Author Topic: POOL TABLE RECONDITION FOR SOMETHING A LITTLE DIFFERENT  (Read 7090 times)

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
POOL TABLE RECONDITION FOR SOMETHING A LITTLE DIFFERENT
« on: December 09, 2011, 03:54:20 PM »
Hi Guys
           for those who are interested ive been working on my latest project and old coin operated pool table.

Funny thing is my wife who hates my machines found it on facebook for sale and told me about it (Silly Girl  %.%

Plan is to replace my 8x4 foot slate coin op table with this smaller 7x3.6foot slate coin op table.  To make more work space and enough room to fit the monaro if i ever decide to bring it home.

The cloth on this table was absolutely stuffed which is great because i always wanted to recloth my old one but it was still to good to bother this one had to be done.

Here are a few photos as advertised on facebook

Offline goodolddays

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
Gday Daniel . Have you reclothed it yet ? Is it a hard or easy job ?

Cheers
Dave
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
The worst part of this story is i had my od pool table sold arranged 3 mates and a trailer to move the tables.  The new owner was coming at 6 to collect his table and we were going at 7 to get mine..   Got a phone call about 3 or 4 ish saying he no longer wants the table  ^&^   Good reason and not worried to much but man was i worried at the time no room as it was rain was on the card for that night and i only had the traier one day luckily with enought packing and tetris style moving i made room for both tables.

Must say was not easy clothing the table with only one foot of room each side lol

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
And to answer your question Dave its not hard you just have to be patient and think about what your doing.   The hardest part for me was cutting the new cushion rubbers into shape lets hope i never have to do that again.

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Another issue with the table was the laminate on the edges there was glue on the top and bottom but around the curve the laminate wasnt even touching the wood sa after years of a buse the laminate had cracked and broken.
      So i removed as much of the laminate using a sharp chisel and lots of patience what ever was glued to well i left anr removed with a belt sander.

Wasnt overly impressed with what was under the laminate top half was hard wood but very splintery the bottom haf was a soft pine.   After filling as many chips etc  with putty i gave them a few coats of 2pak clear which has made a great difference.

Still not 100% happy so ill block back and re clear it untill i am.

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
Nice work mate  ^^^

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Sides were all sanded over the weekend and another few coats of 2pak clear still has a few marks that i wasnt happy with but ran out of clear and figure we will only dint and scratch it anyway its made to play.

Hopefully get time to pick up the chrome corners from eltimbos tomorrow arvo my buff didnt have the balls.

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
Looks great Daniel .. Nice job  ^^^
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
 Great work Daniel.  :D

Offline tonyt

• Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
Great work Daniel, jack of all trades

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Well who says i dont finish anything of mine (Ha Ha lots of people)

Finally remembered to order the kit for drawing on the D (Wanted to keep it old school)

Chrome edges are installed i ordered some chrome T mould to go inbetween the felt and the wooden frame which im very happy with the result lets just hope it lasts !@#

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast

Looks great Daniel. I used to recover tables 20 years ago - assisting my Dad. They are NOT easy to do - but it is the BEST feeling playing on a re covered table.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Yep definately better to play on with new rubbers and cloth.

Seeing my table finished has given the brother in law a little bit of motivation to finish of the one your dad built lets hope he does can't wait to see it finished.   

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Yep definately better to play on with new rubbers and cloth.

Seeing my table finished has given the brother in law a little bit of motivation to finish of the one your dad built lets hope he does can't wait to see it finished.   

That would have been a table we recovered in the early 90's. That table your brother in law has was built in 1969 ish.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
Good job, should make it play real nice! And the chrome is a worthwhile effect, without being over the top.