Author Topic: Electronic Parts Supplier - RS Components  (Read 5661 times)

Offline Pintoxicated

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
Electronic Parts Supplier - RS Components
« on: October 27, 2011, 01:45:01 PM »
Guys,

I stumbled across a components supplier yesterday and thought I'd give them a crack.  Reasonable prices and free next day delivery if ordered online.  I was somewhat sceptical living in a rural area but a courier arrived this morning with my order that I placed yesterday afternoon.  Very impressed and happy with the whole transaction.  I only ordered 4 components at a total cost of $7.28 and they honoured the free delivery Aust. wide.

They are called RS Components Pty Ltd    www.rsaustralia.com
Definitely worth a look if your regular supplier doesn't have what you need or you are looking for other options. 
Addicted to pins.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
Re: Electronic Parts Supplier - RS Components
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 02:02:10 PM »
+1 - I used them in the past (been a long time though) but they were quick.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline goodolddays

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 02:11:15 PM »
Yep .. I've used them before .. very fast delivery and usually good prices .. never thought to mention them on here
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 02:38:42 PM »
Iv'e used them for donkeys years BUT they are the dearest place on earth for electronic components. If I were to buy all my parts from them for the boards I make the price would have to go up by at least 100%.
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline chris288

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 02:48:51 PM »
Years ago I worked for a local well known electronic parts supplier and if we didn't have the part that the customer wanted we would refer them to RS components.

They used to have a catalogue that was over an inch thick that contained all the data and specs on a particular component which was streets ahead of Dick Smith Jaycar Altronics and Tandy. Now of course its all on CD Rom or a website as the cost of producing it was so high.

The only complaints I ever heard about RS was their very high costs but when you consider that their components are usually much higher quality and even sometimes military spec then sometimes its worth paying more for a better quality components, but having said that in this day and age I think their components now are cheaper than they once were.

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 02:54:23 PM »

They used to have a catalogue that was over an inch thick that contained all the data and specs on a particular component which was streets ahead of Dick Smith Jaycar Altronics and Tandy. Now of course its all on CD Rom or a website as the cost of producing it was so high.

I have purchased a few parts from them over the years.
We use them at work as a supplier, they still have the thick catalogue only it is about 3" thick now  :lol

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 05:32:43 PM »
Yeh.. i carry the catalogue in my truck for some reason.. its bigger than the ever shrinking Yellow Pages!

Actually, come to think of it, i had a large blue book dropped off at my doorstep a few weeks back.. thought it was a new White pages directory.
It wasnt.. was a catalogue from JAMECO sent all the way from the states. It sat on my desk taking up room for a while before i chucked it unwrapped in the bin

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 07:56:06 PM »
I would also suggest giving Element14 a run (formally Farnell).  Very very competitive on some prices (ie like Fluke multimeter's, Weller soldering items etc) and also had free delivery (courier) from memory too.

Offline pulstar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 10:20:14 PM »
I buy from both RS and Element 14. They are expensive but if you are buying small quantities and want it fast, they are the way to go. I have found Element 14 to be the most reliable and professional. Order one day, it arrives the next... ive done this ten times in a row at least this year without a hickup. Minimum order is $10. Large range of parts... decent search function... and tons of components.