Author Topic: NEW TITLE ADDED TO THE COLLECTION - CONGO BY WMS  (Read 734 times)

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
NEW TITLE ADDED TO THE COLLECTION - CONGO BY WMS
« on: November 12, 2011, 10:58:51 PM »
Luckily, I have added another title to the collection. CONGO by Williams 1995.

*The purchase*
A big thankyou to my good mate Martyn who lives 5 mins around the corner. Martyn scourced this machine for me from his Japaneese delivered machines. Between Mark C and Martyn, I have been able to add some great titles to my collection at very good prices. But the fun here is in the purchase. Whilst the dollars are important, having fun whilst buying a machine, and enjoying the friendship and company of the people you buy machines from is just as much fun.  ^^^ Buying a new pinny is like buying a car, you remember the people you have dealt with for a very long time with fond memories when the purchase experience is great.

The machine was too good to pass up. I always thought Congo was a Data East title for some reason but its a Williams title supporting the upgraded WPC 95 package.

*The Fun surprises*
The title/machine was built late 1995 and into 1996. There were 2129 machines made in total. What i liked about Congo, was the artwork on the playfield and translite and headbox sides. The dot-martrix displays of the ape espescially are crystal clear and exceptionally well done. The audio is t'riffic with many quotes from the movie, and many african animal noises added to the line up. The missions are many, and the aim of the game is to collect diamonds, and travel all over the African continent.

The bottom of the playfield near the flippers has a Indy Jones feel to it with the style and colours. As usual, the artwork for Williams is great. The machine has a third flipper which gets you into the mystery/mission hole. The machine has a large volcano on the top right, and is used to lock balls to get multi-ball. The other signifigant shot is to also get the ball up onto the Amy Gorilla which is top left on the playfield.

One of the biggest surprises on the game is the sunken 2nd under=playfield which has a angry gorilla which smashes/hits the ball from a left or right angle, hitting targets under the playfield. I note, that this is the exact same teardrop shaped playfield glass window used on Creature from the black Lagoon. It seems Williams may have been smart enough 4 yrs later to use the remaining Creature stock/blank playfields n teardrop glass to invent the fun and exciting Congo. Its a really nice touch.

The other fun thing is the many video modes on the game, including a river raft video mode I have found. There are others I havent seen yet but I am looking forward to finding more, including a few hidden features like "Midnight Madness Multiball" which this title has. I saw that on youtube and it was a real buzz.

*Whats next to do*
I will clean the machine, add a few LEDS and make sure everything is 100 percent. The machine is in very nice condition already. I will take some of my own photos this next 24 hrs, but have added the listing/sale photos for the interim. I will add a link to the I.P.D.B listing for anyone interested in checking it out. I will also add a copy of the factory promo brochure which gives some more info on this unusual and interesting title. Will add some more photos this next few days etc.

Thanks for reading. Link below for I.P.D.B   Also, click on any of the photos and they shld double in size.  ^^^
http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?any=congo&search=Search+Database&searchtype=quick#3780
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 11:01:29 PM by Caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline RottyGuy

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Forum Posts:
  • QLD
Re: NEW TITLE ADDED TO THE COLLECTION - CONGO BY WMS
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 11:03:39 PM »
I've never played this game, but nice looking cab.

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 11:05:24 PM »
Do you deal drug or something dude  ()
500 games in 2 years of collecting must be some sort of record  *)*

Seriously though, Congo is a great game, underated, some cool features the volcano is pretty cool when it erupts for multiball

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 11:20:52 PM »
Thanks KTM450. The $ secret is that I rarely drink (bourban n coke). I dont smoke. I dont gamble. I am a miser with my money and the only hobby I have is Pinball. Although I run my own security business, money hasnt been huge this last 12 months compared to the previous years, but its a combination of saving every cent, watching all costs and working hard like everyone else on here.    I do OK for a sole proprietor with only a few part time staff. Buying pins between the $2000 and $2500 money mark makes more sense compared to dropping 8 or 10 grand on a single title. Thats how I have got 30 plus titles in 3 years, I dont spend too much at a time.

