Author Topic: Odd jobs for my Williams Flash  (Read 418 times)

Offline spook

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane, QLD
Odd jobs for my Williams Flash
« on: November 06, 2011, 10:45:17 AM »
Well, I have had my Flash for several months now and have managed to find a little time since then (mostly in the last few weeks) to try my hand for the first time at some improvements.

The first thing I tackled was cleaning up the dull and partly rusty legs. I found some information that pointed me to using Ranex/steel wool/wet and dry/Autosol and it worked a treat. In my eagerness to get the job underway, I neglected to take before and after pics. However, I did find a recent pic that shows a little of how they have come up.

The next job to try was to see if I could clean up my lockdown bar a little. I used some 360 grit wet and dry first, going back and forth along the bar, to get some of the deeper scratches out. Then I used some 1200 wet and dry and repeated the process, regularly dipping both bar and paper in water to get the waste out. Once I was happy with the finish, I used some Autosol metal polish to finish it off. The result was more than pleasing.

Wanted: Another Williams Flash

Offline spook

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane, QLD
Re: Odd jobs for my Williams Flash
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 10:47:42 AM »
The drop target decals have taken a hammering over the years, and more recently, during some heavy playing on Grand Final weekend, the decals started to lift/separate from the targets. I found some artwork and had my first go at reproducing them on some self adhesive labels. I used Marbig Quick Laminate (from OfficeWorks) to cover the printed labels, which will hopefully provide some protection for the future. However, reproducing them shouldn't be a problem now that I have a master file.

Offline spook

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane, QLD
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 10:50:07 AM »
I also found Inkochnito's instruction and scorecard reproductions and thought it would be worth replacing the tattered examples on my game.

All in all, for only a small amount of effort, I think the results were extremely worthwhile and certainly make a huge difference to the look of the game. I now look forward to considering what's next .... and perhaps even biting off something a bit more challenging in the not too distant future.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 10:55:06 AM »

Great results. Sometimes it's the "little things" that make all the difference. Certainly, Inkochnito's cards are an improvement over the originals.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline faza

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 10:56:47 AM »
Big improvement well done

Offline goodolddays

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 11:17:16 AM »
Good stuff .. looks a lot better .. one day I will actually polish all my lockdown bars
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline Olivia_jason

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2011, 04:48:06 PM »
wow very nice mate. autosol is great stuff.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2011, 05:33:48 PM »
Nice work. I have a really nice Flash back glass here. Now all I need is the rest of the game!!
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”