Author Topic: E.M.s arn't that hard to work on after all  (Read 680 times)

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
Re: E.M.s arn't that hard to work on after all
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2012, 09:18:23 PM »
Good stuff another EM tech you have to be careful not to zap yourself don't you that's what I here anyways

Peter
Been there done that, a few months ago I touched one of the terminals on the big 120 volt coil for the reset bar on the GTB. even with the power switch under the machine turned off it still gave me a big boot  ^.^
I can't understand why, it should be turned off when the power switch under the machine is switched off, I would have to look at the schematics for the machine (which I don't have) to work out why and if it should still be live with the switch turned off.
There was a lot of swearing and cursing when it happened.
After that incident i now do all my work on EM's with it unplugged from the mains  !@)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 09:23:32 PM by beaky »
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2012, 09:26:30 PM »
Same with Gottlieb System 1 and 80 - they are still live at the transformer when plugged in, learned to unplug them a long time back (drop  a screwdriver or let the solder wire drop and you work it out quickly!!) Never really found if it's the same with other manufacturers (as other makers put their high power stuff in less accessible areas, probably for good reason)
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2012, 09:30:13 PM »
Good stuff another EM tech you have to be careful not to zap yourself don't you that's what I here anyways

Peter
Been there done that, a few months ago I touched one of the terminals on the big 120 volt coil for the reset bar on the GTB. even with the power switch under the machine turned off it still gave me a big boot  ^.^
I can't understand why, it should be turned off when the power switch under the machine is switched off, I would have to look at the schematics for the machine (which I don't have) to work out why and if it should still be live with the switch turned off.
There was a lot of swearing and cursing when it happened.
After that incident i now do all my work on EM's with it unplugged from the mains  !@)

Yes... is not a mains switch, is only from transformer to coils... touch either side of transformer and you know it

If I had known who was making the offer I would have left it alone.

Nah... i emailed him and pointed out that it didnt work, back door was missing and had wear... i put that into unseen project catagory and so $350 was my offer.... its now working and so typically, my interest has vanished!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 09:33:11 PM by Retropin »

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2012, 10:29:14 PM »
That's awesome beaky, I have a Surf Champ waiting to do a restore along with a full clean and set - gives me some encouragement.
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline Olivia_jason

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2012, 10:36:06 PM »
on that subject of Gtb's being live at transformer even switched off, are they using a fair wack of power?? i might have to turn mine off at the wall at my shop if that is the case. any ideas on that?

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2012, 10:49:01 PM »
No... there is no current flow until you either turn it on or touch the transformer output

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2012, 04:12:48 PM »
Oi...Beaky.

See what youve done??? 1 more week and this would have been listed down to $350 and i would have snapped it up...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Williams-1977-HOT-TIP-electro-mechanical-/250970933693?pt=AU_CoinOp&hash=item3a6f0889bd

Offline goodolddays

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2012, 04:53:04 PM »
Seller forgot use the word "Rare"   :lol :lol
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2012, 07:37:26 PM »
Oi...Beaky.

See what youve done??? 1 more week and this would have been listed down to $350 and i would have snapped it up...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Williams-1977-HOT-TIP-electro-mechanical-/250970933693?pt=AU_CoinOp&hash=item3a6f0889bd

I can't win can I. He said he would keep it if I got it going  ^.^  Bet his missus nagged him into selling It. thats why he sold his Flinstones  #@#
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline roundball

• Forum Posts:
  • BNE - The only place to be.
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2012, 09:49:27 PM »
Thanks Beaky..  You gave me the inspiration to tackle my EM problems the other day and low and behold she's working a treat..

Big call out to Gav too for the help he offered via PM, it all adds up and she's flippin' nice now.  :)

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2012, 10:23:21 PM »
Thanks Beaky..  You gave me the inspiration to tackle my EM problems the other day and low and behold she's working a treat..

Big call out to Gav too for the help he offered via PM, it all adds up and she's flippin' nice now.  :)

Awesome to hear!!!

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2012, 11:33:32 AM »

...and now your giving her the flip!

Offline pinballowner

• Forum Posts:
  • Qld south of Brisbane

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2012, 06:33:06 AM »
Got to love the questions on that one..

Offline Homepin