Author Topic: New Pin Day - Terminator 2  (Read 1525 times)

Offline Jango

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
New Pin Day - Terminator 2
« on: February 25, 2012, 09:48:30 PM »
Hi All
How did I get introduced to the T2 pin?  Well I have not seen or played a T2 since the early 90's when it was released, but I loved it straight away and for quite a few years, I have always wanted one.  I first saw a T2 at "Henry's Diner" in Frenchman's Road, Charing Cross (basically its Waverley) in Sydney's eastern suburbs.  Henry was an old guy in his 60's who ran a dodgy food joint that was basically the only place open at 3am when my mates and I wanted to get some food after drinking solid at the rugby club all evening.  Good old Henry had a few MOB's in his kitchen at all times...  Its not there any longer I believe.  

Anyway, we would go there, play his T2, order cheeseburgers +1 extra, and thick shakes.  We would remain inside the diner whilst another mate ran across the road and started a long fast bowlers run up towards the diner armed with the spare cheeseburger.  We would nominate to Henry:  "Henry, coming in right arm over the wicket."  My mate would pelt this cheeseburger at Henry's shop and we would take off.  Sometimes it was also a thick shake..  Henry would chase us with a baseball bat.  This went on most Saturday evenings for about 1 year.  I don't think he minded as we spent a bit of money each week at 3am.  It is  quite a funny memory.

Anyway, I engaged Tim from Hot Rodded Pins in 2011 to locate a good base game for me as a suitable candidate for a full restoration.  Tim found one with a sensational playfield.  I did not want to hijack Tim's thread re his restoration, so I have started this new pin thread.  This was all done on the back of me viewing Tim's personal restore thread on his machine.  I had not met Tim and I had not seen the machine when I transferred funds for the machine and the resto process.  That's how much I trusted Tim, his work ethic and his workmanship.  I was not disappointed.

I purchased a TONNE of new parts for the restore, including new HK ship + led light mod, new skull, targets, plastics etc etc.  The list was huge.  Tim certainly weaved his magic on this machine.  I picked it up yesterday, and it is simply astounding.  The cabinet artwork is just gorgeous.  He has installed mirror panels on the inside of the cabinet and done a few other custom mods.  I got the Pinball pro speakers and the playfield has been clearcoated to Tim's high standards.  The machine was wrapped up beautifully when I went to collect it.

Tim also received a few calls from people wanting to buy my machine after viewing the progress of the restore on his website.  I won't divulge what they were as I was not party to those conversations, but its significant and testament to the work that Tim does!  He also received a personal email from Steve Ritchie complimenting him on this restore.  Tim really did a remarkable job on my machine and basically told me from day 1 that it would quite possibly be one of the best T2's on the planet when he gets done with it..  I completely agree

I will post some pics later of the machine after I have got it home etc.  I now have 5 pins in my house... all in the space of 15 months I reckon.  My wife has been very good about it all also.

On another note, many many years ago, a friend gave me 2 x original and one off black and white photo's of Arnold.  One is of him sitting at a desk, shirt off with what looks like the Campbell Parade Bondi streetscape in the background.  I know this as I worked in Bondi for years many years ago.  Arnold did his 1980 Olympia at the Sydney Opera House and was great mates with a famous Aussie bodybuilder named Paul Graham.  Paul had a gym in the east of Sydney and Arnold would come to Australia to train / live with him.  Anyway, this is where I think the photo's came from.  The 2nd photo which IS THE REAL JEWEL in my opinion, is a sensational photo of Arnie standing in a PINBALL PARLOUR surrounded by a hot chick, a few kids, lots of EM pins and a pool table.  It is a truly great original one only photo.  I am exploring ways of possibly incorporating that original photo into my T2 machine.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 12:52:50 AM by Jango »

Offline Jango

• Forum Posts:
Re: New Pin Day - Terminator 2
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 11:05:57 PM »
Here are some pics after getting the machine home:

« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 12:54:38 AM by Jango »

Offline Replay

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast Queensland
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 11:16:23 PM »
awesome stuff, the pin looks amazing and your story of why it come about is even better, thanks for sharing

Offline silverball

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 11:49:10 PM »
Another piece to the puzzle......that T2 came from me. Playfield was the best I have seen with virtually no wear,cabinet was shot however. Great to see this baby come to life and look better than new. Tim is a magician.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 12:54:37 AM »
Nice house too Jango.  ^^^
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 10:29:45 AM »
Congrats on being brave enough to do this Jango .
It's certainly paid off in spades for you.
I assume its taking pride of place in the lounge room ?

Now you get to relive the memories of your youth playing a truly stunning example of this game .

Thanks for the great story and pics.

Cheers
Dave
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline Jango

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 11:49:44 AM »
Thanks all.

Silverball - you were also the fellow who recommended me to my kids Mario Bros.  A sensational pin in great nic.  The T2 playfield is virtually flawless after Tim has worked on it.  That's basically why I bought that one, just for the playfield.

goodolddays - Yes mate its in the loungeroom at the moment.  I have 2 upstairs and another 2 in the garage being worked on at present.

Offline Wotto

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 12:10:47 PM »
Congratulations on a SUPERB looking T2
Very envious  ^^^

LOVE the old story as well -  very funny stuff #*#
DW Drums rule !

Offline Jango

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, 01:23:08 PM »
Mate, old Henry used to look and dress exactly like the guy who ran the Diner in Superman 2 did (when Clark Kent goes back into the Diner to kick that rednecks arse) complete with the white gear and white hat.  The bastard used to charge like a wounded bull for his food (allot for us 17-18 year old kids in those days) so I don't think he really minded us playing up just a little.  It was very funny just recalling it for this thread...

Offline Adzman

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2012, 01:37:40 PM »

Stunning example of the T2! I remember this game from the arcades in the 90's and even during the 90's I can't recall seeing a T2 machine in that condition.

"That'll Play"

Offline TSPP

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2012, 02:09:55 PM »
Looks pretty amazing mate. Sounds like the wait was worth it.

Wish you well to play it.
.....something witty here

Offline pinballheaven

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2012, 03:27:59 PM »
Simply sensational! Looks absolutely magnificent indeed. Congratulations on your aquisition, also Tim, you are remarkable!!

Offline v8racefan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast Queensland
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2012, 09:55:53 PM »
sweet looking T2, great story thanks for posting
Pinballs in my collection Elvira, Stern Grand Prix, Bally Corvette, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Judge Dredd, Black Rose and Data East Guns n Roses.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2012, 10:06:11 PM »

Very nice mate !