Author Topic: Godzilla - Custom Pinball by Charlie from Spooky Pinball Podcast  (Read 1912 times)

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
I have been listening to all of the Spooky Pinball podcasts over the last few weeks (still have a few early ones to go). Charlie the host loves his horror themed pinballs and his podcasts are quite interesting as he gets to chat to alot of well knowns in the industry. His most recent podcast (no:19) actually mentioned a custom Godzilla which is a Firepower 2 rebirth which maybe he mentioned earlier but I didn't link that this was a custom job - and he did because the playfield was flogged so no machines were injured in the process. I emailed him and he is a very friendly guy and he sent me a few pictures as I always find what the little guy does when doing a 1 off custom pinball compared to the big companies that spend many many thousands on developing a game.

He shared with me 4 photos which I am sure he won't mind sharing with you all.

He is doing a chat at the next pinball expo I think in Chicago on custom pinballs which I am sure will be part of the next podcast. He has mentioned that he is working on a number 2 custom pinball and must say he has a very supportive family with 20 odd games in his cellar / games room.

Tune in to the show if you haven't yet as it is a good listen.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 09:57:10 PM by swinks »
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
I have listened to all his podcasts they are pretty good.
He used to have a vid up on his website of the Godzilla custom game, he has done a great job on the game, certainly helps that he is a signwriter and has access to some fantastic printing gear  *%*
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 09:18:31 PM by ktm450 »

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
Here is a short vid of this machine

for pinball t-shirts

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
Have been emailing Charlie about this machine out of curiosity, mainly how did he do the graphics on the playfield as that is normally one big challenge. This is what he had to say.

"Godzilla was printed directly on the playfield, then coated with water based Varathane. I will warn you that it takes an insanely high end press to accomplish this (translation: really expensive) unless you work in the print industry or know somebody, it might not be cost effective. I'm lucky that's my day job! :-)

Ben Heck did his Bill Paxton game with a vinyl decal with a nice glossy laminate. This is a much more affordable option really. I'd recommend 3M micro comply (IJ180C). There are 2 flavors of that vinyl, a big channel you'll see, and one you won't... do not wet apply that stuff! Air works out by itself with dry application.

Hope that helps.

Charlie"

for pinball t-shirts