Author Topic: Autobot test drive  (Read 216 times)

Offline Pinprick

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Perth
Autobot test drive
« on: November 29, 2011, 03:16:46 PM »
Got to see and play Stern's new Autobot LE version of Transformers last night at Joe's monday night BBQ.

My overall view: "WOW" Stern have done a brilliant job of upgunning the base machine and it looks stunning and plays very well (This is after only 3 games - even then I got called a machine hog, such was the queue waiting for a game)

First thing to impress is the deep red candy apple finish on all the metal furniture.
Then you notice the red translucent apron with reinforced centre. Going up the p/f there's a new laser etched s/steel plate on the right lane return. Oh yeah, the whole game is ledded with mini crees on pcb's. Shaker motor is naturally cool. Aditionally, there's a cannon above the LH lock/eject which is solenoid actuated to mimic recoil - very sexy.
Top right is a new flipper controlled (when lit) mini p/f with sensors & Leds. It's rubbered & tapered down from the top, so by judiciously banking it left/right very rapidly you can keep the ball on it for increased scoring - I think this is a bloody brilliant innovation. Top left now has a motorised critter at the apex of the ramp which distributes the ball to different points, this is way cool too.
There are plenty of extra ornamental toys and things (sorry, I don't know a Transformer from a transistor) which you will discover for yourself. Plus stuff I would have missed.
New cabinet artwork and much more vibrant tanslite art can't fail to impess either.

If I had the brass, I would love to own one . . .

PP

« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 10:49:52 PM by Pinprick »
"I don't operate on a level playing field"

Offline Dirty daz

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Autobot test drive
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 03:21:14 PM »
nice write up,  lots of talk about this one , with JJ in play  stern has upped things???

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 03:32:32 PM »

Thanks for the review, great to hear that Stern has responded to the challenge.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 04:12:50 PM »

Really pleased to hear this news. Looks like a winner. Any pics to post  #@#
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Pinprick

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Perth
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 04:40:32 PM »

Really pleased to hear this news. Looks like a winner. Any pics to post  #@#

Forgot my camera (again) hopefully get some in house shots next Monday.

Cheers

PP
"I don't operate on a level playing field"

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 08:47:24 PM »
Good to hear there are a few more goodies in the LE, The colour looks fantastic  *%*  I had the chance to play the PRO version and was disappointed, I wrote a brief review here:

http://aussiepinball.com/index.php?topic=6787.msg98275#msg98275

Would be interesting with the shaker motor and mini PF, there are some cool things in the game but overall I expected Stern to pull something amazing out due to JJP competition.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 08:49:22 PM by ktm450 »

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 09:31:42 PM »
I sopke to AMD in Sydney about the LE versions and they are selling like hotcakes. The artwork and overall package is Excellent.

I dont think Stern has done a better job on this model because of the Wizard of OZ, I think STERN just did what the TRANSFORMERS licencing people probably demanded because TRANSFORMERS has always been an A grade franchise. A quick look at their movies and u can see that STERN had to perform bigtime on this release or it would have looked bad.

The Pro model (designed to go onsite) was always going to be a bit more basic, understanding people will have a quick bash and put a few coins into it. I think STERN confuses the hell out of most buyers by having a very basic model with a much more random rule set, compared to a bling model with easier rules. Personally, I think the LE model shld have the difficult rule set to match the extra effort they have invested with all the extras and extra toys.

TRANSFORMERS is the best looking STERN model yet.  ^^^
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 10:02:34 AM »
I sopke to AMD in Sydney about the LE versions and they are selling like hotcakes. The artwork and overall package is Excellent.

I dont think Stern has done a better job on this model because of the Wizard of OZ, I think STERN just did what the TRANSFORMERS licencing people probably demanded because TRANSFORMERS has always been an A grade franchise. A quick look at their movies and u can see that STERN had to perform bigtime on this release or it would have looked bad.

The Pro model (designed to go onsite) was always going to be a bit more basic, understanding people will have a quick bash and put a few coins into it. I think STERN confuses the hell out of most buyers by having a very basic model with a much more random rule set, compared to a bling model with easier rules. Personally, I think the LE model shld have the difficult rule set to match the extra effort they have invested with all the extras and extra toys.

TRANSFORMERS is the best looking STERN model yet.  ^^^

This is pleasing news. I thought sales of the Transformers pin may be hurt with the leaking of the AC / DC pinball. I'm really pleased that Stern have a winner here !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia