Author Topic: gottlieb system 1 - Tilt always on  (Read 600 times)

Offline mgjock

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
gottlieb system 1 - Tilt always on
« on: January 21, 2012, 12:18:14 AM »
My gottlieb system 1 was working well. I have moved the machine around the room. Now when i turn it on, the tilt light is always on and the pinball is in tilt. The machine turns on, starts up ok but the ball is in tilt. every ball is in tilt. is it just the tilt switch or can be something else?

any possible solutions will be helpful?

Offline Olivia_jason

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: gottlieb system 1 - Tilt always on
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 12:22:42 AM »
My gottlieb system 1 was working well. I have moved the machine around the room. Now when i turn it on, the tilt light is always on and the pinball is in tilt. The machine turns on, starts up ok but the ball is in tilt. every ball is in tilt. is it just the tilt switch or can be something else?

any possible solutions will be helpful?

check the pendulum isnt stuck,that happened to me when i moved my machine,as it swings it can easily get stuck, if its touching it thinks its being tilted also the ball could be stuck or the leaf switch is touching, its easy to tell if its the switches

you can also adjust the pendulum if its upto high and touching
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 12:28:28 PM by Olivia_jason »

Offline mgjock

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 12:25:35 AM »
the pendulum and ball seem ok. i will check the switch. can it be anything other than pendulum, ball or switch?

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 10:57:13 AM »
The Slam switch on the door must be normally closed .
The tilt switch for the ball roll also needs to be closed .
Check that the green wire to  the ball roll tilt switch is not broken.
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline Olivia_jason

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 12:30:11 PM »
On my gtb machine the switch for the ball is open not closed unlike my Bally machines

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 01:38:47 PM »
On my gtb machine the switch for the ball is open not closed unlike my Bally machines

goodolddays is correct, Gottlieb ball tilt is normally closed, the style of switch stack looks like it's open, but it you look closely you'll see that it is closed, and the leaf being moved by the ball opens the switch.

The slam and ball tilts are a common issue. These are meant to be normally closed, and don't rely on a visible inspection for that, I've seen them look fine but with dirty contacts failing to make proper conduct. If there are no broken wires, slide a business card between the switch contacts with some pressure on them to clean off any accumulated dirt, and then make sure they are closed.

You can solder a jumper to the cpu to remove these for ever as a problem, but that should only be attempted if you have the knowledge and skill to work on a board. More info here - http://www.pinrepair.com/sys1/index.htm#slam

“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Olivia_jason

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, 11:13:21 PM »
my gtb is definatly open, it has the leaf under the bottom of the rail and the ball rolls over it to close it, not at the end like my bally machine,

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2012, 11:19:12 PM »
my gtb is definatly open, it has the leaf under the bottom of the rail and the ball rolls over it to close it, not at the end like my bally machine,

Dunno then, my sys1s must be unique. Seriously, normally closed is how it is.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Olivia_jason

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2012, 11:26:35 PM »

Dunno then, my sys1s must be unique. Seriously, normally closed is how it is.

well wouldnt matter any ways, its easy to enough to look at how its setup if its like your setup or like mine, but as every one is saying it more than likely the switches or wires just test them and see.

maybe mine has been modded who knows

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2012, 11:32:45 PM »
They look NO but are NC.