Author Topic: EOS Switch destroyed  (Read 362 times)

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
EOS Switch destroyed
« on: December 04, 2011, 12:02:45 PM »
Hey guys, had some friends over with kids and had people playing my games on and off for about 8 hours. Finally close to end my T2 left flipper died. I have had numerous problems with it mainly fuses or wires coming off.

During a spate of wire breaks I had an occurrence of an EOS switch that was destroyed in which the longer blade simply broke in half. Then another time not that far apart, that same blade on a new EOS had the contact part (tungsten pad??) blown off.

Now the same has happened to its replacement. I don't play T2 very often and am not a flipper crazed person. So I'm guessing kids flipping a lot had attributed to it but I don't think it should occur full stop. The EOS still look brand spankin'.

What's causing this, poor spacing, too much voltage, wrong type of eos???

Here's a photo
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
Re: EOS Switch destroyed
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 03:58:53 PM »
Must be sparking a bit.
What's the capacitor look like?

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 06:36:56 PM »
It's the yellow 250vdc 160vac ti 2.2j

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 07:01:46 PM »
Rob,

Somethings obviously NQR on this....

I would suggest starting at one end and working your way through just to check what is causing this...

What fuse values do you have in F101 and F102?

I am assuming you got the correct flipper kits with normally closed EOS switches?

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 07:48:31 PM »
Blades breaking in half is just crap goods... and i suspect that the contact coming off is down to poor quality also... after all, the other side contact looks good, id expect heavy pitting etc if it was heavy sparking. The contacts are just pushed through and then stamped over on one side to hold it into place.. might not have been stamped hard enough... touch of silver solder would sort it out

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2011, 08:04:18 PM »
Rob,

Somethings obviously NQR on this....

I would suggest starting at one end and working your way through just to check what is causing this...

What fuse values do you have in F101 and F102?

I am assuming you got the correct flipper kits with normally closed EOS switches?

Correct fuses sb and did use correct kits I believe. The eos has the spring leaf to Make it normally closed.

As far as cheap eos I'm sure I got them from bumper so would have expected them to be good. But I'll try another supplier for the next batch as my spare parts dept is out of stock @.@

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 09:32:57 AM »

I'd say it is more likely an issue during production. They are cheap to replace !

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=44_158&products_id=2880

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, 08:47:30 PM »
 $.$

I'd say it is more likely an issue during production. They are cheap to replace !

Thanks nino not questioning cost of replacing though. Just checking to see if I'm unlucky or should look further into the matter. I think you're probably right I just wanted to avoid the old keep replacing fuses syndrome without fixing the real problem.

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2011, 08:55:18 PM »
$.$

Thanks nino not questioning cost of replacing though. Just checking to see if I'm unlucky or should look further into the matter. I think you're probably right I just wanted to avoid the old keep replacing fuses syndrome without fixing the real problem.

I've never had an EOS do that to me.  But you are a better player than me Rob.  Most of my balls drain very quickly.

Still strange.  Is the coil getting warm at all?

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2011, 09:58:34 PM »
$.$

I've never had an EOS do that to me.  But you are a better player than me Rob.  Most of my balls drain very quickly.

Still strange.  Is the coil getting warm at all?
From memory the coils have always been getting hot but haven't check this after a flipper rebuild some 3 years ago. This flipper has been playing up since I moved it to my sons house during the house build. Plenty of fuse blows until I readjusted eos and then found broken wires 2-3 times from coil or cap etc etc. so I see where you're coming from that maybe there's an underlining problem.

You're also kind of correct in not I'm a good player but I don't tend to flip too much nor trap the ball for prolonged periods in my game play these days so maybe I don't get the problem so much from my personal use.

I'll order a new eos and hold the flipper up for a minute or two and also go flipper bananas for a another test.

Thanks for your thoughts btw mate

Offline ralph67

• Forum Posts:
  • Stoneville
    • ralph1967@optusnet.com.au
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2012, 06:46:18 PM »
id double check the wiring on coil lugs also test diodes on flipper coils, and check that eos swich is not opening to late and the gap when opened should be around the thickness of a five cent piece but not certain about the this! good luck
One-Ball!