Author Topic: Ball count not advancing  (Read 540 times)

Offline ralph67

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Stoneville
    • ralph1967@optusnet.com.au
Ball count not advancing
« on: February 15, 2012, 10:51:57 PM »
 Gottlieb "surfer" Can anyone help with advice on "balls count not advancing".                                                        The game is resetting then starting game correctly and ball kicks to shooter lane ok. Game plays fine, bonus unit operates correctly. When ball drains bonus added correctly and ball then kicked to shooter lane but will not advance to ball 2! !!!
One-Ball!

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Re: Ball count not advancing
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 11:12:23 PM »
If you can open the game up so you can see the ball count unit and try activating the coils by hand if it works freely the fault is electrical

Offline ralph67

• Forum Posts:
  • Stoneville
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 11:31:41 PM »
If you can open the game up so you can see the ball count unit and try activating the coils by hand if it works freely the fault is electrical
Yes it operates fine by hand but it does turn normally when machine resets and resets itself to ball 1 player 1 but not when you activate the ball trough switch after game has started ..cheers ralph
One-Ball!

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 11:33:42 PM »
Got the schematic ?

I'd be checking the circuit and finding out if the Bonus count unit has a set of switches that close when it reaches "zero".  There's also the switch located in the ball trough (under the apron). From memory, the ball count unit is advanced when the ball rolls over this switch.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline ralph67

• Forum Posts:
  • Stoneville
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 11:58:35 PM »
Got the schematic ?

I'd be checking the circuit and finding out if the Bonus count unit has a set of switches that close when it reaches "zero".  There's also the switch located in the ball trough (under the apron). From memory, the ball count unit is advanced when the ball rolls over this switch.
I have the schematics. re the trough switch when this is operated it resets targets and the switch bank but not ball count unit, this unit does turn when a game is started. Im pretty sure its a switch somewhere and ill check the bonus switches
One-Ball!

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 08:43:31 AM »
Sounds like a switch out of alignment.  Try follow the schematics from the coil and check what switches it uses

Offline ralph67

• Forum Posts:
  • Stoneville
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 12:06:08 AM »
Sounds like a switch out of alignment.  Try follow the schematics from the coil and check what switches it uses
will do ive not had a chance to look but ill post .Just seems odd because its working fine when starting a game.
One-Ball!

Offline oldpins

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane North QLD
    • oldpinballs.com
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2012, 06:45:02 PM »
Read your post earlier in the week & I had a look today at my "Card Whiz' which is similiar to 'Surfer' (2 player, 1976 Gottlieb). Check contacts on ' Add Player Unit Relay'. This is activated when the trough switch is closed. Contacts on this relay also turn the 'Motor'. When the 'Motor' turns, switch contacts close to operate 'target bank reset coil' as well as contacts which advance (pulse) the ' Add player Unit Coil'.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 04:18:20 PM by oldpins »

Offline ralph67

• Forum Posts:
  • Stoneville
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2012, 05:03:17 PM »
This had me F....ed ^.^ but it turned out to be a normally closed switch on Extra Ball relay that was not contacting properly
One-Ball!

Offline goodolddays

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2012, 09:02:03 PM »
Glad to hear you've sorted it out .  ^^^
If its any consolation I spent 3 consecutive days faultfinding an EM last Summer (2010/2011) in the stinking heat (because the fault both drove me crazy and intrigued me) with lots of help from a particular member here (onya Gav  ^^^) .

I need more room ! and more $$$