -

“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
Mike had sent this over when my board was apparently dead, but I found the faults and it turned out the amp was not the issue.

The problem with the amp used on this board is that the chip is not available easily (I found one in the UK for $20.00, so grabbed it). The boards themselves complete are just as hard to find, and look at $200 US for a working one.

Well after the success the first time, I turned on the game a few weeks ago to no sound.

While looking it over, the very large heatsink on the amp chip broke off (I swear I was careful!!) so rather than fool around with it, I decided to install the one Mike had sent previously.

It comers with a replacement cap for c33, which is in a 30 volt circuit, but is rated at 25 volts. It was actually this that was originally dead on my board, so when I got Mike's kit I installed that first, and out of curiosity tried the board and it worked - it was that cap.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
Turns out the further fault with my board was another chip in the pre-amp stage, so with that sorted, I got to try out Mike's amp replacement.

Well it works a treat, and I am sure Mike will have a ready marked for these if he decides to promote them.

Thanks again Mike!!

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
Great to see that it worked out for you. Based on that feedback I have tweaked the PCB artwork and sent the files off to the PCB fabrication house.

I should have finished product available in about a month.

Thanks for testing the prototype.

Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals