Author Topic: Visual Pinball/ pinMame  (Read 3551 times)

Offline Wotto

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
Visual Pinball/ pinMame
« on: September 18, 2008, 09:55:29 PM »
Anyone here use it much?

Look - I know it AINT the real thing but mate 'hats off' to the guys there currently redrawing tables.
get a look at the latest versions of tables from an author named JP Salas - grab em and play em - they go OK. He did a recent version of AFM and is currently working on Simpsons Pinball Party as we speak.

I think its a fantastic way to 'road-test' a game.

I use an arcade cabinet with side flipper and nudge buttons and I use strong springs I had custom made inside the 'flipper button's and it fells DAMN good. It is incredibly better than hitting the SHIFT buttons on a keyboard.

The latest version of the Gottlieb table Genie plays beautifully.

If you get a table and arent happy with how it 'feels' just spend a little time in the editor and alter the flipper strength and other flipper settings and you can improve the 'feel' quite easily. You can also lose the corny flipper sounds as well if they bother you at all.

Anyway - check out the site VP Forums, you may be surprised.

I will try and get some screenshots of the latest stuff and post them here.....anyone that hasnt seen it recently may be surprised.

;D

DW Drums rule !

Offline ktm450

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
Re: Visual Pinball/ pinMame
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 10:32:26 PM »
I dont use it that much, mainly when I'm bored at work, but it is good for an idea of the games.
PacDude's tables are also very good

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 11:27:02 PM »
Hey Watto, where you find those newer tables? Just checked out VPForums - all changed in the last few weeks, don't seem to be hosted by AJ anymore, and no new AFM by JP Salas - is there another download site?
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Wotto

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 08:56:21 AM »
Hey Watto, where you find those newer tables? Just checked out VPForums - all changed in the last few weeks, don't seem to be hosted by AJ anymore, and no new AFM by JP Salas - is there another download site?

Yeah - AJ's appears to be gone.
The Tables can be downloaded from VP Forums itself - see the pic below and just click there.

You can also get tables at Pinball Nirvana

In both cases you will have to be registered at VP Forums.

DW Drums rule !

Offline Creech

• Forum Founder
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 09:04:47 AM »
Thanks Wotto. I find Visual Pinball a great guide to see what a machine looks like and feels like if you're in the market for a particular machine. I downloaded Galaxy but can't get the sucker to work. You can enter coins but pressing Start has no effect. Most annoying!

I find the reproductions in Future Pinball to be of a higher quality but there are not that many tables out there. What does exist can be found here: http://www.futurepinball.com/

Offline Wotto

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008, 10:53:58 AM »
Thanks Wotto. I find Visual Pinball a great guide to see what a machine looks like and feels like if you're in the market for a particular machine. I downloaded Galaxy but can't get the sucker to work. You can enter coins but pressing Start has no effect. Most annoying!

Some tables start with the 3 button or the S button for some reason ( just a few of them ) - may be the cause?

DW Drums rule !

Offline Creech

• Forum Founder
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 11:24:50 AM »
Thanks - I'll try those out.

Offline Wotto

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2008, 08:03:30 PM »
Heres what I was talking about....

This is how the VP tables used to look when the program first started ( well actually Dracula still looks like this as no-one has re-drawn it ) ....but they all used to look like this .....

Nowadays - you get graphics like below, and most of the lighting effects as well, I am sure you will see the difference... ( by the way I have no idea why part of the editor window appears in some of these shots at the left as it doesnt appear in the jpeg on my PC - strange ) ....anyway I am sure you will get the idea.

If you dont like the way it comes standard ( in relation to flipper'feel' ) - open the table in the editor window and click the options tabon the left, click once on a flipper so it highlights in blue and then make power/ strength changes to the flippers and save the table once it plays to your liking....

DW Drums rule !

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2008, 08:31:01 PM »
I found those tables eventually Wotto, thanks!

Tried out that RFM merged with AFM - kinda cool! :)
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Chuck

• Forum Posts:
  • Usa
    • Big Guys Pinball
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2008, 03:56:15 AM »
The quality of the tables are hit and miss.  A few are excellent.  Many are ok.  Lots are horrible.  On a lot fo tables you just can't make some of the important shots because of bad flipper implementation.  I also use it to try games I'm thinking about buying.

Try this:

http://www.futurepinball.com/

A fairly new and more accurate simulator. 

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2008, 11:50:31 AM »

I've been mucking around with FP - great for EMs !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Wotto

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2008, 02:25:44 PM »
Yes - Fp looks a whole lot better and behaves better too, but there is a massive issue with it ( apparently ) that it cant and wont ever work with PinMame......meaning that most tables cant be created for FP as Fp cannot work with the original game roms ......ever !

Anyone more informed than me on this ?

« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 02:28:58 PM by Wotto »
DW Drums rule !

Offline 63wizz

• Forum Posts:
  • Tasmania
    • My Pinball Collection
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2008, 09:19:21 AM »
I love pinmame, it gives me a chance to see many tables i have never seen before.

yes some are shit quality and play, but its all good fun.

cheers Ian.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2008, 06:46:12 PM »
I blame pinmame for now being stuck (! :)) owing a BBB - it's what made me have to have one!