Author Topic: Stern Terminator 3 Reconditioning  (Read 1295 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Stern Terminator 3 Reconditioning
« on: January 07, 2012, 01:53:00 PM »

Next in the DMD Restoration / Reconditioning Queue is a Stern Terminator 3. One of my favorite Sterns. It has been in my garage for quite some time, and I was playing it while doing other projects.

Objective

The machine is already in excellent condition, and could pass as "shopped" for some sellers  %.%. Not good enough for me, as I think this game has great lighting effects and will look great reconditioned.

Condition

Playfield - 10/10 - Dirty. That's about it ! There's a lot of REDS in this game, and the playfield will look great with a high sheen.

Cabinet - 9/10 - Really nice. No major dints or scuff marks. Some wear around the flipper buttons. Translite is fine. Front door is straight and clean.

Electronics - 10/10 - Game is less than 10 years old and has no problems that I can see yet !

Let's Begin - The "Before" pictures

Teardown begins

Looks like the female Terminator has a bit of a meltdown at some stage - this may indicate a board problem, so I'll be testing this before re assembly.

One of the most "asked" questions or comments I get is "how do you remember where things go ?" - Photos and notes ! Takes a few seconds to pull out the camera and take pictures. There are many posts on this game of different sizes.

Playfield is stripped. First pass of Nifti and a rag (my favorite), and then a quick clean with Novus 2. Very pleased with the playfield.

After the playfield cleaning, I use the Treasurecove kit to bring out the shine and natural REDS on this game. No longer dull, just a really nice polished playfield !

Under the playfield

Just because it is a newer title, I still rebuild every assembly and replace ALL Coil sleeves. I've NEVER worked on a machine and NOT found problems - either the pops have broken yolks (metal), work bakerlite yolks, coils have very worn sleeves causing the mechanisms to be sloppy and broken armatures or brackets. The wrong type of spring is my favorite, along with over lubricated and gummed up slingshots. Love these !

This is the section behind the back panel at the top of the playfield. No point in going to all the trouble of polishing the playfield if this section is not disassembled. The dirt in this area will simply be transferred from this area back on to the playfield.

Drop Target is an interesting design, and it is very robust. Filthy, with a bit of lubrication that has dripped down the plunger.

Rebuilt

Next update - Re assembly !

BTW - This game is just about the ONLY title that white rubbers won't look very good. There theme of the game is DARK, with REDS, chrome and black - so it will be the ONLY game you will ever see me install black rubbers.

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Jango

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Stern Terminator 3 Reconditioning
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 08:07:08 PM »
Looks great Nino.  Where did you get this title from?  Also re your use of the Treasure Cove Kit, do you ever get the liquid spraying everywhere from the buffing pad at high speed?  I have in the past and its a real pain to clean up.  Re wax, would you recommend paste or liquid Cannuba for the above reasons?
Thanks

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 11:31:46 PM »
Looks great Nino.  Where did you get this title from?  Also re your use of the Treasure Cove Kit, do you ever get the liquid spraying everywhere from the buffing pad at high speed?  I have in the past and its a real pain to clean up.  Re wax, would you recommend paste or liquid Cannuba for the above reasons?
Thanks

I've imported my own containers. Some are from a private collection I bought overseas. These are "hand picked" games that are in really nice condition to begin with.

Usually, I remove the playfield and the side wood panels. I cover up everything and then use the kit. In this case, I raised the playfield and masked the wooden side rails.

I only use  Meguiars Carnauba paste wax. I've tried all the others, and nothing comes close to this product.

http://www.meguiars.com/en/professional/products/m2611-hi-tech-yellow-waxpaste/

I've applied this to EMs and returned a year later to see the playfield still shining and the rubbers were still white.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 12:03:24 AM »

I only use  Meguiars Carnauba paste wax. I've tried all the others, and nothing comes close to this product.

http://www.meguiars.com/en/professional/products/m2611-hi-tech-yellow-waxpaste/

What about Mothers Carnauba? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA07N06M0032 That's what I have been using for some time with good results, although wondered about the Meguiars, thinking of trying that when I run out.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 01:39:21 PM »
Thats what I use Nick, big tub will take you awhile before you run out  :lol

Look great Nino.  I have played a few games on T3, definately better player than T2

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 03:13:05 PM »
Great work as usual Nino.  ^^^

A terminator 2 sitting next to a Terminator 3 would definately look the goods. Bloody nice looking pin the T3 is.