One thing I want to add, is a HUGE THANKYOU to my good mate Andy(Beaky) who looks after my collection from a techy point of view. I met Andy thru the forum 3 yrs ago and he is a walking pinny encyclopedia. Its good to have a large variety of pins cause Andy often tests boards in my machines that he is working on so it works out really well. Between my enthusiasm and Andy's pinny knowledge, I have learnt a huge amount about Pinball and have added the pinny electronics knowledge to my Industry electronics knowledge to have a reasonable grounding. Again, Thanks to Andy for his friendship and backup support. It is well appreciated.

Half of the fun with Pinball is sharing this stuff with all my AP mates. The forum is a place full of t'riffic positive people. It makes this hobby the best out there.  ^^^ ^^^

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    

Offline tstevens

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 12:04:29 AM »
I owned a Congo for 5 years that i recently sold,AWESOME under rated game. regret selliing it now.
Troy Stevens
(Cant Live Without My Genie!!)

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 12:41:58 AM »
Nice title, pretty sure I have seen one somewhere but I don't think I have ever played.

You are one serious collector! I will have to see if I can duck down to the Gold Coast when I am next up in Brisbane...

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 02:04:01 AM »
Thanks AJ.   You are welcome anytime. One day in the next few years I hope to have apx 60 DMD machines. If i just pick up one here n there for the next few years like I have the last few years, I should get there. Maybe one day I will have one of the best DMD collections in the country. I can only dream. Sharing them with others is the fun.

One day I will have a "Super AP Meet" and get everyone to come and meet each other.

Offline carnut

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2011, 04:19:12 AM »
bet im not the only one looking foward to the "super meet"!!!

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2011, 06:36:01 AM »
Nice pickup Brett well done I played Troys plenty of times and its a great title with some nice toys and great artwork. Keep building that collection pal and I look forward to a AP meet one day  #*#

Peter

Offline carbonROD

• Forum Posts:
  • CANBERRA
    • PINHEADZ PINBALL PODcast
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2011, 08:53:11 AM »
Great post! Your enthusiasm for Congo must be contagious...I've gotta find one to play now  ^^^
LIKE the Pinheadz PODcast on FACEBOOK or listen at iTUNES & STITCHER now!

Offline necroscope

• Forum Posts:
  • Romsey Vic
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2011, 09:25:40 AM »
You will be able to open a museum soon cavey  ^^^

Offline punter

• Forum Posts:
  • illawarra
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2011, 10:16:27 AM »
Nice pick up,i watched a vid of this on you tube recently and thought how cool is that gorilla under the playfield,looks to be a good player.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2011, 10:49:24 AM »
Thanks KTM450. The $ secret is that I rarely drink (bourban n coke). I dont smoke. I dont gamble. I am a miser with my money and the only hobby I have is Pinball. Although I run my own security business, money hasnt been huge this last 12 months compared to the previous years, but its a combination of saving every cent, watching all costs and working hard like everyone else on here.    I do OK for a sole proprietor with only a few part time staff. Buying pins between the $2000 and $2500 money mark makes more sense compared to dropping 8 or 10 grand on a single title. Thats how I have got 30 plus titles in 3 years, I dont spend too much at a time.

One thing I want to add, is a HUGE THANKYOU to my good mate Andy(Beaky) who looks after my collection from a techy point of view. I met Andy thru the forum 3 yrs ago and he is a walking pinny encyclopedia. Its good to have a large variety of pins cause Andy often tests boards in my machines that he is working on so it works out really well. Between my enthusiasm and Andy's pinny knowledge, I have learnt a huge amount about Pinball and have added the pinny electronics knowledge to my Industry electronics knowledge to have a reasonable grounding. Again, Thanks to Andy for his friendship and backup support. It is well appreciated.

Half of the fun with Pinball is sharing this stuff with all my AP mates. The forum is a place full of t'riffic positive people. It makes this hobby the best out there.  ^^^ ^^^

Great post, Brett  ^^^

Congrats on the purchase. I've never seen a Congo, but I know who owns one now !

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2011, 11:39:17 AM »
Congrats on the new pin mate, not my cup of tea at all this title...very boring game imo but this example is in very nice condition as all the jap pins have been.
" It's not the right time to be sober, now the idiots are taking over"

Offline Steevsee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2011, 09:24:27 PM »
Well done Brett and congrats on the new game.! ^^^

Did you add another room to your house or something?