Author Topic: Attack from Mars  (Read 3002 times)

Offline RottyGuy

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Forum Posts:
  • QLD
Re: Attack from Mars
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2012, 07:16:15 PM »
Listing ended as item is no longer for sale. Seller does this all the time. I think it's all part of advertising his business. Why else would you
keep listing pins at such high prices and then pull the listing.

Good luck to him. The pins are all in fantastic condition, but he's always going to lose out considering the amount of time, effort and money invested
into these pins.

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2012, 08:03:08 PM »
he actually sold the machine outside of ebay via an offer made probably to avoid the ridiculous fleabay / paypal fees. Same as the scared stiff a few days ago. Luke's a nice guy who is very helpful - just bought a custom iron man off him tonight at a good price.
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline Cursed

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Tasmania
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2012, 11:42:01 PM »
*Off Topic* Congrats on the iron man purchase Swinks.  ^^^ *%*

Offline RottyGuy

• Forum Posts:
  • QLD
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2012, 12:28:41 AM »
he actually sold the machine outside of ebay via an offer made probably to avoid the ridiculous fleabay / paypal fees. Same as the scared stiff a few days ago. Luke's a nice guy who is very helpful - just bought a custom iron man off him tonight at a good price.

Well done on the Ironman.

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2012, 05:22:54 PM »
Two months on I thought I might update this post I felt it worthwhile for the information of other members.
To keep to the facts, a customer of mine purchased the machine based on the description and attached images in the original for sale ad.
Upon arrival the purchaser noticed issues with the flippers (weak and sticking).  The machine was delivered to my workshop and I inspected the machine thoroughly against the description being 'High End Restoration', over 100 hours work etc.
Conversations / emails then took place between my customer and the seller Luke and the transaction was reversed.

Below are images of the cabinet and decal job:

Machine advertised as having a brand new DMD:

Condition of the cabinet and wiring from the 'modifications'

Modifications held in with electrical tape

Wiring looms on underside of playfield (no heat shrink, just electrical tape) - note lamp wires coming from pop bumpers.  Some wires just exposed.

This is either an early Gottlieb or Williams LEAF SWITCH.  At least the lower screw was left out so it didn't go through the playfield:

Other playfield switches (holes under playfield)

Earth wires not connected and just left hanging

Some other issues which I personally do NOT equate with a 'High End Restoration'.

Pop bumper brackets (weld repair) not replaced

Missing or perished rubber grommits on coils

Missing glides

Missing screws, wrong bolts, missing nuts

Coin door not 'new', evidence of break in attempt

Lane guide on shooter, obviously the bracket has broken at some point, so a standup target bracket used

Incorrect pop bumper lamp holders - I don't even know what these are off.  Globes don't fit properly under cap

Flippers rebuilt?

Seized coil

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2012, 06:01:03 PM »
I usually try to avoid taking sides in these types of threads, but having done my own AFM full restoration it beggars belief why you would outlay all that cash on new parts and then do such a slipshod job on the restoration process.

Seeing that filthy wiring loom, incorrect switches and rusty broken bracketry on a brand new $800 AFM Mirco playfield simply makes me ask WHY?

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2012, 07:11:23 PM »
I have to leave a comment as I have in the past talked up his games - I am sorry for talking this machine up as when I played it, it was a week after the resto (yes depth of resto is questionable) it looked great (yes looked), but I must say having never looked under the bonnet, those photos tells a whole different story. I am actually disappointed with the amount of issues and non standard things that are hidden and would have thought the inside of the cabinet would have looked like other high end machines - trimmed out in black, hardly a spec of dust, everything original etc.

I suppose the difference when I got his IM, it had only done the pub circuit for 18months and then to me so everything looked neat.

I apologize to the person who bought this in the first place if my opinion had assisted in going for it.

I did hear at Pinfest that the sale fell through and that it was returned and he then on-sold it to someone else - hopefully at a lesser price or with everything fixed.

I hope the original owner MartyJ was not mucked around and everything was worked out.

for pinball t-shirts

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2012, 07:18:02 PM »
I have to leave a comment as I have in the past talked up his games - I am sorry for talking this machine up as when I played it, it was a week after the resto (yes depth of resto is questionable) it looked great (yes looked), but I must say having never looked under the bonnet, those photos tells a whole different story. I am actually disappointed with the amount of issues and non standard things that are hidden and would have thought the inside of the cabinet would have looked like other high end machines - trimmed out in black, hardly a spec of dust, everything original etc.

I suppose the difference when I got his IM, it had only done the pub circuit for 18months and then to me so everything looked neat.

I apologize to the person who bought this in the first place if my opinion had assisted in going for it.

I did hear at Pinfest that the sale fell through and that it was returned and he then on-sold it to someone else - hopefully at a lesser price or with everything fixed.

I hope the original owner MartyJ was not mucked around and everything was worked out.

No issues Swinksy.  Unfortunately its one of those things and the key lesson is to always inspect a machine prior to purchase (esp at machines over $9k).
One persons view of a work standard is or maybe different to anothers.

As mentioned the transaction was reversed between the seller and purchaser, once he was notified the purchaser was not happy with machine vs description etc, however shipping costs etc are out of pocket expenses.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2012, 07:38:04 PM »

Good to hear the seller was prepared to do the right thing - that game is terrible by any standard, and the new decals wasted.

Kudos Swinks for stepping up regarding your original opinion - this was not your fault, but stepping up takes good character.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2012, 08:30:45 PM »
Is it just me, OR is this a completely different AFM machine to the first one advertised. ?   

That seems more likely than the first one just falling apart like that. The one pictured isnt worth 3 grand. Its a complete wreck.
How the hell did anyone let that go out the door. Something aint right thats for sure.

The buyer must have had a heartattack when that turned up ! Glad its sorted.
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2012, 08:31:04 PM »
I usually try to avoid taking sides in these types of threads, but having done my own AFM full restoration it beggars belief why you would outlay all that cash on new parts and then do such a slipshod job on the restoration process.

Seeing that filthy wiring loom, incorrect switches and rusty broken bracketry on a brand new $800 AFM Mirco playfield simply makes me ask WHY?

Exactly my thoughts. Looks pretty !

I saw this game in person, and I was shocked at the workmanship. It played like a game straight out of a container. Really disappointing.

I hope whoever owns this machine, purchased it at it's real value, and has the game restored professionally  ^^^
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2012, 09:34:21 PM »
Something does seem odd as I played lukes at the pub (late Dec 2011) and it was amazing to look and play - did this one have blue led flashers leading to the mother ship in the centre.

Though when comparing the trim and items used it does fit - the outside must have down some rounds to pubs ??? scratching my head - just can't believe it.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 09:37:20 PM by swinks »

for pinball t-shirts

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2012, 09:42:49 PM »

Same game unless the door bolts (4 different variations - black, polished, dull and rusted) were removed from this game and placed on the the "other" game  !@#

The new display is in this game.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2012, 09:50:01 PM »
Yeah I'm pretty sure its the same machine.  Bit hard to tell from your photos re the trimming of the cab art and from a distance it looks OK.  I understand fully that under macro photography anything can look bad and I'm not trying to be overly picky.

This is a shot from the front.  The bolts to the right of the coin door look identical

It does look like the flippers were adjusted correctly from what was on your photos.

I invited two well respected people over to play for second and third opinions as well, just so I was not being bias.

I wont post on this anymore due to some other factors which have been posted online.

Offline Greg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
    • rtbb.com.au
« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2012, 03:53:22 PM »
I went to Marty's and had a look at this machine and would have to agree with what Marty described

it was not worth the price that was paid,  maybe seven grand tops