Author Topic: My new toy, mmmmm  (Read 531 times)

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
My new toy, mmmmm
« on: October 24, 2011, 03:30:38 PM »
I have been into coffee for a long time, lashed out a bought a great little espresso machine for home a little while back, a Rancilio Silvia.   It is fantastic having great coffee whenever I want, I've been enjoying trying out a lot of different single origin coffees and comparing thier characteristics, it is very much like good wines different regions and growing conditions alter subtle flavors and aromas.

Mmmmmm YUM!

A bit of hack latte art, still practicing :)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 01:12:13 PM by ktm450 »

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
Re: My new toy, mmmmm
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 03:38:56 PM »
Nice set up! We like our coffee too, recently bought one of these. Not as elaborate but pretty happy with the results.

Shout ya one next time you're around!

“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline ktm450

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 04:27:51 PM »
Sounds good mate! Breville has been putting a lot of research into their new machines and have had great reviews.
If you are after great quality beans locally Andy from coffeesnobs.com.au is out at North Geelong he is the biggest roaster and supplier of small batch roasted and greens in Australia.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 04:37:15 PM »
KTM, how much are they worth ?

Nick, whats your Breville one worth ?

might be worth looking into buying one. they both look very flash, and you have got the picture in the froth good already !  ^^^ (see if u can make a pinball machine in the froth, that will be ya next challenge.lol
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 05:29:20 PM »

Andy from coffeesnobs.com.au is out at North Geelong he is the biggest roaster and supplier of small batch roasted and greens in Australia.

And he has three pinball machines believe it or not!! He's actually a client of mine as well, although my wife buys our coffee from Origin. Not sure why. Andy actually joined the forum a while back but I don't think he has ever posted.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 06:17:23 PM »
Nice one Matt and the breville ones are great aswell.    We actually had a bit of a win with our sunbeam machine mentioned to my old lady that we were looking intO buying one and they gave us one that someone wouldn't accept as a gift.  WINNER

I make lattes at work and apparently I make the best (at our work). But you don't get any of that fancy stuff like yours matt well done

Offline ktm450

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 06:21:00 PM »
KTM, how much are they worth ?

might be worth looking into buying one. they both look very flash, and you have got the picture in the froth good already !  ^^^ (see if u can make a pinball machine in the froth, that will be ya next challenge.lol

Most important thing is a good quality grinder, Breville has recently brought out a fantastic entry level model called a smart grinder I got mine for about $215 it comes with a 2 year warranty.
The machine was about 3 months old and cost me $660 with the PID controller already installed, the PID controls the temp at the top of the boiler so you get the perfect temp at the brew head when you pull a shot.
Breville have just released a dual boiler unit (pull espresso shot and steam milk simultaniously) which is getting great reviews it is easier to use but costs a few more bucks (~$1500).
Silvia are widely regarded worldwide as the best entry level espresso machine available, comercial quality parts in a domestic machine, can pull amazing shots but are quite finicky to use without a PID controller
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 10:11:15 PM by ktm450 »

Offline ktm450

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2011, 06:22:09 PM »

Andy from coffeesnobs.com.au is out at North Geelong he is the biggest roaster and supplier of small batch roasted and greens in Australia.

And he has three pinball machines believe it or not!! He's actually a client of mine as well, although my wife buys our coffee from Origin. Not sure why. Andy actually joined the forum a while back but I don't think he has ever posted.

That is cool, I never knew that, I will have to ask him about them when I see him next.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2011, 07:57:06 PM »

I think the retail is close to $900 on sticker price, we paid something under $700.

Unlike Matt's it has a built in grinder. Some say not a good idea as the grinder can fail, I figure I'll get a separate one then if need be.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2011, 08:56:48 AM »

I've grown up next in the old "wog coffee shops", so I've enjoyed a good coffee all my life. I miss the aroma of a "real coffee", especially Cappuccino. Lucky for me, I've always had a cafetiera in the house. A 2 cup, a 6 cup and an 8 cup.

These coffee machines are a brilliant idea. Not cheap, but you can't drink GOOD coffee any other way !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2011, 09:18:06 AM »

I've always had a cafetiera in the house. A 2 cup, a 6 cup and an 8 cup.

Me too, my wife introduced me to them many years ago, the biggest one we have is massive!

Here's the whole family......

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2011, 09:49:06 AM »
What the hell are those thing? And how do they work?

Offline ktm450

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2011, 12:06:30 PM »
What the hell are those thing? And how do they work?

Stovetop or moka pot, here is a link to the best way to use one:

http://stumptowncoffee.com/guide/moka-pot/

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2011, 12:13:31 PM »
Thanks matt there pretty cool thanks for the link

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2011, 12:54:15 PM »
Thanks matt there pretty cool thanks for the link

They make a decent cuppa, better than instant, not as good as a machine which makes higher pressure than these make.