Author Topic: Refinishing GOLD parts - Yes or No ?  (Read 1906 times)

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Re: Refinishing GOLD parts - Yes or No ?
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2011, 06:27:19 PM »
I would be confident if I painted the ramp in 2k and cleared it would hold up no probs.

The crap in a can no chance

Offline Olivia_jason

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2011, 06:33:41 PM »
The ramps cop a fair hiding on wcs. The ball is fired up ramp pretty fast and hard. It wouldn't take long to chip up 2k

Offline Olivia_jason

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2011, 06:39:16 PM »
But all this begs the question as to why a PF that is painted and then cleared holds up well, but for some reason its not applicable for a ramp?

2 pac clear is bloody hard wearing stuff.. so is 1K for that
because wood is more poorous than metal, the bond on the play field is better than it would be over clearing over a smooth chrome surface.
i think plating is the only answer in this case. the original was just done poorly.
plating would also be the cheapest option also, and the best.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 06:58:27 PM by Olivia_jason »

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2011, 07:33:22 PM »
On the subject if any one is after a World Cup Soccor 94 gold flavoured wire ramp 12-7185.2, I have a NOS. PM me if after one at a reasonable price.
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline Olivia_jason

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2011, 07:50:19 PM »
On the subject if any one is after a World Cup Soccor 94 gold flavoured wire ramp 12-7185.2, I have a NOS. PM me if after one at a reasonable price.

if its good ill be interested, if its not already taken

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2011, 08:11:27 PM »
You have got dibs, the ramp is like this one and is mint. Will have a look tomorrow to confirm quality.
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2011, 08:16:07 PM »
But all this begs the question as to why a PF that is painted and then cleared holds up well, but for some reason its not applicable for a ramp?

because wood is more poorous than metal, the bond on the play field is better than it would be over clearing over a smooth chrome surface.
i think plating is the only answer in this case. the original was just done poorly.

Any surface that is to be painted has to be roughed anyway by scratching it plus 2K primer is an etch primer that bites into the surface.. healthy coat of this.. then 2K then 2K clear, id be willing to say would hold up.
Lets be honest.. the original gold coating doesnt hold up forever does it or we wouldnt be having this discussion

Offline Olivia_jason

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2011, 08:36:02 PM »

Any surface that is to be painted has to be roughed anyway by scratching it plus 2K primer is an etch primer that bites into the surface.. healthy coat of this.. then 2K then 2K clear, id be willing to say would hold up.
Lets be honest.. the original gold coating doesnt hold up forever does it or we wouldnt be having this discussion
your right, but the gold is done very poorly, if it was done right it should never come off, difference between plating and painting the plating bonds on a molecular level rather than just finding groves in the metal to bond too like paint does, whilst i would say 2k could do ok on some parts of the ramp, places i would be concerned about is where the ball is shot up and caught in the ramp and then runs down, it does get shot up with a fair bit of force.enough to shake the screws out i have found, i guess then the option would be not paint the inside where the ball shoots up on the ramp? but even still electroplating is cheap as chips, it wouldn't cost more than $30 to replate those parts, esp the coin toss essay, its no bigger than a pair of shock tower ends on ford, which cost me $15 to get chromed, and the prep in painting it would be allot of work imo for not as long lasting. it is a shame they plated them so poorly, its almost like it was an afterthought
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 08:46:09 PM by Olivia_jason »

Offline Olivia_jason

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2011, 08:40:55 PM »
You have got dibs, the ramp is like this one and is mint. Will have a look tomorrow to confirm quality.

awesome mate, that should be great, although the chrome looks good without the gold, i did have to do a few tack welds in a few places on my ramp as it had broken in one or two places, not that noticeable but a new one is better again, cheers

Offline pinsanity

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2011, 09:51:57 PM »
I have had a number of pieces genuine gold plated in a variety of finishes (brushed to high polished) and if you are using genuine 23ct gold to plate (the rich lustre gold) it will not be cheap (you are paying for the gold as a "precious metal").

Whilst ramps and other small surface area pieces are not too costly, when it comes to pieces such as lockdown bars, siderails (and in your case the WCS coin toss assembly) you will find that due to the surface area that needs to be plated it could become an expensive exercise (if using genuine gold).

Having said that once plated the pieces can then be coated in a 2pac clearcoat (or e-coat as my plater calls it) for protection and as the electroplater I use assures me, that they will be "good for years" even with a metal ball/sweaty hands running over them.

Some pics to give you an idea of final results:

Closeup of the high polished finish:

Anything can be gold plated even a piece of resin.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 09:25:21 AM by pinsanity »

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2011, 09:59:43 PM »
Man that gold plating looks sexy as.   I've always been curious how real gold Plating holds up to pinball abuse

Offline Olivia_jason

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2011, 10:42:30 PM »
wow, that would certainly add some value to your machine, thats very cool

Offline necroscope

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Romsey Vic
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2011, 08:37:00 AM »
That gold plating looks awesome,the real deal,You can also have a much  cheaper gold look apparently what the platers do is flash the plating with chromium.Do the back-yard nickel baths use different chems or do they just plate nickel.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2011, 11:23:40 AM »
That gold plating looks awesome,the real deal,You can also have a much  cheaper gold look apparently what the platers do is flash the plating with chromium.Do the back-yard nickel baths use different chems or do they just plate nickel.

My Nickel and plating kit are only suitable for small baths. This part is just too big.

I think "gold plating" is an interesting idea, I could do the habittrail at the same time. How expensive is it ?
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline necroscope

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Romsey Vic
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2011, 12:01:40 PM »

Found the answer to my own question http://www.caswellplating.com.au/store/store.php/products/yellow-chromate-concentrate---cadmium-look