Author Topic: Made some new playfield plastics today  (Read 296 times)

Offline deep six

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle NSW
    • ATC Heaven
Made some new playfield plastics today
« on: October 17, 2011, 09:17:16 PM »
One thing that was bugging me about my stern galaxy was the broken lower lane plastics. Someone had driven a couple of nails into the playfield in the past where the plastic was missing. Trouble is the ball kept getting stuck between the flipper and the nail.

Been wanting to fix this for a while now but finally decided to do something about it.
I pulled one of he plastics off and stuck it in the scanner. Brought the image into my drawing app and sat there for about an hour and a half hand drawing the graphic. Was pretty painful as there were a lot of small details, especially for such a small piece of plastic. I only drew the one side as I figured I would just reverse it for the left side.

I noted the image was screen printed on the bottom side of the plastic so even though I could just print out an image on white vinyl and stick it on top of the plastic it just wouldn't be right. I decided to print the image on clear vinyl, then flip it so when I applied the decal to the under side of the plastic it would show through correctly.

Once printing out the decals ( and it helps that I have a vinyl printer) the only thing that remained was to grab some perspex and cut it to size.

On the way home from work I called in at a local plastics supply store, they have a scrap bin with various size offcuts so it was a simple matter of finding a nice sized piece of scrap and I was out of there.
The piece I found was a couple of mil thicker than my sample but I figured the extra thickness could only be a good thing since it would be less prone to warpage and cracking.
Got it home, traced out the profile from the broken piece, adding a little extra to account for the missing broken bit and bobs yer uncle.

Luckily the two plastics were the same shape so it saved me on scanning and drawing to seperate decals. I simply used the first decal and flipped it. Its not quite correct as the left side artwork is different to the right but I didn't fancy another hour and a half drawing up a second decal.

When I applied the decals to the underside of the plastic I noted they were too transparent, so I added a layer of plain white under the decal to back up.
I didn't cut the new plastics out exactly to size so the is a little white showing trough from the underside from where the decal ends but all in all I was pretty happy for a first attempt. I can easily pull the plastics off and trim them down a little.

I now have the file saved for the decals so if anyone has a Galaxy and wants to make some new lane plastics I can print these out and post them.

Cheers
"Wanted" Snappy signature, please insert here......

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
Re: Made some new playfield plastics today
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 09:46:38 PM »
They look GREAT! Well done.
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 09:47:56 PM »
Good effort. Things used to be a little easier not that long ago where there was a website with scans of complete plastics for various games. I used to copy these scan for plastics I needed. I would spray white on the back of my decals and then cut them out and install on the Perspex.
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 10:08:29 PM »
Yes VERY well done!! looks really good  ^^^

I use polycarbonate plastic for making pf plastics, its a bit more durable and less brittle than perspex, but you've used thicker than original material so you should be ok. Anyway you have the artwork saved so you've nothing to worry about, you can easily make more if you need to  #*#

These plastics are often cracked or broken on this title, I've got my eye on a Galaxy that has these plastics broken, which i may have the opportunity to buy soon #@# #@# #@#

Offline ajlaird

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 12:22:25 AM »
Good job, not too many people are going to notice if the decal is not quite right anyway! Much better than a broken plastic.

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 02:48:23 AM »
I like Harry's signature on the playfield

.... ohh, your plastic looks good too  %.%

Offline deep six

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle NSW
    • ATC Heaven
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 04:58:51 PM »
Thanks guys for the kind remarks, Now I think I should do these again and get them spot on, scan the left side and draw it too.
But that is my downfall, I'm never happy with what I do so I end up getting in too deep and never finishing anything, for example my wifes 82 Pontiac which is sitting in the garage almost finished but not quite.

PG, is there a chance someone has archived the files of the scanned playfield plastics, I did read somewhere that these were taken down due to copyright issues which is a real shame.

Mitch, the plastics store I went to said the same thing about poly-carbonate, in that it was stronger and less brittle. They would have sold me a piece of this but there was none in the scrap bin and they have a minimum cut charge of $10, plus whatever the plastic is worth I imagine so I just decided to play with the scrap bit I got, I figured it only cost $5 so couldn't go too far wrong.
And no probs with the decals for your prospective Galaxy, I will gladly print you out a set and post them to you. just PM me when you are ready.

Cheers all
"Wanted" Snappy signature, please insert here......

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 09:59:25 AM »
Mitch, the plastics store I went to said the same thing about poly-carbonate, in that it was stronger and less brittle. They would have sold me a piece of this but there was none in the scrap bin and they have a minimum cut charge of $10, plus whatever the plastic is worth I imagine so I just decided to play with the scrap bit I got, I figured it only cost $5 so couldn't go too far wrong.
And no probs with the decals for your prospective Galaxy, I will gladly print you out a set and post them to you. just PM me when you are ready.

Cheers all

Cool thanks for the offer  ^^^ will definitely keep it in mind, and contact you if i end up getting it  *%*

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011, 10:47:38 AM »

for example my wifes 82 Pontiac which is sitting in the garage almost finished but not quite.

Hopefully not since '82....

Great job with the plastics!!
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”