Author Topic: Stern Terminator 3 Reconditioning  (Read 1238 times)

Offline TUF-427

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane Queensland Australia
Re: Stern Terminator 3 Reconditioning
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2012, 12:04:02 PM »
Thats a Really nice example Nino Im Jealous!

Ive only ever Seen / played one of these last year in the States at an arcade on Santa Monica pier,

and like most sited pins these days was a really poor example with weak flippers and dirty as hell...

U can see the cues from T2 in its design Should flow well having Steve Ritchies name to it!
Firepower, F14 Tomcat, Terminator2, Twilight Zone, No Fear, TAF, Hyperball, Sttng....

Offline Replay

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast Queensland
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2012, 04:12:39 PM »
nice work, will be super fast now

one of Sterns better games IMO

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2012, 10:49:35 PM »
The more I look at this game the more I want to play it...it looks like flow city to the max!
" It's not the right time to be sober, now the idiots are taking over"

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2012, 01:17:19 AM »

I had a break - a week off at the beach. Naturally, I picked the week that the weather was the coldest Summer weather in 50 years  !@#

Been back on the Terminator 3. Still working on the playfield. All the mechanisms are rebuilt with new coil sleeves, and worn or broken parts are replaced. Here's a typical scenario - I've tumbled the pop bumper rings, but they are still dull. I hand buff them on the buffer, and they look better than new ! In the pic below, the upper ring is hand polished.

The ball trough is also cleaned and rebuilt. Re assembly does not take too long. As per usual, the metal ball guides are regrained and all other hardware is tumbled and some polished on the buffer wheel.

My HUGE LED order from RTBB arrived. This game will be fully kitted out with LEDS. Here's some pictures of some experimentation with different colors and types on the playfield. Concentrating on the GI areas to bring out the Blue of the plastics. Red is also another color that will be highlighted.

While I was stripping the game, I noticed two of the 89 Globes had burnt out the blue hoods. These were replaced and I will double check that there is no issue with these lights. They are going to be replaced by LEDs.

Here's the plastic that was also burnt from the globe. I purchased a replacement which I will install.

Here's some really cool shots of the game with LEDS installed. It looks awesome at night !

I think the mirrored panels on the sides would look great in this machine.

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2012, 09:39:16 AM »
Yes, that does look good with LEDs!

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2012, 10:28:48 AM »
Those blue LEDs look Awsome Nino some games really do improve with LEDs

Offline elkor-alish

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2012, 04:16:14 PM »
Great Pics!
Looks really good.
Pins: The Getaway, TotAN, WH2O, Pinball Magic, Banzai Run, Flintstones, Judge Dredd, Lord of the Rings LE, Metallica LE, Iron Man VE, The Walking Dead LE, Star Trek The Next Generation.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2012, 05:44:28 PM »
....and u are selling the game when finished Mr Nino for how much ?  #@# #@#  it looks very nice  ^^^

not sure about using coloured LEDs for the G.I, compared to only matching the inserts colour for colour etc, but it does look good. I would have liked to have seen all the General Illumination replaced with white LEDs only but you have the best call because the game is right in front of you.    It does look bloody good.

So it seems even Mr Nino has converted to LEDs ? Is this the first machine you have done Nino with LEDs ? I dont remember any others. ?  !@#

the whole resto is coming along very nicely. Well done mate on a great job of posting photos etc....
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Jango

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2012, 08:22:46 PM »
Looks bloody beautiful Nino.  I have never seen a T3 but should be getting my T2 from el-Timbo very very soon.  I reckon a T2 and a T3 together would look superb.  Love reading your threads on resto's.  Damn interesting and the detail is just amazing

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2012, 12:02:46 PM »
....and u are selling the game when finished Mr Nino for how much ?  #@# #@#  it looks very nice  ^^^

not sure about using coloured LEDs for the G.I, compared to only matching the inserts colour for colour etc, but it does look good. I would have liked to have seen all the General Illumination replaced with white LEDs only but you have the best call because the game is right in front of you.    It does look bloody good.

So it seems even Mr Nino has converted to LEDs ? Is this the first machine you have done Nino with LEDs ? I dont remember any others. ?  !@#

the whole resto is coming along very nicely. Well done mate on a great job of posting photos etc....

The game was originally reserved for a member, but he changed his mind and wants a T2. The game has been in my garage for 2 years, and I've been playing it in between restores. Time to move it on as I need the room. So yes, it will be on the market when I've finished it and worked out a price (when it is finished).

LEDs - Yes - a recent convert. Most of the games I do are SS or EMs - which don't use LEDs. But I MAY use LEDs on my Flight 2000. The first game I tried it on (with Greg) was the Theater of Magic. That game turned out amazing. Some games look great with LEDs and some don't. I was going to LED WCS94, but decided against it. T3 is PERFECT for LEDs. Greg's T3 looks amazing as well. It can change a machine's appearance completely. So I will be using LEDs on selected DMDs in future restores.

Photos are much better since I bought my iPhone !

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2012, 09:38:14 PM »
Nice, I also have never been a fan of LEDs but after having a mates STTNG sitting in the shed a little while back, I am starting to come around

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2012, 06:14:58 PM »
My teenage mutant ninja/gilligans/independence day/congo machines were dull n boring to look at bulb wise before i changed all inserts n some GI to LEDS.

Like the terminator 3 Nino is doing, it brought these games alive in a way u would never believe possible. LEDs are the present n future now. LEDs can make a massive positive difference. I have never seen a T3 look so good as the one nino has done. Pretty impressive.
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2012, 12:40:29 AM »

Not far to go now. The flippers needed to be rebuilt. I ended up replacing the coil stops, bushings, plunger and links. Everything else was fine. Obviously I replaced the coil sleeves.

The RPG section in the headbox needed to be dis assembled and cleaned. This took a while to do properly. There was a lot of dirt in this section.

I upgraded the ROMs to V4.00 - from the Stern site. The battery holder had some corrosion from leakage, so I replaced that as well and installed new batteries.

I'm still working with the LED selection, and since the game is almost ready, I started playing a few games tonight. The wireform ramp that MartyJ repaired was installed (pics on the next update), so I had the excuse to play the game and iron out any faults. The LEDs looks AMAZING - but I need to sort out some Ghosting issues which annoy me !

A seriously "bling" picture !

.. and finally a picture of the cleaned RGP backbox assembly, LED placement behind the backbox and the completed playfield !

<.>

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2012, 10:35:59 AM »
Looks great Nino  ^^^  i'm not usually a huge fan of LEDs in pins but i must say they sure look the part in this title  *%* indeed they also look good in most of the other late model pins i've seen on the forum posted by other members  *%* its mainly the expense rather than the look that makes me shy away from using them, though im sure they'd last a LOT longer than standard globes.

I've never played (or even seen in the flesh) one of these before, how would you compare it to T2 playwise??

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2012, 11:11:18 AM »
Looks great Nino  ^^^  i'm not usually a huge fan of LEDs in pins but i must say they sure look the part in this title  *%* indeed they also look good in most of the other late model pins i've seen on the forum posted by other members  *%* its mainly the expense rather than the look that makes me shy away from using them, though im sure they'd last a LOT longer than standard globes.

I've never played (or even seen in the flesh) one of these before, how would you compare it to T2 playwise??

I think it is a faster and more flowing pinball than T2. Not as colorful on the playfield. T3 has more of a dark theme. If I had a choice between the two, I'd definitely prefer T3.