Author Topic: Alpha Update 02.04.09  (Read 1888 times)

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Usa
    • Big Guys Pinball
Alpha Update 02.04.09
« on: February 05, 2009, 11:47:42 AM »
Not much to report which is good.  I've been cleaning up the code for the last month.  I've cleaned out a lot of test code, things that aren't used anymore, and I've even squeezed a tad more performance out.  Don finished the hardware designs and boards should be here soon.  One thing fun I did, and am continuing to do today is a stress test of the system.  I start Nucore, run the game for a short bit, exit and repeat.   I added a test mode so I can do this infinitely.  I had done about 400 iterations as of 4:00pm today.  By tomorrow I will hopefully have done a couple of thousand.  This is really just to test long term reliability of the software.  I think we will probably start the beta phase in a week or two.

Offline Creech

• Forum Founder
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
Re: Alpha Update 02.04.09
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 12:24:11 PM »
Sounds good Chuck. When you say iterations, what does each iteration do? Does it run through all the modes?

Offline Chuck

• Forum Posts:
  • Usa
    • Big Guys Pinball
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 01:31:10 PM »
An iteration is loading the roms, setting up the emulator, running the game for a short period, and then shutting down which also updates files.  It's really testing our code to make sure we write files properly and keep track of everything properly on a long-term basis.  The Alpha testers and I have let the game run for days without shutting it off and had no problems.  I wanted to make sure no problems would creep up after a few thousand plays.

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 06:57:38 PM »
An iteration is loading the roms, setting up the emulator, running the game for a short period, and then shutting down which also updates files.  It's really testing our code to make sure we write files properly and keep track of everything properly on a long-term basis.  The Alpha testers and I have let the game run for days without shutting it off and had no problems.  I wanted to make sure no problems would creep up after a few thousand plays.

Good solid thinking there - it's a pity MS don't try the same!!

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 10:08:16 PM »
I keep saying it Chuck, but the work you are doing to keep the P2K range alive is simply outstanding mate.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Chuck

• Forum Posts:
  • Usa
    • Big Guys Pinball
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 02:54:57 AM »
3849 iterations and not one problem.  I had to stop it because it was still running.

Thanks Nick, we really appreciate the support.

Offline Creech

• Forum Founder
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009, 08:51:27 AM »
Well done Chuck! So what are shooting for as a go-live date?

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2009, 12:32:30 PM »
3849 iterations and not one problem.  I had to stop it because it was still running.

Thanks Nick, we really appreciate the support.

Of course, in my experience the failure is usually at iteration 3,850 .....
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2009, 07:52:52 PM »

Good solid thinking there - it's a pity MS don't try the same!!

Probably poor form to quote myself - but just recovered from Vista crashing out. I can still read the disk all my data is on, but it stopped booting up properly, then from logging in properly. Ended up reinstalling on a new disk.

Your software sounds so much better!