Author Topic: (Real) Juke boxes, how hard to maintain?  (Read 5059 times)

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
(Real) Juke boxes, how hard to maintain?
« on: January 28, 2012, 09:05:32 PM »
One day I would like to get a jukebox
I would prefer to get one that you can see the single being played, but I know that this style stopped being made in the ‘60’s (?)

Are these things built well?
Are they easy to fix when they do break down?

Not that I will be bidding, but this machine appeals to me
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Jukebox-/220936345429?pt=AU_CoinOp&hash=item3370d51755

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
Re: (Real) Juke boxes, how hard to maintain?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 09:16:32 PM »
Once again.. its one of those things where you need to have one to begin understanding its operation. Once you get your head around it, its relatively simple but really bloody clever at the same time. All grounding is done through the selection switch panel... this is a friggin pain to work on as i found out.

Once up and running though.. pretty much maintenance free... lovely machines they are

Offline silverball

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 11:52:19 PM »
Keep them playing,mechs tend to seize after not being used. People are always bringing jukeboxes in for repair.........standard comment is "it was working before we put it into storage". Grease + dust = glue.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 12:01:49 AM »

As Dave suggested, keep them playing and they will be maintenance free. They are not meant to be switched off with a dustcover on them. Play a couple of tunes every day. Gavin is also right, you need to own one to fully understand their operation. They are complicated when things do go wrong, but an original valve amplifier in a classic Juke sounds better than a CD Juke.

Ironically, my father owned and operated over 50 Juke boxes - Seeburgs, Rowes and AMIs - and they were top earners in their day. The Americans made Juke boxes to last a lifetime - and as long as you know how to repair and maintain, they will last a lot longer than a DMD pinball or arcade game.

I will be servicing a Continental II in the next few weeks - fully restored and still in the family. I might run a thread on it  ^^^
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline mickthepin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 12:42:52 AM »
Man I would love 1. But the singles alone I would like to put in it would be hard to find, and exy. !!!

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 11:29:37 AM »
Keep them playing,mechs tend to seize after not being used. People are always bringing jukeboxes in for repair.........standard comment is "it was working before we put it into storage". Grease + dust = glue.

Hmmm, gives me hope of my old Laser disc player to work again

Offline Jango

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 01:07:56 PM »
Nino - mate that would be very interesting to read if you do choose to post that thread.  Jeez you must have had some fun with your Dad tinkering around with all those gadgets in the day...

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2012, 02:23:01 PM »
Keep em working as suggested and you will be trouble free.

Continental II is my all time wish list juke so please do a thread Nino.

Still have not managed to find the time to finish of your dads old jukebox..   (yeah I know I'm hopeless lol)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2012, 07:07:35 PM »
Nino - mate that would be very interesting to read if you do choose to post that thread.  Jeez you must have had some fun with your Dad tinkering around with all those gadgets in the day...

I am VERY fortunate to have been involved at such a young age and I'm doing EVERYTHING I possibly can to pass it on to my son, who loves pinball !

Keep em working as suggested and you will be trouble free.

Continental II is my all time wish list juke so please do a thread Nino.

Still have not managed to find the time to finish of your dads old jukebox..   (yeah I know I'm hopeless lol)

I will do a thread mate, and I might need some help on this one ! Did I give you title strips for your Juke ?
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2012, 07:34:40 PM »
Yeah mate there should be a bag inside my juke. ^^^

Offline Gordo

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2012, 08:43:07 PM »
Hi All,

I have 3 old jukes (that you can see the records playing) and they do need maintenance. I try to run them weekly to keep them oiled, but I still need to raise the bonnet about every month. Not much work required just little adjustments. I restored these from wrecks, so I am a little picky.

They are great for parties. As for the records, to started with whatever I could find, but now I write a list and check eBay.

I have a few contacts in the US (advertise on Ebay) who sell brand new 60's and 70's singles for about $5 each. Postage is about $1 each if you buy a few.

I love my pinballs as well (and have a few restored wedgeheads), but jukes are just great. Resto's take time and cost a bit. Re-chroming runs to about $3000!

Good luck,

Gordo........

Offline piesrule

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2012, 10:33:01 PM »
The old  jukeboxes are awesome, i have a 1955 seeberg j100 which is similar to the one  seen on Happy Days although when they say 100 it only holds 50 singles most of the b sides are crap  so eps are the go. The jukes that bring the best money are the ones that you can see the record being played.