Author Topic: What is the most over rated pinball  (Read 633 times)

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
Re: What is the most over rated pinball
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2012, 11:48:47 AM »
I don't agree that the price of the game "can only be answered with the money paid for a pinball machine taken into perspective". It is just one factor, and perhaps a big factor in many cases, but I find it difficult to accept opinions expressed in absolutes like that.

For example, while Big Bang Bar is extremely expensive and is **not** the greatest game play of all time (but likely among the most expensive games), by a pure cash definition it would be over-rated, because there is possibly even a Sega (like SST) that might be a better player depending on your tastes. But it's high price is a function of a number of factors - rarity, fun gameplay, unique and extremely well executed theme, unique layout, unique toys, great sounds, brilliant artwork.

I think these discussions are really interesting as it helps me think about other games.

I like some others dislike TZ, and owned and restored one before coming to that conclusion. But is it over-rated? Absolutely not, because its fun-factor is appreciated by a large proportion of pinheads, who must like the more stop-start style it has (and which I do not like) and its incredible array of toys and superb tie in to the series.  
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2012, 12:14:13 PM »
It's the same as 'how long is a piece of string'?

Also the same as 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder' (or BEER holder as some might say)

Personally I fail to see why anyone would see Angelina Jolie as 'beautiful' - to me she has bold features made worse by idiotic puffy (botox injected) lips and ugly, poorly placed and thought through tats......others see her as the most beautiful thing that ever walked the earth???

For me I prefer wholesome 'niceness' like Shania Twain or Sandra Bullock.

As for pinballs - I think it will always come down to personal memories etc. & personal likes/dislikes for various features or themes.
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline Greg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
    • rtbb.com.au
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2012, 12:48:03 PM »

As for pinballs - I think it will always come down to personal memories etc. & personal likes/dislikes for various features or themes.

Bingo

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/
We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2012, 02:19:41 PM »
Most of them are over-rated.
T2 and FT I definately agree with.
" It's not the right time to be sober, now the idiots are taking over"

Offline Steve2010

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2012, 03:03:46 PM »
no no.. for me it always has been and will be Fishtales... i cant stand to be in the same room as that game in attract mode. Even if it was sold at $100 i still would not buy it. Nothing to do with price.. everything to do with game play ( is there anything other than the 2 ramped loops?) and audio..... the audio is like fingernails on a blackboard for me. FT is the only game i have a real dislike to.. ive been bored stupid by many, but i do think im allergic to FT

I have never really gotten into DMDs ..... I suppose I "grew up" with EMs and SS.  I went onto youtube and searched on Fishtales.  You're not wrong Gavin, that audio really strains the system!

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2012, 03:54:51 PM »
no no.. for me it always has been and will be Fishtales... i cant stand to be in the same room as that game in attract mode. Even if it was sold at $100 i still would not buy it. Nothing to do with price.. everything to do with game play ( is there anything other than the 2 ramped loops?) and audio..... the audio is like fingernails on a blackboard for me. FT is the only game i have a real dislike to.. ive been bored stupid by many, but i do think im allergic to FT

I have never really gotten into DMDs ..... I suppose I "grew up" with EMs and SS.  I went onto youtube and searched on Fishtales.  You're not wrong Gavin, that audio really strains the system!

Thank goodness! At last someone agrees with me.. for years ive been a lone voice...LOL

Offline pinballheaven

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #21 on: February 29, 2012, 04:17:20 PM »
AC/DC PRO!

Offline silverball

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2012, 04:21:52 PM »
TZ

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2012, 05:39:34 PM »
the $$ question has to come into it, or how else do u put the purchase/cost for returns into perspective.   there is no other way.

any item on earth has a price tag, pinnys incl ofcourse.  wiothout the $$ part, its impossible to make/invent a level playing field to use as a pro-rata tool.

with big bang bar, i would argue that the machine on looks alone, and its history of how it got to be where it got, is why its a high priced pinny. I didnt say expensive, i said high priced. expensive might mean "over priced" to some, but high priced would mean a high price but worthy of that price. With BBB, gameplay on this machine is excellent, so that game isnt over rated, or over priced. it only becomes over priced when there are many for sale, and many not selling or changing hands. that never happens with BBB.

some of the bally cookie cutters are over rated, but only cause of pricing. bring the inflated over prices down, and the machines become evenly rated. it gets back to say 10 grand for a monster bash or 7 grand for a monster bash etc. at one price to ME, its over rated, but at a lower price it isnt. if u take price out of the argument, there is only another machine to compare it with, and u cant really do that, cause Monster Bash for example, is a perfect example of a Monster Bash pinny.

All the prices have come down anyway, because of the high amount of great stuff coming into the country. a expensive price tag on any machine doesnt mean its over rated, only a super high price tag can make it over rated for some. its all relevant to one's income as well. hard to find any relative measuring stick when it comes to rating any machine against an other. an impossible argument really.

and who swore and said AC/DC Pro was over rated.  blasfamy.lol  %.% %.%

also, u must have had a really bad game on a fishtales Gav, because the middle cross over ramps are only a small part of the game really. fishtales has a large variety of shots actually, and the game has a deep n fun rule set. Of all the machines I have, I really like the audio on Fishtales, and I actually like it loud. There is alot of humour in the pinny, which if u have ever been bored shitless on a real fishing trip, u can see why they took the piss with everything on a fishtales machine. Fishtales is a pinny that always sells quickly, and at good money, so it is a very well liked title, albeit, some people definately find the music yee haaa type country bumpkin stuff annoying. i think its a great pinny personally, and mine is a keeper. The colours n lightshow on fishy, with a sweet coloured playfield with reds,pinks, blues n greens,makes it a winner i would have thought. Leds on a fishy will be mad when i do mine. well priced for the $2300 to $3300 they always sell for. and yes, the factory promo video is a definate hoot for a early 90's movie.lol (maybe a fishtales for xmas Gav !) lol  %.%/1

« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 06:13:48 PM by Caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline tonyt

• Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2012, 07:49:56 PM »
Based on $'s I would say Cactus Canyon.

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #25 on: February 29, 2012, 08:55:18 PM »

Thank goodness! At last someone agrees with me.. for years ive been a lone voice...LOL

I am sure there is a good joke in there somewhere...

Having played Fish Tales a few times, I must say I quite enjoyed it. Maybe the audio was turned down?!?!

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #26 on: February 29, 2012, 10:00:18 PM »
the flapping fish tale noise up top on the factory topper can scare the hell outta ya thats for sure. mine is sooooo LOUD, u can hear it next door.
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline silverball

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2012, 09:32:04 AM »
the flapping fish tale noise up top on the factory topper can scare the hell outta ya thats for sure. mine is sooooo LOUD, u can hear it next door.
Never liked fishtales

Offline Greg

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
    • rtbb.com.au
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2012, 10:06:39 AM »
Shadow - never liked it
http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/
We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline braddo

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2012, 11:07:17 AM »
Seawitch gets a stupidly good good rap consistantly by a lot of people. Don't get me wrong it's a terrific game, but I don't think it's the killer some make it out to be. On the other hand mine needs some resto work so we'll see.
WTB (or possibly trade) - 1980 Stern ALI