Author Topic: How to build a Stern MPU to Soundboard cable  (Read 399 times)

Offline JRK1971

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
How to build a Stern MPU to Soundboard cable
« on: November 30, 2011, 03:50:30 PM »
A few people were talking about Stern soundboard cables recently. I just made one so I thought I would share the process and parts with the forum – hope its useful to you.

Aplogies for lack of photos, Im not sure how to load more than 4, and how to stick them in between the text.  ^&^

The cable connection from the Stern MPU to the Soundboard has 34 pins with connectors at each end with 0.1”spacing. You can buy all the parts from Great Plain Electronics http://www.greatplainselectronics.com/Category-70.asp (nice and simple) or go to somebody like Aztronics in Australia.

I bought  these parts
22-01-2247 Connector, 0.1" Plug, 24 Pin (2 of)
22-01-2107 Connector, 0.1" Plug, 10 Pin (2 of)
08-52-0123 Crimp Contact, 0.1", Tin Plated Phosphor Bronze (100 of)
I used some spare cable I had lying around

I cut 34 cables the same length.
I then stripped a small bit of insulation from the wire and used a Molex crimping tool to crimp the “crimp contacts” to the wire. This is a two part process where you crimp the bare wire first, and then crimp the insulation section of the wire. Attached is a photo of a cable with both crimps done. Note the tool has a bare wire crimping end and an insulator crimping end (the photo of the tool shows the marking indicating this.

Once I’d crimped all the “crimp contacts”, I simply loaded them into the connector housings (I used a 24 pin and 10 pin housing to get the 34 pins). Pin configuration is 1 to 1 ie same location in connector at each end (no crossovers).

I then installed the finished product in the machine – much more reliable than the IDC (ribbon)cable there before. Note: I cable tied the cables after the photo to make it a bit neater.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 07:31:23 PM by JRK1971 »