A saw a real nice one sell for apx $4500 apx 18 months ago. Not an easy one to find either, so prices can vary between $3750 to $4750 i think. Does that sound about right ?
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline RottyGuy

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Forum Posts:
  • QLD
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 04:45:26 PM »
I really like T3, i don't know why lots of ppl bag them.

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012, 07:27:40 PM »
Great work as usual Nino.  ^^^

A terminator 2 sitting next to a Terminator 3 would definately look the goods. Bloody nice looking pin the T3 is.

A saw a real nice one sell for apx $4500 apx 18 months ago. Not an easy one to find either, so prices can vary between $3750 to $4750 i think. Does that sound about right ?

They fluctuate. I've seen shockers sell for $3500, and most are overpriced at $5000 ish. This game will have some extras that will separate it from the norm.

I really like T3, i don't know why lots of ppl bag them.

I don't understand either. A much better title than T2. There's a lot of metal ramps and the only colors are red, blue, black and chrome. When they are prepared properly, they look awesome.

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2012, 07:40:44 PM »
Looking very good Nino.  I notice a lot of the later model Sterns - the playfield metal seems to go a very dull grey (almost oxidized) but yours look very clean straight out of the container.  Should clean up very nicely.

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2012, 09:38:33 PM »
Looking good nino t3 is a fun game, is it just normal meguiars carnauba wax paste from say super cheap you use?

Peter

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2012, 11:54:18 PM »
Looking good nino t3 is a fun game, is it just normal meguiars carnauba wax paste from say super cheap you use?

Peter

I bought mine years ago - I've done 30 + playfields and I'm still not half way through. Supercheap were not around, so it was either Autobarn or Repco. Exactly the same Wax as the link.

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2012, 03:51:34 PM »
Got some of the meguiars 26 today from super cheap so can't wait to see how it brings the PF up

Peter

Offline Pinprick

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2012, 05:38:07 PM »
IMHO T3 is a truly beautiful looking machine, with a stunning and non-hectic colour scheme.
What I dislike is hearing that quote "Out of time" (ad nauseum) from Arnie's RPG.
Maybe I'm just a crap player at T3?
I am impressed by how meticulously you doc/photo as you progress. Especially holding a steel rule up to metal spacers.
From now on I'll so the same, because I got caught once on a MM. Very luckily IPDB has a photo/chart of MM with the lengths indicated. Nearly shat when I realised how I'd fnyucked up.
Are you thinking of putting any German Stainless bits on this baby? Or do they only suit T2?
Anyway, she's looking like being a ripper already.

PP

"I don't operate on a level playing field"

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2012, 07:30:25 PM »
IMHO T3 is a truly beautiful looking machine, with a stunning and non-hectic colour scheme.
What I dislike is hearing that quote "Out of time" (ad nauseum) from Arnie's RPG.
Maybe I'm just a crap player at T3?
I am impressed by how meticulously you doc/photo as you progress. Especially holding a steel rule up to metal spacers.
From now on I'll so the same, because I got caught once on a MM. Very luckily IPDB has a photo/chart of MM with the lengths indicated. Nearly shat when I realised how I'd fnyucked up.
Are you thinking of putting any German Stainless bits on this baby? Or do they only suit T2?
Anyway, she's looking like being a ripper already.

PP

Documenting restorations and in particular, recording small details like spacers with rulers, is part of the process on ALL games. It is a simple yet effective way of making sure the game is re assembled correctly. I used to see machines stripped down to the playfield - except the posts and the pop bumper assemblies, and wonder why you would stop halfway through the teardown ? All that is needed is a camera and the job can be done properly.

No hardware extras on this game - I think the playfield is "busy" enough and it's main attraction is the flow. Cool game !

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2012, 09:11:26 PM »
Great looking game, I have not played this one but it looks like flow central!
I love the Terminator films and this would be a goer for me if it is a player...Is it a hard and fast flowing pin?
It sure looks like it with all those ramps and shots!
" It's not the right time to be sober, now the idiots are taking over"